Sunvisor Rant

jrap

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport, 2016 Ram 1500, 2019 Harley RGU
2019 2-dr JL and I have had 3 broken sun-visors in 3 years of ownership - 2 drivers side, 1 passengers side which hardly ever gets used. These sun-visors come loose on the metal pivot point due to poor engineering. There are 100 ways to make them sturdier, why doesn't Jeep wake up and fix the defect? Instead, they are paying warranty repairs through the ying yang for something that can be reengineered quickly and cheaply. Not only does it break, but it is a safety risk because you only need the sun visor when the sun is blinding your eyes. This thing should be a FEDERAL RECALL for safety reasons!

Yes, you can buy an after-market repair kit to band-aid fix them, but that comes after the owner has struggled, maybe visited the dealer, maybe is out of warranty, and likely frustrated and pissed off. This is a simple part that doesn't break on most other cars, and certainly not on most other Stellantis-built vehicles. My Ram 1500 never had a broken sun visor.

Oh, and now my brand new 2022 Gladiator has the same exact poorly engineered sun-visor clip that is on my 2019 Wrangler - shocking! I can almost feel the thing breaking every time I use it.

I bought 2 aftermarket repair kits to reinforce both vehicles. Not expensive, but a small PITA and should be unnecessary.

Rant over . . .
Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I ordered the reinforcement kit yesterday. The passenger side visor just started flopping yesterday and it gets very little use. Poor design for sure.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

not sure what y'all do with your sun visors but dang y'all are rough on them. on year four of owning my jeep and have not hand a problem at all with mine

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
not sure what y'all do with your sun visors but dang y'all are rough on them. on year four of owning my jeep and have not hand a problem at all with mine
Same here. I know that if I ever do have one break, I'll use the other method that uses a snap ring or a press on locking retainer. Not paying $20 for those overpriced brackets.

OP
OP
jrap

jrap

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The reinforcement kit was waiting here when I brought my Jeep home
While some of us can install Jeep lift kits in our garage, others couldn't swap out a light switch for a dimmer switch if their life depended on it. It's insane Stellantis let's this defect go unresolved and 'assumes' the fix will be people doing their own repairs.

OP
OP
jrap

jrap

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My passenger side broke a year ago, so I fixed it….. and then I fixed the driver side preemptively……..:)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/1770443/

I haven't heard from either one of them since……🤞
Very nice!! As I said, there's a hundred ways to reengineer a fix here, surprised Jeep - known for their great engineering - lets this simple annoying problem go unresolved from the factory, at a huge warranty cost I'm sure

Sponsored

IntrepidXJ

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventr.co
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
GIS Tech
Instead, they are paying warranty repairs through the ying yang for something that can be reengineered quickly and cheaply.
I'm sure they have crunched the numbers and stuck with the solution that is cheaper for them.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Has anyone had the screws supplied with the TACCOM clips back out? The factory screws appear to have a loc-tite type of product on it, but it's clearly not loc-tite. I suspect it's something to keep the screws from backing out over time due to vibrations. I've used a bit of cotton / poly-fil on the threads of a screw before to help prevent screws from backing out, but I'm wondering what product the factory is using and if it's even necessary.

OP
OP
jrap

jrap

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure they have crunched the numbers and stuck with the solution that is cheaper for them.
Hard to believe its cheaper to produce and repair defective sun visor mounts as opposed to a tried and true solution used in virtually every other vehicle. I'd like to meet the bean counter who rejects the notion of building a foolproof version going forward . . .

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
I'm thankful that my eyes have been very resistant to strain from natural sunlight. Never had to use visors, much less sunglasses while driving.

Mind you with my luck, one of those visors will just randomly fall off one day on its own 😆

U EEDIOT

First Name
Scott!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2006 Trailblazer SS
Occupation
Did my time. https://youtu.be/mj1dd0Kcq8A?si=h8gOFKS0rg7hysV6
I'm thankful that my eyes have been very resistant to strain from natural sunlight. Never had to use visors, much less sunglasses while driving.

Mind you with my luck, one of those visors will just randomly fall off one day on its own 😆
And poke your awesome eyes out!
Sponsored