Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
@Rhinebeck01 good to know. Based on this I won’t mess w/ it anymore. Seems like this is normal. Overall I agree it did help w/ rattle though. In addition to upgraded bolts I also added some blue locktite.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Rhinebeck01 good to know. Based on this I won’t mess w/ it anymore. Seems like this is normal. Overall I agree it did help w/ rattle though. In addition to upgraded bolts I also added some blue locktite.
@KNN

Yes, I did the Blue Locktite and the upgraded hardware too..

Reactions: KNN

aklino

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I stumbled upon it a few hours ago, and while intrigued over the Amazon options, I didn't want to wait 2 days for Amazon to deliver it, especially since I have a Rubicon Trail snow wheeling trip coming up this weekend, and I don't want to listen to that rattling gate the entire way there and back. So I did what every geek like me would do... Flippity jippity, I modeled and 3D printed it!

I reused the factory 10mm fasteners. I cut the pocket to fit the washers already on those fasteners.

All-in-all, it fits my tailgate pocket PERFECTLY, a hair on the snug side as I aimed for.

If you're interested in this, you may want to follow my posting of it on Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5209585) in case it ever gets updated or remixed. I'll attach my original .STL file here too.

My print settings:
* ABS filament
* 4 walls, floors, and ceilings
* 0.20mm layer height
* 40% cubic infill
* Monotonic top/bottom layers

Enjoy, and happy printing!

Attachments

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. I stumbled upon it a few hours ago, and while intrigued over the Amazon options, I didn't want to wait 2 days for Amazon to deliver it, especially since I have a Rubicon Trail snow wheeling trip coming up this weekend, and I don't want to listen to that rattling gate the entire way there and back. So I did what every geek like me would do... Flippity jippity, I modeled and 3D printed it!

I reused the factory 10mm fasteners. I cut the pocket to fit the washers already on those fasteners.

All-in-all, it fits my tailgate pocket PERFECTLY, a hair on the snug side as I aimed for.

If you're interested in this, you may want to follow my posting of it on Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5209585) in case it ever gets updated or remixed. I'll attach my original .STL file here too.

My print settings:
* ABS filament
* 0.20mm layer height
* 40% cubic infill

That's great man.
Post it up here as well if you have a chance.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3d-designer-section-for-3d-printers.79770/

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase

My print settings:
* ABS filament
* 0.20mm layer height
* 40% cubic infill

That’s awesome! Anyone willing to make me one and sell it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
That’s awesome! Anyone willing to make me one and sell it?
Same; I would pay someone to print it to try it out. If it is a bit tighter fit, I would not have use the Velcro to take up the slack.

Last edited:

aklino

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the kind words, y'all... Here's a few pics. This is the first/rough draft, but after a day of driving around on it... OH. MY. GAWD!!! The rattling is GONE!!!!

The fist pic is of it installed. Second is where it initially makes contact. Third pic is pressed in, making contact with the rubber bumper and sitting flush to the face of the tailgate.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper 1642816175308

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper 1642816197428

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper 1642816217651

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just tried this and it was worse than my factory latch. The problem is there is no front-to-back adjustment. I ended up putting the factory latch back and adjusting it properly.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just tried this and it was worse than my factory latch. The problem is there is no front-to-back adjustment. I ended up putting the factory latch back and adjusting it properly.
@TroyBoy

Could be that you just did not take the time to adjust and re-adjust til until you received the desired results...

I know the aftermarket latch did in fact remedy the rattling issue for me.

Yes, I did upgrade the latch hardware (2 bolts) and used some Velcro on the latch and did make many small adjustments til I go it right... but again, the latch did the job for me/my JL. With the stock latch, i tried but.... could not stop the noise.

No, I am not saying the aftermarket latch will work for all JL's .. to many variables to say that.

Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Ordered. I really need to stop visiting this forum because you guys are really great at spending my money. I’m weak. Must add stuff to Jeep is now hardwired into my brain. It whispers to me every day. “Go ahead, get it….”

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered. I really need to stop visiting this forum because you guys are really great at spending my money. I’m weak. Must add stuff to Jeep is now hardwired into my brain. It whispers to me every day. “Go ahead, get it….”
@Jeepmarkjl

Also be sure to buy new bolts... do not bother using the supplied bolts.. THEN, do the install and keep adjusting .... adjust adjust til you get a good result. It takes a bit of trial and error but worth it in the long run, if you can achieve the desired result..

Can't get the result.... then return the offering, while the Amazon return window is in the mix.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
@Jeepmarkjl

Also be sure to buy new bolts... do not bother using the supplied bolts.. THEN, do the install and keep adjusting .... adjust adjust til you get a good result. It takes a bit of trial and error but worth it in the long run, if you can achieve the desired result..

Can't get the result.... then return the offering, while the Amazon return window is in the mix.
Thanks also order the beefier bolts too. Both should be here by Monday.
When you say adjust what does that entail? Move this part around or finagle the tail gate hinges?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@TroyBoy

Could be that you just did not take the time to adjust and re-adjust til until you received the desired results...

I know the aftermarket latch did in fact remedy the rattling issue for me.

Yes, I did upgrade the latch hardware (2 bolts) and used some Velcro on the latch and did make many small adjustments til I go it right... but again, the latch did the job for me/my JL. With the stock latch, i tried but.... could not stop the noise.

No, I am not saying the aftermarket latch will work for all JL's .. to many variables to say that.
Hi @Rhinebeck01, I think it just didn't work for my JL. Setup is pretty easy, I just tightened it enough so that it could be moved by the tailgate closing around it and then tighten it up. I'm thinking, for my JL, it needs to come forward a bit.

With the stock piece, I did the same adjustment. I started with the piece a little high, a little forward, and loose enough to be moved by the tailgate closing. I then opened the tailgate up and moved the stock piece 1mm more forward and tightened it down. Thus ensuring a tight fit against the rubber stopper.
Sponsored