Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I've done forum (e.g. roof rack list) and internet research but seek additional opinion.

A few times of year I need a roof rack but would rather it (mostly) off otherwise.

Easy to install/take off: roof rails can't support the weight and appear only hard top compatible.

Does anyone know of a good rack, ideally cowl and back bumper attached, that isn't that hard to (mostly) remove when not needed? It could be JK only as JL versions should be forthcoming from the maker.

Maybe the Gobi and an engine crane to disconnect the roof portion is my play. I'm not rich but price is where I'm somewhat flexible.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Spigster

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I realize this isn't a direct response but I also have the need for the occasional roof rack and have a premium soft top on my JLU Sahara. My needs are the occasional kayak to be transported somewhere locally or a piece or two of lumber to be brought home from Home Depot.

I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GEWA5MU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The price for both roof rack and the baggage cage seemed too good to pass up. The clamps fit on the roof rails, although I used a hammer to change the angle of attack a bit to that the clamp piece wouldn't hit the door as it closed. The cross rails, at 54 inches, are a bit too short for the JLU. Fortunately, I have similar cross section 60 inch bars I can use instead. If you don't, Home Depot sells aluminum and steel square tubes that would probably work, for another $20 or so per rail.

Here's photos of the before and after work with the hammer to make the clamp work on the roof rail. Just a few taps using an anvil I have that is made out of a one foot section of railroad track.

I wouldn't trust this setup with too much weight. And anything carried will be securely tied down.

q,m=3b2014f33ece1aa5be77539762a07442,x=,t=25-iv5920?key=Yi1oZ3hIY1JBRWhfUHQ4WXoyczNseF8zTzhNV2R3.jpg

e,m=3b2014f33ece1aa5be77539762a07442,x=,t=25-iv5919?key=clgyRFhrRFdlU2d4Nm1MdnZ3VnVwZUlnMUtCSmtR.jpg

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I realize this isn't a direct response but I also have the need for the occasional roof rack and have a premium soft top on my JLU Sahara. My needs are the occasional kayak to be transported somewhere locally or a piece or two of lumber to be brought home from Home Depot.

I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GEWA5MU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The price for both roof rack and the baggage cage seemed too good to pass up. The clamps fit on the roof rails, although I used a hammer to change the angle of attack a bit to that the clamp piece wouldn't hit the door as it closed. The cross rails, at 54 inches, are a bit too short for the JLU. Fortunately, I have similar cross section 60 inch bars I can use instead. If you don't, Home Depot sells aluminum and steel square tubes that would probably work, for another $20 or so per rail.

Here's photos of the before and after work with the hammer to make the clamp work on the roof rail. Just a few taps using an anvil I have that is made out of a one foot section of railroad track.

I wouldn't trust this setup with too much weight. And anything carried will be securely tied down.

q,m=3b2014f33ece1aa5be77539762a07442,x=,t=25-iv5920?key=Yi1oZ3hIY1JBRWhfUHQ4WXoyczNseF8zTzhNV2R3.jpg

e,m=3b2014f33ece1aa5be77539762a07442,x=,t=25-iv5919?key=clgyRFhrRFdlU2d4Nm1MdnZ3VnVwZUlnMUtCSmtR.jpg
I'm confused by two things you said sir:

* "have a premium soft top on my JLU Sahara"

"The clamps fit on the roof rails"

I thought only the hard top had a rain gutter to attach rails to.

I've missed in your post where your attachment is or exactly what's different between the two pictures you included--but appreciate your comments. : - )

Spigster

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I'm confused by two things you said sir:

* "have a premium soft top on my JLU Sahara"

"The clamps fit on the roof rails"

I thought only the hard top had a rain gutter to attach rails to.

I've missed in your post where your attachment is or exactly what's different between the two pictures you included--but appreciate your comments. : - )
I have rain gutters on my JLU Sahara with a soft top. Or, if not rain gutters, an metal rail that serves the same purpose in terms of holding the feet for a rack.

The difference in the two pictures is the angle of the bottom piece of metal. in the top picture, it angles up slightly which made the top of the door nudge the bottom of the bracket. When I bent it down slightly, they do not bump as you close the door.
Sponsored