Sponsored

soft top or convertible roof

mattjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRANGLER UNLIMITED SAHARA 4X4
Hey everyone,

i want the soft top on the jeep because its classic, nice looking, and completes the jeep. if I'm buying a jeep I'm doing it right. my parents are trying to convince me the convertible top thing is worth the extra 5 gs. What do you guys think about the two? I don't care about the extra money, just looking at what everyone thinks.

i know soft top there're certain things you must do to take care of it. if you think soft tops are better please let me know how they are. in the winter. i live in the northeast so winters can be brutal
Sponsored

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
If you het the hard tip, comes wired with wipers, wiper fluid tube, electrical harness. Can add the soft top later. Plus, if your soft top gets damaged during summer, can always put the hard top on. This is what I did. If you got storage space, go for both tops

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
If money is not a factor the convertible is a no brainer. Being able to raise and lower the roof without pulling the windows would be great. IMHO the biggest drawback to the softtop is the noise….not wind noise but traffic noise from other nearby cars and trucks.

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
I love the one-touch power top. I use more than I would ever the soft or hard top to open. Heading to the store and it is cloudy - open it. Starts to rain - push the button to close it. Everyone has their preference. The hard top or power top also makes using the cargo area much easier with the glass that just flips up.

acenines3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
Occupation
Retired
My Jeep came with the hard top and I wanted a soft top for summer. I found a soft top on FB market place for$1600 new in the box and bought it. I just switch them at the change of the season.

Sponsored

BlackTanJL22

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 2dr JL Black/Tan 6cyl stick
Buy the hardtop/dual top from the factory so it’s wired and plumbed. Get better prices on the roofs plus it’s in the financing vs. Parting out with 2K later. 2K later for bigger rubber and mirrors for when the doors are off!!

RoadRouge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
It's a personal preference. I have had the Sky One Touch for about two months now. I love the convenience of it. The downside for me is that you cannot go completely topless. Although some folks have removed the Sky One Touch roof, you're not supposed to. Honestly, it looks like a PITA to do so as well. I went with the SOT because of the convienence and thought it would be rare that I would want to go completely topless. Since I have had the Jeep a couple of months I realize I would like to go completely topless. I guess it is a case of wanting what i can't have. I am already planning my next Jeep and it will be a hard top that I would quickly buy a fastback style soft top to use in summers. Oh, but I will be keeping the Jeep with the SOT though!

Richris1

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 392
I’ve have both …. Hard and soft top. I also owned a skytop for a year. I now have chosen to own the hard top along with a Bestop soft top as my choice going forward.
I run the soft top 90% of the time. The flip back front section is basically a one handed process, and that is the view/feel you’ll look at 100% of the time if you’re the driver on the one touch skytop. I did like the convenience of the one touch…..Only drawback is…..your basically stuck with the hard top frame “look” always. I like the total look and openness of top all the way down if desired, the safari/bikini top look, naked doors off look, etc...
If I want the hard top, I have that option, (and the Top Lift Pro to take it off by myself.…priceless)
I also have the flip back Bestop front section on my hard top as well (well worth the price IMO).
Just a matter of preference, but I thought, while the skytop is very convenient, Its Just a bit too limited.

Richris1

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 392
It's a personal preference. I have had the Sky One Touch for about two months now. I love the convenience of it. The downside for me is that you cannot go completely topless. Although some folks have removed the Sky One Touch roof, you're not supposed to. Honestly, it looks like a PITA to do so as well. I went with the SOT because of the convienence and thought it would be rare that I would want to go completely topless. Since I have had the Jeep a couple of months I realize I would like to go completely topless. I guess it is a case of wanting what i can't have. I am already planning my next Jeep and it will be a hard top that I would quickly buy a fastback style soft top to use in summers. Oh, but I will be keeping the Jeep with the SOT though!
EXACTLY Lol! ….I think we were responding at the same time

JLUCQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Personally not a fan of the sky one touch. I'm sure it's convenient but I run no roof, no doors all summer and leave it in the garage when it rains. I have been considering a soft top though. Love the safari look and I did get caught in the rain a few times this summer.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
If money is not a factor the convertible is a no brainer. Being able to raise and lower the roof without pulling the windows would be great. IMHO the biggest drawback to the softtop is the noise….not wind noise but traffic noise from other nearby cars and trucks.
The newer premium soft top doesn't require removing windows to open. Just 2 latches and it folds back over the cargo area behind the back seat. Much better than older models. If you unlatch at a stoplight and chuck it back while accelerating at around 15mph, it will fold back by itself. Pushing a button for $5k more seems like a luxury. Especially considering you can't add a hard top later on the sky one touch.

OP
OP

mattjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRANGLER UNLIMITED SAHARA 4X4
Thanks for all the responses guys, appreciate the help. How does the convertible look with the top back because I see in the keep build look and kind of looks stupid compared to the softtop.

you can take the full tip off right, it looks like it’s just a moon roof

madm73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Willys, 21 HD Pan America
We have a Sky One Touch and use it daily. We live up north, my best guesstimate is 90% of Jeeeps we see daily have the roof on, both hard top and soft top. We have the top open all the time. Its easy and convenient. If the Sound and Sun package is still available its a great deal.

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
The newer premium soft top doesn't require removing windows to open.
Is this accurate? I have never heard/seen that either soft top can be put back with the side/rear windows in place.

As for what to go for - all I've ever known are soft tops -and I have no desire to own a hard top or SOT. To me, Jeep = soft top and doors off (my doors have been off since May, and looking at the weather for the next 10 days here in NEPA, they're not going back on anytime soon).
Sponsored