Sponsored

STOLEN TAIL LIGHT

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
original_gorilla_glue_white_bg_v2.jpg

Used this on neighbor's BMW emblem. No way in hell anyone is stealing it anymore.
Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
People suck! THIS is exactly why I have the Owl cam on my Jeep.
According to the Amazon website it says that Jeep Wranglers need an OBD adapter. Did you need to order that too and how was the install?

E59089E4-0A3D-4A96-B3B4-1CC06E5BA553.png

OP
OP
joeyjoejoe285

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
So how many have reported their tail lights stolen again, 1 person? With reading the alert I thought it was going to be a bunch, but after coming here I am wondering if this is truly an issue? Anyone can rip something off a car, side mirrors, badges, etc., what's the true market right now for a used ripped off JL tail light anyways? Vandals are vandals IMO.

For me, I use a dashcam with parking mode with a (mostly) hidden camera in the back, so if it does happen hopefully I'll get a good shot of their face.
Can u post pics of your camera set up? Dash and rear? I am researching options and looking for ideas, thanks!

Triggerfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
Can u post pics of your camera set up? Dash and rear? I am researching options and looking for ideas, thanks!
I don't have any current pics of my setup but it's pretty straight forward- Forward camera goes in front of your rear view mirror, and then you have to decide if you put the rear camera on the glass (if you have a hardtop) or another place (roll bar, inside tail gate, etc.). For me I usually run my hardtop, so it's on the rear window. I am planning on buying a second mount so when I remove the hardtop I can place the camera facing backwards somewhere else.. haven't decided where yet. Just requires a second mount and quickly moving the cable to the new location of the second mount.

As far as cameras go, I like the best, so I have a Blackvue DR750S-2ch which provides 1080p video both front and back during driving and parking mode. There's tons of videos about it on youtube. During parking mode, the camera stays on and buffers memory and when it senses motion or impact it records 3 seconds prior to the trigger and then 30-60 seconds total and places it into a parking mode or impact mode file depending on what the trigger was. So anytime something happens around your car, it gets recorded. I also have it linked to a hotspot where it sends me a text on impacts AND I can immediately view the video of what triggered the impact sensor. Also, on impact videos, the video is immediately uploaded to the cloud for safe keeping (helpful in accidents where someone may tamper with your camera, such as if you are transported to the hospital, etc.)

The cameras run about $350 and you'd have to have a hotspot and/or be close to a wifi where you park that your camera could connect to in order to use the cloud function. If you don't use the cloud, all of the recordings go onto a microSD card inside of the front camera where you can view it via an app on your phone or buy pulling the card and viewing on a computer.

I started buying dash cams about 4 years ago when I had a road rage incident where a guy ran me off the road and I couldn't identify him for the cops. With a high quality dashcam, you have a good chance of picking up a license plate on the cars around you and proving fault for accidents that the cops would just write as 50/50 at fault since they have no proof. I've caught some wacky stuff on my dashcams since (accidents, more road rage, someone spitting on my truck, etc.). With parking mode you capture everything around your Jeep so if the lighting isn't really bad, you may have a good chance of identifying someone messing with your car or whatever.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
**TAIL LIGHT UPDATE** The wiring harness came in super quick and got it all fixed last week. Total was $1500 including the temporary tow light I rigged up. Funny story, of course with the dealer. Service rep calls me and says, "it looks like somebody stole your tail light so i's not covered under your warranty" :CWL::CWL::CWL::headbang::headbang::headbang:
I can get a CJ taillight assembly for something like $25. Am I reading correctly this ended up costing you $1500?! Is the JL taillight 60 times better at shining light compared to the CJ? I doubt it. It better be shooting out laser beams or something for that price. Seems ridiculous Jeep would design a taillight assembly costing that much to replace. It's this kind of thing that gives me pause whenever the idea of buying a new JL re-enters my mind. I would be so pissed off having to shell out that much for a taillight. Hell I am pissed off just reading about it, lol.

Sponsored

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if one of these aftermarket companies will make a cover that bolts on with a nutsert to make a skid/guard for the side and rear that will help with this.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I wonder if one of these aftermarket companies will make a cover that bolts on with a nutsert to make a skid/guard for the side and rear that will help with this.
DV 8 off-road does have one but not for the LED light package. Supposedly if you don't have the LED tail light their smaller. he said if you have the LED package it won't fit that's what DV8 off-road told me it's on their website if you don't have the LED and the regular tail light there is one available on their website. I really want to get it but it won't fit my because I have the LED package.I told them I thought most everyone had that you think you'd make it for the LED packets he said no there's more that don't then do he said. Check out their website it's on there it's just what I want.

Screenshot_20190407-195403_Google.jpg

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
DV 8 off-road does have one but not for the LED light package. Supposedly if you don't have the LED tail light their smaller. he said if you have the LED package it won't fit that's what DV8 off-road told me it's on their website if you don't have the LED and the regular tail light there is one available on their website. I really want to get it but it won't fit my because I have the LED package.I told them I thought most everyone had that you think you'd make it for the LED packets he said no there's more that don't then do he said. Check out their website it's on there it's just what I want.

Jeep Wrangler JL STOLEN TAIL LIGHT 8319D5B8-C21D-4F43-9D8B-CE1A47D48940
That makes no sense the LED tail light is more expensive like 800 bucks who's going to steal a plain one

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
FYI , I just installed the Rugged Ridge light guards and they include in the kit longer more substantial hex screws (3)to the black plastic that holds light in place. The ones they replaced were in fact tiny and I’m not surprised they are a weakpoint!
Sorry should have first stated To the OP that I was horrified Someone would take his tail light! Much like all other forum members, I hope karma is swift! Not sure why the pic is sideways

Jeep Wrangler JL STOLEN TAIL LIGHT 2C0F3286-836B-4E36-B105-65CD72056A8C

Last edited:

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
FYI , I just installed the Rugged Ridge light guards and they include in the kit longer more substantial hex screws (3)to the black plastic that holds light in place. The ones they replaced were in fact tiny and I’m not surprised they are a weakpoint!
Sorry should have first stated To the OP that I was horrified Someone would take his tail light! Much like all other forum members, I hope karma is swift! Not sure why the pic is sideways

Jeep Wrangler JL STOLEN TAIL LIGHT 2C0F3286-836B-4E36-B105-65CD72056A8C
when I saw this at SEMA I was wondering what they were going to look like on other Jeeps. I'm on the fence I like it and I don't like it I don't know. I've always had them on all my trucks and my JK that I had for six years. I had them and they really good on the JK they weren't that big but the lights are bigger now so you have to have the bigger cover. do you have any pictures from behind where I can see both at the same time and a photo from the corner angle about 10 ft away

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
when I saw this at SEMA I was wondering what they were going to look like on other Jeeps. I'm on the fence I like it and I don't like it I don't know. I've always had them on all my trucks and my JK that I had for six years. I had them and they really good on the JK they weren't that big but the lights are bigger now so you have to have the bigger cover. do you have any pictures from behind where I can see both at the same time and a photo from the corner angle about 10 ft away
I felt the same about them, then one night I just ordered them! I thought if i don’t like them I can easily take them off and sell them. I do like them tho... they kind of match the ruggedness of the vehicle.

53478FD5-69A7-4436-928B-EFA358B1CCA8.jpeg
Sponsored