Sponsored

Can we please get a hard top convertible...?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Ok...so let me assume that a reason why you might not prefer the Bestop Sunrider here is cost, or maybe love of the hard top.

This is what I want: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-for-manufacturers.16236/page-12#post-1105903

Orange = telescoping mechanism
Green = folding mechanism (rotates forward towards front of Jeep to bring tops down)

iris-copy-jpg.jpg
Interesting....I'm thinking about where to affix the green portion...

Perhaps....on each side of the vehicle, that green pair (one pair on each side,) which I'll consider vertical members (even though they rotate to become closer to horizontal when the Freedom panels are closed, could spin on a member that attaches to maybe, where the soft top rails normally do...I'd have to see. There are some screws for door handle grips...but not study enough....

Fully extended or beyond fully extended draw slides come to mind for the telescoping you describe.

~~~~~~~~~

I like where you idea builds upon my 2018 "train wreck" for this.

I tried using miter track

View attachment 406845

and knobs (with hex bolts)
View attachment 406847

Velcro ties were attached around the bolt that goes in the knob and around the freedom panel handles.

I forget how I secured the track..but it was through the track's built in holes somehow.

It was so dangerous I could have served myself a law suit. ;)

I missed seeing the Freedom Panels as a single unit that you did....smart.

I could have sworn that somebody had an idea on the forum with hinges, granted involving many holes, and something that couldn't be opened or closed while seated.

The repurposing of some of the freedom panel handle bolt with a longer one, to serve as an attachment point to the track is novel too.

Good concept on your part sir!
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Ok...so let me assume that a reason why you might not prefer the Bestop Sunrider here is cost, or maybe love of the hard top.

Interesting....I'm thinking about where to affix the green portion...

Perhaps....on each side of the vehicle, that green pair (one pair on each side,) which I'll consider vertical members (even though they rotate to become closer to horizontal when the Freedom panels are closed, could spin on a member that attaches to maybe, where the soft top rails normally do...I'd have to see. There are some screws for door handle grips...but not study enough....

Fully extended or beyond fully extended draw slides come to mind for the telescoping you describe.

~~~~~~~~~

I like where you idea builds upon my 2018 "train wreck" for this.

I tried using miter track

View attachment 406845

and knobs (with hex bolts)
View attachment 406847

Velcro ties were attached around the bolt that goes in the knob and around the freedom panel handles.

I forget how I secured the track..but it was through the track's built in holes somehow.

It was so dangerous I could have served myself a law suit. ;)

I missed seeing the Freedom Panels as a single unit that you did....smart.

I could have sworn that somebody had an idea on the forum with hinges, granted involving many holes, and something that couldn't be opened or closed while seated.

The repurposing of some of the freedom panel handle bolt with a longer one, to serve as an attachment point to the track is novel too.

Good concept on your part sir!
That's exactly where I was thinking of attaching the pivots... one pair on each side above the doors. I'm sure they're strong enough, and there seems to be enough room for some sort of mechanism to fit. I was thinking something as simple as a drawer glide with some sort of latch when it gets to the rear position.

I am concerned about connecting the freedom tops together though. I was considering just two 1/2" metal "straps" between the latches, but am unsure if the latch bolts would be able to provide enough support. Some sort of support frame the same size as both tops could be possible, but would be heavy/expensive and end up looking messy inside (specifically where it would have to go around the front outer latches). A center third pivot & telescoping mechanism is likely the best solution, but that kind of kills the freedomness.

It's funny you posted those knobs... I'm actually using some right now on another thing I've been testing out in the same exact spot: door gap wind blockers. Still need to modify the fitment as there is some slight rubbing with the freedom tops on, but they do seem to reduce the wind entering the cabin at higher speeds. Fun fact: the JL's door is curved from front to back.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can we please get a hard top convertible...? PXL_20201128_183604006

Jeep Wrangler JL Can we please get a hard top convertible...? PXL_20201128_183354332

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
That's exactly where I was thinking of attaching the pivots... one pair on each side above the doors. I'm sure they're strong enough, and there seems to be enough room for some sort of mechanism to fit. I was thinking something as simple as a drawer glide with some sort of latch when it gets to the rear position.
At some point we should PM. For now, know, relevant to this discussion, that I recreated the LOD Offroad Rack two summers ago, because, just like you, I like to tinker.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...estroyer-4-door-sliding-roof-rack-option.html

I wasn't in love with how LOD's drawer slides, despite being stainless steel, were exposed to the elements, risking being gummed up by road debris, etc. By no means do I mean to disparage the product, but I choose to encapsulate the slides in a 3 sided long box, the fourth side made out of garage door brush seal to protect the slides when not extended.
Jeep Wrangler JL Can we please get a hard top convertible...? 1609361105218

I used this below manufacturer's slides, stainless steel, with locking abilities when closed or fully open. And these are fully extendable heavy duty slides.

http://www.ryadon.com/product-detail/?id=395

I needed a pair of the 60" ones but clearly shorter ones would be indicated here.

I am concerned about connecting the freedom tops together though.
There's two concerns: how to do it, and if it should be done at all.

As it regards how to do it, each freedom panel is roughly a mirror image of the other, especially with respect to the handles, right?

Well your idea about using the bolts already securing the handles--or getting longer identically threaded bolts and sticking brackets from two passenger side panels to two driver's side panels and these handle bolts, pairing the handles on each side of the vehicle's midline that are equidistant from the front of the vehicle should help them operate as a unit.

This is a strong idea. I say so because if each panel operated independently you'd need, I think two additional drawer slides, one for each panel, each closer to and equidistant from the vehicle's midline. Besides, you're not going to be able to open one front passenger's side only, right? The panels overlap.

I was considering just two 1/2" metal "straps" between the latches, but am unsure if the latch bolts would be able to provide enough support. Some sort of support frame the same size as both tops could be possible, but would be heavy/expensive and end up looking messy inside (specifically where it would have to go around the front outer latches). A center third pivot & telescoping mechanism is likely the best solution, but that kind of kills the freedomness.
As it regards a center attachment point or my 2 additional attachment points, one for each panel that are equidistant from and closer to midline--in either case--what would you connect such a device (or in my case devices) to?

This is why I thought your connection of the panels (albeit with removable bracketry) down the midline as brilliant: the missing thing I wasn't seeing.

It's funny you posted those knobs... I'm actually using some right now on another thing I've been testing out in the same exact spot: door gap wind blockers. Still need to modify the fitment as there is some slight rubbing with the freedom tops on, but they do seem to reduce the wind entering the cabin at higher speeds. Fun fact: the JL's door is curved from front to back.

You enjoy creating JL accessories.....so do I!

We should probably take your idea to PM for further discussion.
Sponsored