Sponsored

Snow driving Tips

HotKarlTheJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I’ve never lived in a place that had snow readily available to drive in. Or if I did, well, a mustang isn’t exactly the vehicle to do it in.

Anyways, what are the general rules to follow besides slow down and plenty of space? I’m talking like do you air down to get a wider footprint? Or do you stay inflated to get down to to packed stuff? Do you put chains on when aired down? What kind of chains are best when I headed up into the mountains? Should I use lockers in snow? Etc etc...

Thanks!
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Lifelong resident of Ohio and Michigan here, so I’ll start. First of all, not all snow is the same. There is fluffy wet snow, dryer icy snow, and the worst of all, ice disguised as snow.

I’ll start a list, and sure others will add to it.

1. Tire pressure x have it properly inflated. Don’t need to be extra high or extra low. But notice that cold temps will likely cause your tire pressure to drop, so may need to add a bit of air to keep it properly inflated.

2. As a general rule I try to keep my gas tank at least 1/4 full (and preferably 1/2) when it’s super cold. It is better on the engine, and lowers the likelihood of you running out of gas in freezing temps.

3. Chains aren’t necessary.

4. Definitely slow down. If it’s ice, essentially no driving techniques matter beyond going slower.

5. When you’re on an open stretch, test the slipperyness of the road by accelerating to a slow speed and then testing your brakes. Better to know what the roads are like before you’re around other cars. I do this when leaving my driveway in the morning.

6. If you have a Sahara with the FT4WD, this is a perfect time for it.

7. For all other Jeeps, here’s a general rule. Never use PT4WD when you can see the pavement. If the roads are genuinely covered in snow, you’re fine using it for extra traction. But not if they’ve been plowed.

8. Don’t drive around wirh your lockers on, especially if the roads have been plowed. But if you do happen to get stuck, they can be helpful.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Lifelong resident of Ohio and Michigan here, so I’ll start. First of all, not all snow is the same. There is fluffy wet snow, dryer icy snow, and the worst of all, ice disguised as snow.

I’ll start a list, and sure others will add to it.

1. Tire pressure x have it properly inflated. Don’t need to be extra high or extra low. But notice that cold temps will likely cause your tire pressure to drop, so may need to add a bit of air to keep it properly inflated.

2. As a general rule I try to keep my gas tank at least 1/4 full (and preferably 1/2) when it’s super cold. It is better on the engine, and lowers the likelihood of you running out of gas in freezing temps.

3. Chains aren’t necessary.

4. Definitely slow down. If it’s ice, essentially no driving techniques matter beyond going slower.

5. When you’re on an open stretch, test the slipperyness of the road by accelerating to a slow speed and then testing your brakes. Better to know what the roads are like before you’re around other cars. I do this when leaving my driveway in the morning.

6. If you have a Sahara with the FT4WD, this is a perfect time for it.

7. For all other Jeeps, here’s a general rule. Never use PT4WD when you can see the pavement. If the roads are genuinely covered in snow, you’re fine using it for extra traction. But not if they’ve been plowed.

8. Don’t drive around wirh your lockers on, especially if the roads have been plowed. But if you do happen to get stuck, they can be helpful.
Totally agreed.

I will add:

- Make sure you enter a turn at an appropriate speed - generally it is best to just keep constant speed while turning, don't accelerate or brake harshly.
- Watch the road ahead. If traffic is at standstill far ahead, start slowing down. Not for you, but for people coming behind you. I am more scared of others than myself when there are heavy snow storms.
- Keep tank full. I refuel mine every two days or so in the winter.
- With this new ESS, having blankets in the car is more important than ever. If your Jeep doesn't start, you won't freeze to death. I try to keep some food and drink as well.
- Keep windshield washer fluid reservoir full as roads are full of salty melted snow.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
- Keep windshield washer fluid reservoir full as roads are full of salty melted snow.
I wouldn't trust a dealer to keep the windshield washer fluid full. I used to go to a Nissan dealer who would fill it up with water downed fluid (or fluid that wasn't suitable in freezing conditions) that would freeze. And then charge people to empty the ice, only to refill it with the same fluid. Also, if doing a road trip, keeping a container of windshield wiper fluid isn't a bad idea.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't trust a dealer to keep the windshield washer fluid full. I used to go to a Nissan dealer who would fill it up with water downed fluid (or fluid that wasn't suitable in freezing conditions) that would freeze. And then charge people to empty the ice, only to refill it with the same fluid. Also, if doing a road trip, keeping a container of windshield wiper fluid isn't a bad idea.
Indeed! You would think they wouldn't cheap out/pay close attention to essentials...

Oh I forgot to add. ICE SCRAPER!

I also like to condition the rubber seals periodically during the winter to prevent them for drying out and freezing too much. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B8GTQG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
Buy a winch and make some new friends when it snows while everyone is at work. I pulled at least 5 BMW/Audi drivers out of ditches last Thursday when a storm dumped more snow than expected. Roads weren't salted or plowed. It was a fun day for some of us :)

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i will add a little...
4wd is for GOING, not for stopping

unless you are using the engine/transmission combo to compression brake.. and the 90something percent of wranglers with auto trans wont be doing that... once you put your foot on the brake pedal, your Jeep is the same as any other car. you are relying on 4 tiny contact patches of rubber to keep you going the right direction and stopping.
keep that in mind. dont assume 4wd will help you stop. drive correctly for the conditions (SLOW)

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
i will add a little...
4wd is for GOING, not for stopping

unless you are using the engine/transmission combo to compression brake.. and the 90something percent of wranglers with auto trans wont be doing that... once you put your foot on the brake pedal, your Jeep is the same as any other car. you are relying on 4 tiny contact patches of rubber to keep you going the right direction and stopping.
keep that in mind. dont assume 4wd will help you stop. drive correctly for the conditions (SLOW)

I honestly don’t understand why people don’t use the sequential shitfter in an automatic. I have an auto, and i cannot drive it in any other mode than sequential.

bmrrwolfe

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2005 Grand Cherokee
If you can find a big empty snow covered parking lot, try out just about every scenario. Different turning situations, or braking situations.
Keep your distance, and watch out for the others around you running on bald tires, and not paying attention!

Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a genius quote! Probably the smartest sentence that will pop up on this feed, and something even most long-time 4WD drivers forget.
hey Kurtis, thanks! no one's ever called me a genius. my wife usually calls me dumbass ;-)

I honestly don’t understand why people don’t use the sequential shitfter in an automatic. I have an auto, and i cannot drive it in any other mode than sequential.
Eloi, you are the very rare 4wd user that gets it. most 4wd users (and im not saying that about guys on this forum...just the general populaton) do NOT use the auto transmission to compression brake.
they just leave it in Drive and hit the wide pedal and are surprised that their 4wd suv slides.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Eloi, you are the very rare 4wd user that gets it. most 4wd users (and im not saying that about guys on this forum...just the general populaton) do NOT use the auto transmission to compression brake.
they just leave it in Drive and hit the wide pedal and are surprised that their 4wd suv slides.
This is a big one. Lotta folks frown on engine braking in snow, because you tend to leverage your front end's traction to slow down. But in reality, using engine braking forces you to slow down more naturally, avoiding the traps of rapid acceleration or deceleration.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh! all a matter of degrees.
if it's a snowy fire road but not deep snow, i'd go normal pressure, 4hi, slow and steady.
if its deep, go 4low. if it starts to get tough, lock em up.
if its really deep, you better have chains before you hit it.
better to be over gunned than under. the more your jeep struggles, the more stress you put on the components.
a winch is strongly suggested.
bring a shovel, and a come-along .
good snow tires are a must.
best to go with a second rig.

OP
OP
HotKarlTheJL

HotKarlTheJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Any specific Types of chains you'd suggest? I've seen a lot of marketing hype around these like zip tie like chains instead of the old school style, but not sure if it's just a gimmick. The noise and storage size/weight would be nice though
Sponsored