Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’m guessing I’m lucky, my swing gate does not move or rattle and never has.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
LOL - very! Especially if you have oversized tires.
I have a 315 BFG KO2 hanging on the back raised up using the original RC spare relocate bracket and when I shut my tailgate it’s like a vault door.

There is no visible signs of rubbing at all as there is no paint rubbed off and i installed some strips of Kapton tape in the mouth of the latch so I could see if there was any rubbing and the tape after two years still looks new so Im pretty sure I have no up/down movement and if I close the gate and push and pull it does not move either.

I think the biggest factor on it moving is not being adjusted correctly from the factory which under normal use with even a normal spare causes movement and induces wear on the latch and then if one does not have firm bump stomps installed after going to a larger tire with an offset that pushes the tire out it to with the tire bouncing induces wear as well.

Like I said maybe I’m lucky but so far no rattles but I do have the back glass edge seal that rubs and makes noise if I don’t periodically treat the edge of the swing gate with a wax.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 315 BFG KO2 hanging on the back raised up using the original RC spare relocate bracket and when I shut my tailgate it’s like a vault door.

There is no visible signs of rubbing at all as there is no paint rubbed off and i installed some strips of Kapton tape in the mouth of the latch so I could see if there was any rubbing and the tape after two years still looks new so Im pretty sure I have no up/down movement and if I close the gate and push and pull it does not move either.

I think the biggest factor on it moving is not being adjusted correctly from the factory which under normal use with even a normal spare causes movement and induces wear on the latch and then if one does not have firm bump stomps installed after going to a larger tire with an offset that pushes the tire out it to with the tire bouncing induces wear as well.

Like I said maybe I’m lucky but so far no rattles but I do have the back glass edge seal that rubs and makes noise if I don’t periodically treat the edge of the swing gate with a wax.
I have a 315/70/17 hanging off mine as well and it did nothing but rattle. While I could be in the minority, I am guessing not based upon what I see posted here and on other forums. In the end and though the JL improves the hinges and the latch, it is still not a good solution for 35" + sized tires.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel if mine starts to rattle I will surly consider doing this mod but as of now it’s all good.

Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Thanks for the thread! Just ordered one to help out with my 39” that I have back there!!!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@CarbonSteel

Another month and a lot more miles accumulated on my JL... That tail gate has been dead silent since I added the Velcro. Anyway, the Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper was well worth the $.

Thanks again for the bolts..

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

Another month and a lot more miles accumulated on my JL... That tail gate has been dead silent since I added the Velcro. Anyway, the Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper was well worth the $.

Thanks again for the bolts..
Absolutely--most welcome! Same here, silence is golden. I still want to add the carpeted velcro strip to mine, but have to wait until it is back from the Jeep shop.

Even at the higher cost that I paid, it is worth it not to hear that "cha chunga chunk" sound after hitting a bump in the road.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@CarbonSteel

This last week, I have been doing a lot of back road miles on wash board roads..... roads washed out by some recent heavy rains...

Anyway, absolutely no rattle rattle, clunk clunk from the tailgate....
The Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper with that bit of Velcro has indeed done the deed so to speak..

I was poking around the Amazon website tonight and a very similar Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper can be had there from other vendors now for $20.99... can be had in red and silver color along with black... or the $20.69 one I bought with coupon.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

This last week, I have been doing a lot of back road miles on wash board roads..... roads washed out by some recent heavy rains...

Anyway, absolutely no rattle rattle, clunk clunk from the tailgate....
The Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper with that bit of Velcro has indeed done the deed so to speak..

I was poking around the Amazon website tonight and a very similar Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper can be had there from other vendors now for $20.99... can be had in red and silver color along with black... or the $20.69 one I bought with coupon.
Agree with you; it is a great deal and works like a dream.

Sponsored

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Agree with you; it is a great deal and works like a dream.
I have one as well and tried the velcro. Still get the occasional annoying rattle. I’ve tried adjusting the bumper stop and the latch tons of times any ideas? Thanks for any input

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have one as well and tried the velcro. Still get the occasional annoying rattle. I’ve tried adjusting the bumper stop and the latch tons of times any ideas? Thanks for any input
Make sure that with the spare on the tailgate that it is level. Over time my started sagging a bit and it caused a misalignment that contributed to the rattle.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Make sure that with the spare on the tailgate that it is level. Over time my started sagging a bit and it caused a misalignment that contributed to the rattle.
Good idea, I’ll check for that. Hinge side for adjustments?
Thanks so much!

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good idea, I’ll check for that. Hinge side for adjustments?
Thanks so much!
Yes; hinge side. You have "pre-load" it by adjusting it a little higher than you need. After adjusting, I climbed inside mine and checked the alignment of the tailgate stop opening in the tailgate against the tailgate stop to be sure that it was equal all the way around.

It took a few tries to get it right.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Yes; hinge side. You have "pre-load" it by adjusting it a little higher than you need. After adjusting, I climbed inside mine and checked the alignment of the tailgate stop opening in the tailgate against the tailgate stop to be sure that it was equal all the way around.

It took a few tries to get it right.
Thanks so much, it’s hard to tell when you’re driving for a while I thought the noise was coming from the driver side rear door.
Sponsored