First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Work Hard - Play Harder
Interesting. There goes my theory. Do you have a lift?
Yes, I had the Mopar lift installed at 500 miles with 37” KO2s. The death wobble started small at 7,500 miles and got bad quick. I had everything checked for wear and torque, an alignment, and the tires balanced/rotated twice with no improvement. So we replaced the control arms and track bar with Metalcloak so we could adjust the caster. This improved the drive a lot but DW was not entirely gone. Finally replaced the SS with the Falcon 2.2 and it drives great and all DW gone. I know everyone says the SS is just a bandaid and not the real problem, but I have had everything checked over multiple times and replaced parts for $$$$ and can’t find anything else. So until Jeep finds more than a bad SS, I am not sure what else I can do.
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Interesting. There goes my theory. Do you have a lift?
We are not looking at a single issue, some guys will just have a tire out of balance, some will have bad stabilziers, some have lifts and some control arm/track bar whatever problem. Temperature could be effecting the bad stabilizers.

Mine just started, known bad stabilizer number, 1500 miles, stock, just the 70 mile an hour hit a bump and shimmy till ya slow. Dealer checked out front end and tires, no obvious issues other than stablzier.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, I had the Mopar lift installed at 500 miles with 37” KO2s. The death wobble started small at 7,500 miles and got bad quick. I had everything checked for wear and torque, an alignment, and the tires balanced/rotated twice with no improvement. So we replaced the control arms and track bar with Metalcloak so we could adjust the caster. This improved the drive a lot but DW was not entirely gone. Finally replaced the SS with the Falcon 2.2 and it drives great and all DW gone. I know everyone says the SS is just a bandaid and not the real problem, but I have had everything checked over multiple times and replaced parts for $$$$ and can’t find anything else. So until Jeep finds more than a bad SS, I am not sure what else I can do.
Was your OEM steering stabilizer one of the ones with the bad date code?

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Have the shimmy and have code 085 on mine so looks like that’ll have to be swapped out.

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi everyone. Just an update on my end. Got the wobble at about 2K miles. Steering stabilizer/damper # classified as one that is flawed (#151). Dealer ordered factory stabilizer about two weeks ago and somehow arrived a couple days ago. Dealer installed. I asked what else was done. No balance or alignment but ensured all front end parts were tight. I drove it on the highway for a while and hit some bridges and so far, no wobble. I'll keep everyone posted.

Sponsored

#HERJL18

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Work Hard - Play Harder

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Mine is a “good one” and I had it again today. First time it has happened to me while warm. I guess it is time to order a stabilizer.

hammerheadnc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 3.6L (Punky), 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Big Red)
Has anyone worn out a different brand stabilizer? I have read where some have replaced the OEM more than once. Perhaps it is poor oil choice in the dampener? I know with my motorcycles fork oil can make all the difference in the world. Seems like this could be a similar concept?

@JeepCares

Just a thought

Steve

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the Death Wobble since I bought the Jeep from what I can remember. I thought it was just the way the taller tires rode until I noticed the news reports.

My date code is #183, so I'll be taking it in for service ASAP. I dread having to explain/convince them that it's an issue. My dealer (so far) though has been helpful for the other issues I've had though, so we'll see. Like other have done, I'll update as soon as I know anything.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
ok just a follow up. Brought my 2018 JLU vehicle to The 4x4 place in lake hopatcong for my wobble/vibration/DW issue. I also purchased the Falcon 2.1 steering stabilizer for non lifted vehicles. First thing they did was check my balance of the front tires, which was off, then they checked to see if any thing was loose which turned up to be fine. Lastly they installed the SS and I have to say the jeep rides like it was new. Im thinking that my issue which progressively got worse could have been a wheel balance issue. Bringing it in again just to check the alignment and install my track bar brace

Sponsored

ckor

First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Mine just started doing it at about 27,000 miles. Mopar lift 37” tires. I believe it’s castor. Ordered teraflex drop bracket and steering stabilizer. I’ll post once I get them installed if it helps. Had a JK with a 4 1/2” Metalcloak game changer. Had death wobble until I installed drop brackets.

CB504498-D21A-446A-BBDD-19D7F34DA63F.jpeg
Jest installed Teraflex EF 2.2 steering stabilizer. Wobble gone. Still need to install drop brackets and yeti track bar.

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
ok just a follow up. Brought my 2018 JLU vehicle to The 4x4 place in lake hopatcong for my wobble/vibration/DW issue. I also purchased the Falcon 2.1 steering stabilizer for non lifted vehicles. First thing they did was check my balance of the front tires, which was off, then they checked to see if any thing was loose which turned up to be fine. Lastly they installed the SS and I have to say the jeep rides like it was new. Im thinking that my issue which progressively got worse could have been a wheel balance issue. Bringing it in again just to check the alignment and install my track bar brace
Hi. My factory SS was identified as faulty. Had it replaced by dealer this week and am still in the process of testing to ensure the DW is gone. My question to you is - when you installed your SS, aside from eliminating the DW, can you describe what you mean by it rides like new? I'm a first time Jeeper and even with my new SS, I find it very bumpy and jumpy when hitting bumps. I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or if a FAlcon SS would make it ride much smoother. Thanks!

Grayce's mom

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara 2018
X-post
My Sahara is in the shop right now. A couple weeks ago I was getting off a highway. It was wet out but I was only traveling about 30mph. The Jeep began a front end driver's side drift sending me towards the guard rail. I stopped the vehicle, turned the wheel, and started driving again and the car continued towards the guard rail. I put the car in park, put it back in drive, and tried again. The car moved in the correct direction but I drove about 10mph the rest of the way home. I figured it was the wet pavement or maybe someone had spilled oil from their car and mine slipped on it. A couple days later I was driving 75mph on a highway and I hit a rough patch. It felt like the car lost it's steering. Luckily I got control of the car, as I was next to a tractor trailer. I finally called service. My Jeep has been in the shop for over a week. At first they kept telling me they couldn't replicate the problem. Finally, yesterday, thelady in the service department called me and said something about a steering coupling (?) shehthen told me it's a known Jeep issue and that the part is back ordered. They have to rent me a car and I have no idea when it'll be done. They said they were given permission to use non mopar parts to fix it. I'm not sure I agree with that but what can I do? Anyway, I found this article and it may be repetitive so sorry if it is. I now worry about safety.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tflcar.com/2018/09/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-steering-problem/amp/