Interior tail gate opening latch

JoFoCoCo

First Name
Josef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Metallic hardtop
I'd like to be able to open the tailgate from the inside if sleeping inside while camping. This is a combination of a JK recliner latch mod (another similar one thread here) and a JL paracord version from @banessi.​
Final Installed version​
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_160726
Fairly simple mod, complicated slightly by proximity locks, but still fairly straightforward. Requires $10 recliner latch and cable, 3 zip ties, and cutting hole in plastic tailgate trim. Latch doesn't open tailgate if locked, so not an additional security concern for access into vehicle. I may add a pull or other handle to help closing the tailgate from inside, using the grommet hole in the picture above.​
Recliner latch (Ebay) - there are similar ones on Amazon, but I don't have prime. The one I ordered had a "clip in" connection that worked great in the original tailgate handle backing plate.​
Installation process (click on pictures for enlarged view):​
Remove exterior tailgate handle using T20 screwdriver. See also this video on how to remove the handle. Remove grommet on interior upper right of tailgate. Insert T20 screwdriver through hole and through conical alignment helper inside tailgate body to unscrew handle retaining block. Screw is captive in handle body, so don't need to worry about dropping inside tailgate interior.​
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_144807
Remove handle retaining block on exterior of tailgate, then remove upper trim and handle. If you have proximity locks, unclip the sensor and switch connector from the handle and feed wire harness back into tailgate interior. Unscrew T20 retaining screw from bottom of handle block.​
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_144304
On interior of tailgate, rotate pink plastic linkage retaining clip 90degrees to disconnect handle linkage from latch body. The first picture below shows the pink linkage clip locked in place, second picture shows clip disengaged. Pictures also show recliner cable mechanism installed (next step).​
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_144501
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_144437
Handle body should now be able to be removed from interior of tailgate to attach recliner release cable. The Z hook on the cable inserts into the channel on the metal handle linkage near the purple linkage retaining clip. No need to disconnect or modify the cable or handle backing assembly. There will be some slop in where the cable hook slips into the channel, but that doesn't impair the original or interior latch operation. The recliner cable already had a "clip in" connector that fit reasonably well into a hole in the handle backing body - I used zip ties to make sure the cable connector stayed in the hole in the handle body.​
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_144115
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_144108
Reinstall the handle backer body with recliner cable back into the tailgate. Reinstall the exterior T20 screw, trim, and handle. Reinstall the handle keeper block and tighten the T20 screw from the interior access hole into the handle keeper block. The new release cable will be temporarily loose until the recliner latch handle is installed into the tailgate trim.​
Apply painters tape on the tailgate trim to be able to mark the approximate installation location of the recliner handle. Loosely hold the tailgate trim in place and estimate the horizontal and vertical location of the recliner latch position on the tailgate trim. For clearance to wiring harnesses in the tailgate, keep the recliner latch location as close as possible toward the driver side of the Jeep, with the bottom of the recliner latch about 3 to 3.5 inches above the bottom of the tailgate trim. Mark the location of the outside of the latch on the tape. Print the PDF template for the latch body at 100% (attached below) and cut out the exterior and interior of the template using xacto knife. Line up the exterior of the template with the location marked on the painters tape, and mark the interior location to cut into the tailgate trim. Cut the tailgate trim with dremel, oscillating tool, or xacto or utility knife, keeping the cut close to the body size of the recliner latch to allow a tight connection. Start the hole slightly smaller than the recliner latch, and increase as needed for a tight fit between the recliner latch and trim.​
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_151906
Insert the recliner latch into the hole in the tailgate trim. Cut two 0.5" x 1.0" pieces of thin sheet metal to act as "ears" to hold the recliner body in place on the trim. Drill 6mm holes in the ears and bend to about 90degrees. Insert 6mm x 10mm screws through the inside of the recliner latch, through the ear, and into a nut (or locknut if desired). Tighten the screw into the ear and nut to keep the recliner latch attached to the tailgate trim. Test fit the tailgate trim to the tailgate to ensure the recliner latch doesn't interfere with lock/proximity/other wiring harnesses or the tailgate itself.​
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_154043
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_154027
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_154017
Finally, connect the cable to the recliner latch mechanism. screw the cable into the latch body and tighten the nuts on the cable against the latch body to lock into place. Reinstall the tailgate trim into the tailgate and test latch for operation both unlocked (should open) and locked (should not open).​
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_154339
Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch 20210411_154347
When removing tailgate trim in future, remember the cable connection and either leave the trim "dangling" on the cable, or disconnect the cable from the latch handle to completely remove the trim from the Jeep.​
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Thanks for posting this Josef. I had seen the paracord version & was planning to implement. Seeing your post I got motivated & decided to move forward. I used your version, I think it turned out well. My wife said it looks like it came from the factory! Thanks for the template as well it printed & worked perfect.

Jeep Wrangler JL Interior tail gate opening latch latch

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
While I have no use for this for the foreseeable future.... this mod is legit. Very cool.

Ozionjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Hopefully you guys can help.

When my stereo is turned up or If hit a bump I get the "open door warning"(tailgate) on my dash.

Im pretty sure something is just loose with the latch system or maybe a sensor? It is the most annoying thing ever when I'm driving at night and it happens and tuns on all of my interior lights.

Do you have any idea of what I should do to resolve this?

thanks!
Sponsored