Sponsored

Snow driving Tips

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
Not jeep related, but funny to watch. Hopefully the link works.

Sponsored

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
This is a big one. Lotta folks frown on engine braking in snow, because you tend to leverage your front end's traction to slow down. But in reality, using engine braking forces you to slow down more naturally, avoiding the traps of rapid acceleration or deceleration.
Absolutely right

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Not jeep related, but funny to watch. Hopefully the link works.

It's been a while since I've laughed so hard, thanks for that!!!

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Adding to #2, it is also a quick way to destroy your fuel pump. When it gets cold don’t get lazy always have more than half a tank.
Why would less than half a tank of gas hurt a fuel pump in the cold?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Adding to #2, it is also a quick way to destroy your fuel pump. When it gets cold don’t get lazy always have more than half a tank.
:surprised:

Sponsored

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Why would less than half a tank of gas hurt a fuel pump in the cold?
Fuel pumps are essentially an electric motor submerged in liquid. They function off a few sensors based on fuel level and air pressure. The engine determines how much pressure or energy to send to the line to the engine based on a moving meter. The fuel tank is outside facing and metal which will typically be the coldest part of a vehicle. When the temperature of your air is low, the molecules do not move as much causing low air pressure. You can also think about trying to drink an empty cup through a straw. At the same time cold fuel is also a factor. It’s a good rule of thumb to always have a half tank of gas during the colder months to preserve your fuel pump. I worked in Ford service for years in northeast Ohio, it was a common problem every November. Weather gets colder, people are less motivated to get fuel until it’s absolutely required and it takes a toll over time wearing out the engine in the fuel pump.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Fuel pumps are essentially an electric motor submerged in liquid. They function off a few sensors based on fuel level and air pressure. The engine determines how much pressure or energy to send to the line to the engine based on a moving meter. The fuel tank is outside facing and metal which will typically be the coldest part of a vehicle. When the temperature of your air is low, the molecules do not move as much causing low air pressure. You can also think about trying to drink an empty cup through a straw. At the same time cold fuel is also a factor. It’s a good rule of thumb to always have a half tank of gas during the colder months to preserve your fuel pump. I worked in Ford service for years in northeast Ohio, it was a common problem every November. Weather gets colder, people are less motivated to get fuel until it’s absolutely required and it takes a toll over time wearing out the engine in the fuel pump.
Wow very interesting. I like to ski and I plan on going on multiple winter road trips. If I drive till 1/4 full would that have a negative impact? Might do tbis about 10 times a winter.

crazychile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK, 2018 Wrangler JLU
FWIW - in the area where I live (Midwest), more often than not when you see a bunch of vehicles in the ditch due to snow/ice, it's usually pickups and SUVs with 4WD. Overconfidence!
Hey everybody! Look at me! I'm a badass because I have 4WD and the law of physics no longer apply to me. I can drive 20 mph over the speed limit just like I do in the Summer! Whu, whu...whooooooooa! #CRASH!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Winter driving is not rocket science, just need to use common sense. In the City where they plow and salt or sand most people will not have any issues with the K02s. 95% of the time they will be OK driving without anything engaged. Maybe 4H 5% of the time to get unstuck, then it's back to regular rear wheel drive. You just have to remember no vehicle will defy physics. In areas with a lot of snow that's not plowed or in remote areas it's whole different ball game. Good dedicated snow tires is your best bet if you drive in a lot of snow. The much improved traction, braking and steering on ice, snow, slush is like night and day between a non-winter tire. Good winter tires will usually get you going if your not hung up. This is true for any vehicle. The Wrangler has other advantages. The biggest advantage a Wrangler has is ground clearance.

I like to keep the gas tank as full as possible during the winter. Less chance for condensation build up, more weight for traction, and more time with the engine running for heat if you get stuck.

Last edited:

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Wow very interesting. I like to ski and I plan on going on multiple winter road trips. If I drive till 1/4 full would that have a negative impact? Might do tbis about 10 times a winter.
If you ever have a chance to watch a YouTube video on how it works it’s intresting! You’ll be alright I think it’s more of a preventative tip over time especially as the vehicle gets older. You just dont want to be on E.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Come on down to the southern areas that do not get slick condition roads very often, and learn what not to do. especially the first time that winter the roads get slick. I am fortunate I do not have to get on the roads on those days now. I was in Huston TX area when they got a very rare sleet storm, it was DAMN scary/dangerous on the overpasses until it melted off later that day, very few of the locals knew that they needed to slow down. They learned that when pushed the brake peddle you vehicle will speed up and that steering wheel thing quits working (this was before ABS was common).

JLU4TJ

High quality chains hands down. The rest would only last a few miles. There are some newer systems that make it easier to install.
Those other things are good to get un stuck but not really for driving for miles.
There are also chains rated for off road, including snow, mud and rocks. That’s what I got 20 years ago and still going.
The picture is a pair of newer ones, but same source.

image.jpg
This is all great info! Thank you!

A few questions that haven't been asked or perhaps is common knowledge.....This will be my first time taking the Rubicon into the snow. Depending on weather, Mammoth Mountain police will do a "check" to see if you have Chains or they won't let you pass so better safe than sorry.

I am thinking I'll need to buy chains. IF I had to use them as the Rubicon is Rear Wheel Drive normally, do I just need a set for the rear? Doubting I'll need front and rear but thinking if I get 1 set, they would go on the rear versus the front. Is that correct?

Also....again, if required....would you buy Chains or Cables for your Rubicon? I'm running the stock BFG tires.

Thank you

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
This is all great info! Thank you!

A few questions that haven't been asked or perhaps is common knowledge.....This will be my first time taking the Rubicon into the snow. Depending on weather, Mammoth Mountain police will do a "check" to see if you have Chains or they won't let you pass so better safe than sorry.

I am thinking I'll need to buy chains. IF I had to use them as the Rubicon is Rear Wheel Drive normally, do I just need a set for the rear? Doubting I'll need front and rear but thinking if I get 1 set, they would go on the rear versus the front. Is that correct?

Also....again, if required....would you buy Chains or Cables for your Rubicon? I'm running the stock BFG tires.

Thank you
If you only have one set, they recommend to install them on the rear axle. I may have read in the manual, (or in a manual at any rate) that they ONLY recommend the rear axle, the reason being you may run into clearance issues in the front with the steering. I personally go for both front and rear after having checked all clearance points.
As for the cable vs chains, the cables only advantage is less noise and vibration allowing higher speeds. Also they were designed for cars (sedan) with very little clearance. They are not as durable and don’t offer as much traction, specially if you get the tire(s) off the road.
Very important: ALWAYS check and re-tight the chains after rolling 30-60 feet. Lots of horror stories about chains ripping off fenders and destroying all sort of things. Chains like hi-lift jacks can do damage if not properly managed.

xcantuaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
I made the trip to Colorado from Houston on ridge grapplers. Never again. I will spend the $500-600 dollars on snow tires next time. I still have nightmares of driving on ice in the Colorado mountains.....lol

JLU4TJ

If you only have one set, they recommend to install them on the rear axle. I may have read in the manual, (or in a manual at any rate) that they ONLY recommend the rear axle, the reason being you may run into clearance issues in the front with the steering. I personally go for both front and rear after having checked all clearance points.
As for the cable vs chains, the cables only advantage is less noise and vibration allowing higher speeds. Also they were designed for cars (sedan) with very little clearance. They are not as durable and don’t offer as much traction, specially if you get the tire(s) off the road.
Very important: ALWAYS check and re-tight the chains after rolling 30-60 feet. Lots of horror stories about chains ripping off fenders and destroying all sort of things. Chains like hi-lift jacks can do damage if not properly managed.
Thanks very much! I appreciate the info!
Sponsored