3D Designer Section for 3D Printers

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Hope this is the correct place to put this as I wasn't sure where to post it.

One of my hobbies are 3D design and 3D Printing. I designed a Tazer mount that gained some popularity here. I have other things in the works and figured I would post them here for those with 3D printers or friends with 3D printers to make these for them. I will add more links here as I design new items.

Tazer JL Mount
Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4973484
(Picture provided by @Rhinebeck01)
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 1632599600938

Key Lock Covers
Link:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4974567
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers Key Cover
Sponsored

Last edited:

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
What material do you typically print with?

I use a 3D printer a ton to test my designs to make sure what I have in CAD will work well in the real world. Right now (when I have time) I'm working on a rear camera placement and brakelight mount; non-tire mounted. But final product I'll make out of sheet metal.

OP
OP
WilhelmSR

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
What material do you typically print with?

I use a 3D printer a ton to test my designs to make sure what I have in CAD will work well in the real world. Right now (when I have time) I'm working on a rear camera placement and brakelight mount; non-tire mounted. But final product I'll make out of sheet metal.
I use either PLA or PETG depending on what it's for and what the temperatures it could be in.

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2Dr
Background context: I have a 2-door *BRIGHT WHITE* JL which I've worked diligently to remove any red, amber, silver, chrome. Just black & white - which will explain the gist of this post in a bit.

I purchased some HELO 904 rims which will sit in boxes until I do my lift and settle on tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers s-l500

Getting the lift and tires will not happen soon, so I have some time to tweak things in the meantime.

Having a Bright White JL, I thought having the "Rivets" at the end of each spoke white instead of black would be a bit more appealing.

So I yanked one of them (they're plastic), put the micrometer on it, and rendered it in CAD:

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers helo-904-rivet

The model was spot on, but the first print -- printed all white -- was a bit too much

But printing just the tips white and the base black seems to look snazzy:

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_7751

After cleaning it up a bit, it gives the rims a really good highlight:

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_7750

Now I just need to wait for the lift & tires - but will be rendering/printing a few additional things in the meantime.

Prusa printer, ABS filament (since it's going to be exposed to the elements).

Last edited:

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
I've subscribed to this thread. I'm always looking for useful items to print.

Sponsored

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hope this is the correct place to put this as I wasn't sure where to post it.

One of my hobbies are 3D design and 3D Printing. I designed a Tazer mount that gained some popularity here.

Tazer JL Mount
Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4973484
(Picture provided by @Rhinebeck01)
1632599600938.png
First - big hat tip to you @WilhelmSR. I took a few liberties with your design and hope you take it as a complement, as it is intended.

My Tazer Mni was a bit tight with your thingiverse version on both the Prusa and Lulzbot printers that I used to prototype the print, and both are calibrated. Rather than scale the print up to 103% as others had done, I took the time and laid the micrometer across my Tazer Mini and reconstructed your enclosure.

I also need to see blinkin lights - and added an opening to access the USB port so that it doesn't need to be pulled at all.

But the blinkin lights were a must.

If mounted "upside down", the LED and microUSB port would be always accessible and you wouldn't need the clip. So with that, I ventured into crafting a variation that would allow me to see the LED, jack into the USB, and have a not-too-tight fit with my Tazer Mini.

My assembly included a Tazer mockup so that I could check the enclosure's fit virtually.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers assembly

(Above: The right body is the micrometer-measured part used to get the access window and depths correct on the holder body on the left.)

Mounting it upside-down mandated the zip ties be relocated to the outside of the shell. I then added a bottom berm that sits flush against the kick-rail:

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers img1
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers img2

Mine mounts on the metal bar back further behind the kick panel than the one you're showing above from @Rhinebeck01 , so that I can jack in the USB without taking off the kick panel. That's where the additional added berm (right, above) comes in - it rests on the lower Chamfer on the inner bar behind the driver's kick (which can be seen between my thumb and pointer fingers below):

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers IMG_7755

Gotta have the blinkin lights.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@mazer

I like the / your window in the holder, idea...

I use the holder I have (pictured a few times in this thread) for holding a ZAutomotive bypass module and not a Tazer JL Mini or Lite. I use the bypass module with JSCAN / when using a Scan Tool.

IF, I were to use it with a Tazer JL Mini or Lite, I'd like to be able to both see the LED blinking and to access the USB port.

So, if I ever use the holder I have (Thanks for that holder WilhelmSR) for a Tazer JL Mini, I will cut / drill out a small window in the holder so I can see the LED light and access the USB port...

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
First - big hat tip to you @WilhelmSR. I took a few liberties with your design and hope you take it as a complement, as it is intended.

My Tazer Mni was a bit tight with your thingiverse version on both the Prusa and Lulzbot printers that I used to prototype the print, and both are calibrated. Rather than scale the print up to 103% as others had done, I took the time and laid the micrometer across my Tazer Mini and reconstructed your enclosure.

I also need to see blinkin lights - and added an opening to access the USB port so that it doesn't need to be pulled at all.

But the blinkin lights were a must.

If mounted "upside down", the LED and microUSB port would be always accessible and you wouldn't need the clip. So with that, I ventured into crafting a variation that would allow me to see the LED, jack into the USB, and have a not-too-tight fit with my Tazer Mini.

My assembly included a Tazer mockup so that I could check the enclosure's fit virtually.

(Above: The right body is the micrometer-measured part used to get the access window and depths correct on the holder body on the left.)

Mounting it upside-down mandated the zip ties be relocated to the outside of the shell. I then added a bottom berm that sits flush against the kick-rail:

Mine mounts on the metal bar back further behind the kick panel than the one you're showing above from @Rhinebeck01 , so that I can jack in the USB without taking off the kick panel. That's where the additional added berm (right, above) comes in - it rests on the lower Chamfer on the inner bar behind the driver's kick (which can be seen between my thumb and pointer fingers below):

Gotta have the blinkin lights.
Nicely done. Mind sharing the STL?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Sponsored

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More bling for the fun of it.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers AAA2B633-6011-4290-8BDB-ABC289F56ED6
Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 314197C1-ABCD-494C-A2BF-DC3927866AAD

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 09CE2CBC-8579-4EC1-9F3C-CFD4A0EBB7D2

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 3D46BDA9-8B7E-43E6-909E-F1187A1DFA71

Printed with TPU filament. Fits solid and comes off with a gentle tug. Secures over the lug’s inner brim pretty well. I designed a hex-topped version too, but like the cylinder look better.

Last edited:

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
More bling for the fun of it.

AAA2B633-6011-4290-8BDB-ABC289F56ED6.jpeg
314197C1-ABCD-494C-A2BF-DC3927866AAD.jpeg

Printed with TPU filament. Fits solid and comes off with a gentle tug. Secures over the lug’s inner brim pretty well. I designed a hex-topped version too, but like the cylinder look better.
I'd recommend putting a hole or something for pulling them off. When they get wet they could swell and clamp hard onto the nuts. Just a tweak to thick about.

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd recommend putting a hole or something for pulling them off. When then get wet they could swell and clamp hard onto the nuts. Just a tweak to thick about.
They're ultimately pretty thin, and if needed, you can shove a lug wrench right through them to get purchase on the nut. I also have a good sharp knife in the glove compartment.

I've printed extras :)

Being TPU filament, they're pretty manipulateable.

Jeep Wrangler JL 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers 717769E2-E141-4DB1-A065-67B96791D1C1

Last edited: