tomslusher

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2002 Wrangler X
How long ago did you order and what’s the delivery time looking like
I ordered about 4 or 5 months ago. They first told me they were about 2 to 3 months out. Last time I talked to the installer a month ago he said I was 26 on the list. I might wait for spring to install it.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
i want the soft top on the jeep because its classic, nice looking, and completes the jeep. if I'm buying a jeep I'm doing it right. my parents are trying to convince me the convertible top thing is worth the extra 5 gs.

What do you guys think about the two? I don't care about the extra money, just looking at what everyone thinks.

i know soft top there're certain things you must do to take care of it. if you think soft tops are better please let me know how they are. in the winter. i live in the northeast so winters can be brutal
Semantics, but:
  • Soft top = "Convertible" (fabric-over-frame construction capable of being fully folded/lowered)
  • Convertible ≠ Sky One Touch
  • Sky One Touch = "SOT" = esoteric power sliding sun roof option on Wrangler with a functionally fixed hard top frame
The SOT exposes just the front & rear seats to sunlight. It looks like a nice feature to have, but the admission price was too disproportionately steep for me to ever consider the option for my JLU. The Sunrider feature on the soft top functionally reproduces exactly what the SOT provides, sans the expense or electrics. Granted, a SOT-equipped Wrangler will provide a bit more security for interior storage purposes.

I've the soft top on my Jeep, and living in the Northeast means I'm no stranger to rain, snow, slush and below-freezing temperatures. Having a garage makes preserving the condition of the convertible's fabric easy peasey, and the Wrangler's heater is superlative. I've never been cold, no matter what the thermometer said.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Even the sot isn’t as protective as the hard top with snow? Would t it be just as good because it’s a hard top?
I'm sure the hard top parts will be just fine. But let 1-2 feet of heavy dense northeast snow accumulate on top of it and I'd be concerned about the fabric getting pulled out of the tracks and caving in. That's a lot of weight it would need to support and I doubt it can compare to what a hard top can do.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
The one-touch is pretty sweet and it is "superior" to a regular old soft top, but the cool factor of the soft top is unmatched.

I have dual tops. I'd get a compliment every once in a while with the hard top on. However, with the soft-top down, even with doors on, I have people complimenting at stop lights.

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
The one-touch is pretty sweet and it is "superior" to a regular old soft top, but the cool factor of the soft top is unmatched.

I have dual tops. I'd get a compliment every once in a while with the hard top on. However, with the soft-top down, even with doors on, I have people complimenting at stop lights.
I agree, when we run with the soft top down or completely off, everyone notices and it is alot of fun.
That said, now that I've put the hard top back on, we'll probably just run with it that way, we may regret it later, but we've put our soft top up for sale on the Arizona parts for sale thread...

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Semantics, but:
  • Soft top = "Convertible" (fabric-over-frame construction capable of being fully folded/lowered)
  • Convertible ≠ Sky One Touch
  • Sky One Touch = "SOT" = esoteric power sliding sun roof option on Wrangler with a functionally fixed hard top frame
The SOT exposes just the front & rear seats to sunlight. It looks like a nice feature to have, but the admission price was too disproportionately steep for me to ever consider the option for my JLU. The Sunrider feature on the soft top functionally reproduces exactly what the SOT provides, sans the expense or electrics. Granted, a SOT-equipped Wrangler will provide a bit more security for interior storage purposes.

I've the soft top on my Jeep, and living in the Northeast means I'm no stranger to rain, snow, slush and below-freezing temperatures. Having a garage makes preserving the condition of the convertible's fabric easy peasey, and the Wrangler's heater is superlative. I've never been cold, no matter what the thermometer said.
My old TJ with the crappy soft top did fine thru 3 Detroit wintets with no problem accumulating snow or keeping the cabin warm. I'm sure the JL would be much improved. A black soft top would probably melt a lot of snow in the sun too.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Hey everyone,

i want the soft top on the jeep because its classic, nice looking, and completes the jeep. if I'm buying a jeep I'm doing it right. my parents are trying to convince me the convertible top thing is worth the extra 5 gs. What do you guys think about the two? I don't care about the extra money, just looking at what everyone thinks.

i know soft top there're certain things you must do to take care of it. if you think soft tops are better please let me know how they are. in the winter. i live in the northeast so winters can be brutal
If you live in the city, get the hard top, harder to break into, if you have Dogs or going to get a dog, get the hard top, as you can see, my JLU has gone to the dogs.
Who let the dogs out, I think it was my wife, Quote from Adam!

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
A $4,000.00 option could be money well spent somewhere else. Plus the power cloth top leaks does it not? I am seen videos of the material lifting up from around the frame during high winds.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
My old TJ with the crappy soft top did fine thru 3 Detroit wintets with no problem accumulating snow or keeping the cabin warm. I'm sure the JL would be much improved. A black soft top would probably melt a lot of snow in the sun too.
Agreed! Check out my profile pic. It is not a Jeep unless it is a 2 door with the soft top and plastic windows. Such a chick magnet! lol

Sponsored

OP
OP

mattjeep22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRANGLER UNLIMITED SAHARA 4X4
Agreed! Check out my profile pic. It is not a Jeep unless it is a 2 door with the soft top and plastic windows. Such a chick magnet! lol
thanks for the advice, do you know what the soft tops are made out of now a day, I'm thinking of a soft top

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm not that guy from NY who would get pissed if you didn't like his MYTop, but I did order one (It's on backorder). It's an electric softtop that works just like any convertible top on a car. You can like whatever you want, doesn't bother me. But the OPO should check out their website and see if that is a option he would like. Worth a look.
Lol, he got banned. Probably because his whole account was an ad for the MyTop. He REALLY likes that top.

Jehnbar

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
For the people that have the Skytouch, do you take out the rear quarter windows much (it looks pretty easy since it has latches like the HT)? With the windows out, how is the wind inside the vehicle when your moving?
I have them out always. I don’t notice an issue with the wind.

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
Have to ultimately decide how you will use it. I have the SOT (road noise is fine even on highway) and would not want it any other way. If I had the hard top I would take the front panels off occasionally. I wouldn't want the soft top as too many compromises for me to get into the back which we do often (soccer, baseball bags, etc) plus I like glass windows ;).

I live in a City so often take quick trips. Hop in - push the button. It starts to rain or I arrive - push it again. Cloudy with a chance of rain - no problem - no planning needed.

It is larger than a huge sunroof, but not as open with the top down. Since I have yet to take the doors off (2 years in and keep saying I will) I don't think I lose much since the doors frame the view anyway with the bars.

No right or wrong and probably will love whatever you get. We all self justify our own decisions ;)

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
A $4,000.00 option could be money well spent somewhere else. Plus the power cloth top leaks does it not? I am seen videos of the material lifting up from around the frame during high winds.
I've had SOT for 5 months and no leaks. During my pre-purchase research, I didn't find that to be a widespread problem.

Agree its expensive but for me its worth it. I street park in a city and feel SOT > Softop in deterring break-ins. Again, street park every day for five months and no leaks.
Sponsored