Sponsored

soft top or convertible roof

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Your biggest problem with the soft top in winter is that you can't take a scraper to the windows. That and the weight of severe heavy snow, which can also impact the SOT. If you have a garage that is a non-issue.

I have neither the soft top or SOT because of snow weight (4' of snow on it is always a possibility) and desert sun & dust in summer. It's too seldom when going naked is pleasant. But if it wasn't for that, I'd be dual top if I had a place to store the hard top and SOT if I didn't.
Sponsored

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
We got the Sky One Touch since my wife wanted a hard top and we'd be too lazy to take it off. Plus, we don't have a good spot to keep the hard top once it's been removed. I'd do it all over again no questions asked.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Didn't read 3 pages, but my MUST HAVE is access to the rear compartment. Having the window lift up is the only way I could ever go. Love my hard top.

G.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Didn't read 3 pages, but my MUST HAVE is access to the rear compartment. Having the window lift up is the only way I could ever go. Love my hard top.

G.
We run the soft top without windows with a Bestop duster installed as much as possible, there's no way my wife could reach in from the window in any case.

Haven't seen any reviews, but if the flip up window is a must have, EZ Trunk makes the EZ Window.

TMD78

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back again with JL#3, 2 door Willys
If you have the storage buy both hard and soft tops for seasons. But order the jeep with the hard top so you have defrost installed for the winters. I ran out of space to have both, and now I use the hardtop with the sun rider as a decent compromise but not the same as having the full top off (82216370AA)

Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The way I use the tops on my Wrangler is not how I thought I'd use them when I got my hard-top Wrangler. I thought I would just use a Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop to get that open-air experience. It takes literally seconds to open the roof with a Sunrider, and I like sun-roofs on other vehicles.

But I found through a couple of years of Wrangler ownership, that I pretty much leave the Freedom panels on in the day time (I live in sunny Southern California). I go backless as often as I can, since it only takes 15 minutes to remove or install the hardtop with a TopLift Pro, and I don't carry rear passengers (especially since quarantine means I don't drive co-workers out to lunch).

I'd suggest getting the hardtop and hold off on a soft-top option, since there are other options that you might like better than OEM. Figure out how you're going to use your Jeep by using your Jeep, first. I think I read on this forum, "Let the vehicle tell you what you need to modify, upgrade, or fix before spending time, money, and space needlessly."

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
I mean, first off, if you're paying the bill, then it doesn't matter what your parents say/think. Let them make decisions on the Jeep that THEY'RE buying.

If you want a soft top, buy a soft top. $5K is A LOT of change that could be better spent elsewhere. That much scratch will get you a nice lift + tires/wheels, fully installed.

I would encourage you to try to find a soft top that you can drive on the freeway. Either at a dealership (might be hard at the moment) or join a local Jeep club and ask if someone will let you take theirs out (with them riding, I'm sure).

I went hard top for a few reasons, but after having it for a few months, and going through the process of taking the top off, I'm definitely looking forward to buying a soft top for the summer months.
I agree with all of this. Best post in the thread and here's the worst one coming up:
Your parents are trying to convince you to get the 5G top? Odds are that you aren't entirely paying for this on your own and your parents are helping their kid buy an expensive Jeep. Odds are also that this will be the type of kid who grows up to be successful and then looks down at others like "I worked hard for everything I have!"

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
The rear window staying in place is what killed it for us. We went dual top, soft in summer and hard in winter.

As long as you can store the hard top, I'd say dual top is definitely the best option.

The only way I'd really consider SOT is if I lived in an area where you would not want to run the soft top year round (like, say NY) AND did not have a place to store the hard top when off. Then the SOT would get you 80% of what you want, and let you do it as often as you can with the soft top. Going hard top only with no storage would severely limit how often you could go topless.
Yep - that and the road noise over the hard top. Granted I've seen inserts you can get now for the one-touch to help quieten it some but... its still a soft top that you can't easily lower/remove completely. Hard top and soft top work better for me here.

tomslusher

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2002 Wrangler X
I'm not that guy from NY who would get pissed if you didn't like his MYTop, but I did order one (It's on backorder). It's an electric softtop that works just like any convertible top on a car. You can like whatever you want, doesn't bother me. But the OPO should check out their website and see if that is a option he would like. Worth a look.

OP
OP

mattjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRANGLER UNLIMITED SAHARA 4X4
I agree with all of this. Best post in the thread and here's the worst one coming up:
Your parents are trying to convince you to get the 5G top? Odds are that you aren't entirely paying for this on your own and your parents are helping their kid buy an expensive Jeep. Odds are also that this will be the type of kid who grows up to be successful and then looks down at others like "I worked hard for everything I have!"
Not true in any means, I am paying for this on my own, I have my own job and got a raise so I wanted to buy my own car. Don’t assume anything of person because of one post that there parents are trying to make sure you buy the right way. I work hard too bud, you didn’t invent the idea of working hard. I work hard for my
Money too putting 50+ hours a week. I work hard so I can buy want I want. Your what’s wrong this country because I asked for parents advice your first thought is there getting helped paying for it. I worked everyday during Covid and work even harder now to save up for this. Don’t assume anything because that’s how you stay at the bottom.
And FYI not everyone looks down at other people, I’ve been sides of being broke and having money.
I guess your parents didn’t hug you enough but before yoy
Make judgment over the computer to a person you haven’t even meet shows the type of person and what you’re begging to come.

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
i have both. flipping the soft top back without taking anything else off is pretty much open front and back seat so i think it is the same as the sky touch in that sense. stop flip it back. starts to rain. stop flip it back. takes 30 secs. i have a hard top also. i like having it for he winter here in NEPA.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
No it's not false. Read it carefully. I didn't say to lower it all the way, just back to behind the rear seats....basically to where the SOT puts it.
right exactly! i knew what you were saying.

OP
OP

mattjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not that guy from NY who would get pissed if you didn't like his MYTop, but I did order one (It's on backorder). It's an electric softtop that works just like any convertible top on a car. You can like whatever you want, doesn't bother me. But the OPO should check out their website and see if that is a option he would like. Worth a look.
I just looked up what you said and that’s is dope, probably the coolest thing I’ve seen

OP
OP

mattjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your biggest problem with the soft top in winter is that you can't take a scraper to the windows. That and the weight of severe heavy snow, which can also impact the SOT. If you have a garage that is a non-issue.

I have neither the soft top or SOT because of snow weight (4' of snow on it is always a possibility) and desert sun & dust in summer. It's too seldom when going naked is pleasant. But if it wasn't for that, I'd be dual top if I had a place to store the hard top and SOT if I didn't.
Even the sot isn’t as protective as the hard top with snow? Would t it be just as good because it’s a hard top?

OP
OP

mattjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just looked up what you said and that’s is dope, probably the coolest thing I’ve seen
How long ago did you order and what’s the delivery time looking like
Sponsored