CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried one of these? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B092CJDT8C

61k8zFadoJS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I bought one and installed it to see if it can eliminate the slop between the tailgate and the OEM latch stop (which I have tweaked in many different ways to stop the rattling to no avail). So far so good, though the bolts that come with it are lame. I replaced them with some flange bolts similar to the OEM.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@CarbonSteel

Saw those on Amazon a few weeks ago.... considered buying but price and the laughable bolts made me not order.. Also, was hoping somone else would install and report here... be a Guinea pig of sorts. 8-)

DO, come back in a week or so and post whether you think the offering has indeed remedied the issues at the latch..

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

Saw those on Amazon a few weeks ago.... considered buying but price and the laughable bolts made me not order.. Also, was hoping somone else would install and report here... be a Guinea pig of sorts. 8-)

DO, come back in a week or so and post whether you think the offering has indeed remedied the issues at the latch..
Price is definitely too much and the bolts are crap, but it does perfectly fit into the gap. The only adjustment is up and down, but maybe it is all that is needed.

I will report back after I get the new 10.9 grade flange bolts installed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Price is definitely too much and the bolts are crap, but it does perfectly fit into the gap. The only adjustment is up and down, but maybe it is all that is needed.

I will report back after I get the new 10.9 grade flange bolts installed.
@CarbonSteel

Specifics on the "10.9 grade flange bolts" if they work out / the offering itself works out would undoubtedly be appreciated by those read this thread/to those that may be interested in this offering.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

Specifics on the "10.9 grade flange bolts" if they work out / the offering itself works out would undoubtedly be appreciated by those read this thread/to those that may be interested in this offering.
@Rhinebeck01 - the flange bolts are M6 x 20mm (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08QR3MW4M). I had to buy 10 of them so if you buy one of the latch bumpers let me know and I will sent you two of them.

I have this thing on for about 3 weeks now and it definitely helps eliminate the rattle of the tailgate. In fact, the only time I have heard it rattle once was coming off a tall speed bump and a pretty good clip, but that was with the supplied cap screws installed. I do know that it is is seating fully against the rubber bumper inside the tailgate because I used some red lipstick on it to see what the pattern was and it engages completely. That eliminates the question as to whether the up and down adjustment is adequate and it seems like it is.

After installing the flange bolts (which I tightened a bit more than the stainless cap screws which were provided), it feels even more solid when closing the tailgate. I did read the supplied cap screws can easily twist off, so I am glad I shifted to 10.9 hex bolts.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CarbonSteel
@others

I ordered the FURYENGRAVER Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper. Will give it a go and report back here.

I have the tail gate on my 2 dr. Rubi adjusted well lets say... only time I hear a clank clank, rattle is on wash board roads, etc... I will test on that and on a JL with a 315/70/17 spare...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel
@others

Found what appears to be the same Chinese manufactured offering on Amazon for $6.00 less so canceled my other order and bought the same one for $6.00 less here...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09473X5X2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will install this week when it arrives and I have the better hardware to do the install.

Will post here once installed and let you and others know what I think of the product offering.
$20ish is more inline with what it should cost versus $30ish--especially with the cheesy screws that come with it. Looks exactly like the one I bought that was $30ish.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$20ish is more inline with what it should cost versus $30ish--especially with the cheesy screws that come with it. Looks exactly like the one I bought that was $30ish.
@CarbonSteel

There is a 10% off coupon you can select... SO, with tax it was $22.37 delivered. I have free shipping with Prime.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to report back on this after running it for a week and taking a 400 mile road trip. During the installation, I discovered that despite me using a torque wrench during the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement installation that the hinge bolts had loosened slightly and allowed the tailgate to drop.

After re-adjusting the tailgate (I will now take the bolts out one at a time and use some orange loctite on them) and setting the latch stop, this has cured the tailgate rattle! Now, even after hitting heavy bumps or rough road, the tailgate does not rattle.

In the end, it was worth the $30, but as @Rhinebeck01 has posted there is a similar model at a cheaper cost. Happy to have solved the tailgate rattle issues!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CarbonSteel

Well, the Grade 10.9 "M6 x 20mm Flanged Hex Head Bolts Flange Hexagon Screws" you sent me arrived as well as the "Tailgate Bumper Cushion Stop, Latch Stop Bumper, Tailgate Stop Stopper Limiter " I ordered from Amazon..

I installed/ tried on two different JL's today. My stock 2dr. JL with stock spare and also a friend's/neighbors JLU with a Duratrac 315/70/17 spare.

Installed and drove both on a 1/2 mi. wash board type stretch... On the stock JL, I got the adjustment spot on, with the first try... with the JLU running the big tire, it took a couple of times adjusting til I/we got it right...

Anyway, ran both the JL and JLU on the 1/4 washboard and GEEEEEZ, no metal to metal clanging/rattle.. very very quiet back there... I do believe that between both the beefier bolts and the beefier superior, latch stop...WELL, we have a winner. I questioned if it would do the deed for the big spare tire JLU but it did...

After fooling with the two JL's, the finally resting place so to speak for the beefy latch stop and beefy bolts that arrived today is my 2dr. JL. Sure is an improvement back there. A real solid feel to it.. For a long time now, I had the stock latch adjusted so I rarely got a rattle on the washboards but now the issue seems to be history so to speak....

My buddy is ordering one for his JLU. He really needs it.... after he saw what the aftermarket latch stop did for his set-up, well he was sold so to speak. With his big tire he always has had a metal to metal clunk/rattle issue no matter how hard he tried to adjust it out..

Anyway, @CarbonSteel ... GOOD FIND on your part! Thanks again for the bolts and encouragement to try the latch after being put off with the cost and piss poor bolts it comes with.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to post this pic of the latch stop bumper installed on the stock JL...

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Latch Stop Bumper Latchstopbumper

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CarbonSteel

Winded up driving on a very very rough back road today... A good few miles... drove a good hour...
Anyway, not a sound.. not a clunk or rattle out of the tail gate... YES, this custom latch stop bumper it seems is the solution to the rattle/clunk JL tail gate blues..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CarbonSteel
@others

Well,it's been 26 days and almost 900 miles, since I installed this add on ..... It has worked out really well, but I was having a rare/slight/minimal, metal to metal sound when on wash board roads.

I adjusted and adjusted and could not get that very slight, occasional, rare noise silenced....

SO, about about a week ago / 200 miles ago or so, I took a neatly cut to fit, stripe of 3M Heavy Duty, black Velcro... the furry side and placed it around the bump stop.

You hardly see the Velcro unless you look for it... Anyway, that totally stopped any metal to metal noise.. In closing this add on works with a tad bit of help lets say.... BUT, yes it works!

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel
@others

Well,it's been 26 days and almost 900 miles, since I installed this add on ..... It has worked out really well, but I was having a rare/slight/minimal, metal to metal sound when on wash board roads.

I adjusted and adjusted and could not get that very slight, occasional, rare noise silenced....

SO, about about a week ago / 200 miles ago or so, I took a neatly cut to fit, stripe of 3M Heavy Duty, black Velcro... the furry side and placed it around the bump stop.

You hardly see the Velcro unless you look for it... Anyway, that totally stopped any metal to metal noise.. In closing this add on works with a tad bit of help lets say.... BUT, yes it works!

I have not had that happen, but I'll add a piece anyway. An ounce of prevention...
Sponsored