Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
You don't need chains.
You don’t need snow tires
You don’t need 4x4
You don’t need a winch
You don’t need a hi-lift
ETC.
Nobody NEEDS anything. You just have to ask around to get that conclusion :giggle:
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Heh Heh, well I GOT chewed out for always ending my posts with--"WHATEVER" !!! so

I shortened it !

Sometimes, depending on my answer--it would be stupid for me to say WHATEVER--so I don't use either--

JIMBO
Cool! I like it. Keep on keeping on.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
This is a genius quote! Probably the smartest sentence that will pop up on this feed, and something even most long-time 4WD drivers forget.
Indeed, people who think 4wd helps them stop truly need 4wd (and lockers and a winch) to help them get out of the ditch or median

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Hey guys, so thanks for the tips. I guess I was looking for tips more along the lines of going up to the mountains (Mt. Hood area) on the forest roads and what not. So more off-road snow tips vs on road.
I'd hate to fool with chains, though many years ago with rear wheel drive I had to. If the road is not paved then I would think you will hit ruts, mud, ice and packed snow on the trail roads. Personally I would want a mud / deep tread tire for that if I did it frequently in bad weather.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
There are books/paragraphs and magazine articles on driving in snow--WITH AN OFF-ROAD VEHICLE, not necessarily a jeep, but

A quick short summary for driving your jeep off-road in 3', or less --and you have to be in 4wd.preferably 4hi, you SHOULD HAVE MS/MT TIRES--always use a lower gear(higher rpm) so there is NO TIRE SPIN--STOP JMMEDIATELY if there is and use "R":--WITH NO TIRE SPIN to back out--

Always go HIGH ON ANGLED TURNS and don't follow previous "RUTS" unless they're on solid ground-

It's a lotta fun and you should have a HiLift Jack and a shovel

The major reason for "STOP" in snow is TIRE SPIN/FRONT AXLE PLOWING-

You can see WONDEROUS THINGS in the snow
Scan_zps31yatrdd.jpg

And have a fun drive

Feb%202016%20023_zpsf0djuidr.jpg

It's a off-road adventure-

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
So I’ve never lived in a place that had snow readily available to drive in. Or if I did, well, a mustang isn’t exactly the vehicle to do it in.

Anyways, what are the general rules to follow besides slow down and plenty of space? I’m talking like do you air down to get a wider footprint? Or do you stay inflated to get down to to packed stuff? Do you put chains on when aired down? What kind of chains are best when I headed up into the mountains? Should I use lockers in snow? Etc etc...

Thanks!
In ThevDC area, I see lots of cars go off the roads, mostly due to stupidity. It doesn’t matter what car you drive, excessive speed is the worst thing you can do in crappy winter conditions. Just because you may now have a Jeep doesn’t mean you drop it into 4x and drive the speed limit. Go slow, get a feel for the conditions, and still go slow. Don’t be in a hurry. Use a lot of stopping distance. In some cases, mild acceleration can help recover from a slide/skid, but don’t go fast enough that you need to use it. People driving trucks and SUVs tend to think they have the best vehicle for snow and finally they get to use it—that’s who I tend to see on the sides of the road wondering why their vehicle didn’t save them.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
FWIW - in the area where I live (Midwest), more often than not when you see a bunch of vehicles in the ditch due to snow/ice, it's usually pickups and SUVs with 4WD. Overconfidence!

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Indeed, people who think 4wd helps them stop truly need 4wd (and lockers and a winch) to help them get out of the ditch or median
That is the exact reason for probably 98% of snow related accidents here. People driving too fast and then losing control when having to slow down.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That is the exact reason for probably 98% of snow related accidents here. People driving too fast and then losing control when having to slow down.
We have bad snow but only occasionally here in WV. Probably 75% of the time when someone is in the median or a ditch it's a jacked up 4wd truck

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Wide tires = lower psi (for deep snow)
Narrow tires = normal psi (for blacktop and ice)

Sponsored

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Lifelong resident of Ohio and Michigan here, so I’ll start. First of all, not all snow is the same. There is fluffy wet snow, dryer icy snow, and the worst of all, ice disguised as snow.

I’ll start a list, and sure others will add to it.

1. Tire pressure x have it properly inflated. Don’t need to be extra high or extra low. But notice that cold temps will likely cause your tire pressure to drop, so may need to add a bit of air to keep it properly inflated.

2. As a general rule I try to keep my gas tank at least 1/4 full (and preferably 1/2) when it’s super cold. It is better on the engine, and lowers the likelihood of you running out of gas in freezing temps.

3. Chains aren’t necessary.

4. Definitely slow down. If it’s ice, essentially no driving techniques matter beyond going slower.

5. When you’re on an open stretch, test the slipperyness of the road by accelerating to a slow speed and then testing your brakes. Better to know what the roads are like before you’re around other cars. I do this when leaving my driveway in the morning.

6. If you have a Sahara with the FT4WD, this is a perfect time for it.

7. For all other Jeeps, here’s a general rule. Never use PT4WD when you can see the pavement. If the roads are genuinely covered in snow, you’re fine using it for extra traction. But not if they’ve been plowed.

8. Don’t drive around wirh your lockers on, especially if the roads have been plowed. But if you do happen to get stuck, they can be helpful.
Adding to #2, it is also a quick way to destroy your fuel pump. When it gets cold don’t get lazy always have more than half a tank.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, off topic, and I enjoy your posts, but what does W.E. mean?
Lmao I've been wondering the same since earlier in the year

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I said in an earlier post----Some guys chewed me out for ending MOST of my posts with "WHATEVER" and they thought it was STUPID !--so

I shortened it to----- W.E.

You can please some of the people, some of the time-----

JIMBO

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
7. For all other Jeeps, here’s a general rule. Never use PT4WD when you can see the pavement. If the roads are genuinely covered in snow, you’re fine using it for extra traction. But not if they’ve been plowed.
Well, there are different road conditions than just snow covered or plowed, so I think the answer is not that easy. If there is a chance of slippage, or slush or anything other than totally cleared, I use my 4 high if I feel the need and never worry about it. Better safe than sorry.

8. Don’t drive around wirh your lockers on, especially if the roads have been plowed. But if you do happen to get stuck, they can be helpful.
Well, since lockers only work in 4 low, I would certainly hope one is not driving all around in 4 low with the lockers on. If you are, it's going to take you a long time to get anywhere and yoju will feel the constant binding.

Common sense is king here.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Whenever I go offroad in the snow I ALWAYS bring chains (just in case). Would prefer to have 2 sets but 1 pair should suffice. The conditions were great at the start then the sun broke and it all went to a slushy hell in a hurry. Even the mil-spec hummer was running chains on all 4 with a bit of a struggle (and pulling a bunch of otherwise capable rigs out of the mush). I was driving a Frontier Pro-4X at the time with chains on rear. Pulled out a full size lifted Chevy p.u. but otherwise managed to get through ok.

Sorry... no Jeeps in these photos (this was in my dark ages)... for illustrative purposes only...

NOT all conditions warrant chain use, use them with discretion off-road only when necessary. Otherwise they tend to chew up the trail.

IMG_3738.PNG
IMG_3731.JPG
IMG_3730.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: