Driving in snow / ice…any tips?

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Florida boy now living in North Carolina where we are supposed to get a decent amount of snow. Any things I should know or tips for driving in snow or ice in the event it’s needed?

‘20 JLUR / Mopar lift / 35” BFG KM3’s
Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Florida boy now living in North Carolina where we are supposed to get a decent amount of snow. Any things I should know or tips for driving in snow or ice in the event it’s needed?

If you're in Charlotte, you are in for more of an ice event instead of snow. Best bet is to stay home. We don't have the equipment here to keep the roads in good shape.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
New Englander here…
Don’t go faster than is safe for conditions, and allow plenty of following distance!

Especially that last one! People seem to suddenly forget how to use their brakes properly when roads get bad. Always give yourself more time to react!

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Remember in snow 4H is your friend, however while you can accelerate easier than the guy without it your stopping distance will be the same as the 2wd folks. Lots of folks in 4wd/awd get in trouble because they think since they’ve got more ”go” they also have more ”whoa”- a serious mistake. For ice, nothing but chains or a true winter tire (Blizzak or similar) will make a lot of difference. If you can, stay home when it’s icy, if not, takes things VERY easy-everything in slow motion and gently.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Remember: 4WD gets you going, it don’t get you stopping. Drive slowly.

If you don’t feel comfortable, stay home.

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
As others have said, tires play an important role in winter driving conditions. 4H can help you initiate better traction to get you going, but it won't really help you in trying to stop. For that reason, maintain a safe distance between yourself and the car in front. Also, when throttling, don't punch it as it increases the likelihood your tires will spin and lose traction. Slow and steady is best.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
If you get a fair bit of ice and there's an empty parking lot nearby, take advantage of it and go practice. Nothing prepares you for that first uncontrolled spin on ice, better to have it in a controlled situation than on the interstate (been there, done that).

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Find a safe place to learn away from traffic and obstacles. We "learned" how to drive in snow by going out early, early, early Sunday mornings to the wide open mall or large unplowed parking lots. Try stopping and starting using different weight on the pedals. Trust your anti-lock brakes to tap faster then you can, just hold the pedal. Once you are comfortable and if it is safe to do so; take turns at different speeds to feel when your vehicle begins to get sloppy. The only way to learn how to drive in the slop is to go drive it. Just don't learn in traffic–

edit: not ice. Ice = bad, even with studded snow tires. Stay away from ice, if possible. Snow is always managable until about fording depth, ice can be wicked–

Sponsored

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Do you have automatic or manual transmission?
Engine braking is helpful when your tires slip on ice/snow. That’s one of many reasons why I prefer manual over auto.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

Change your tires first and foremost. You’ll get no traction with those. Find a dedicated snow tire or acceptable all terrain with severe snow rating (Duratrac, KO2’s, etc). I always take ESC offline by pressing traction control for a few seconds as well so you can spin your tires.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Do you have automatic or manual transmission?
Engine braking is helpful when your tires slip on ice/snow. That’s one of many reasons why I prefer manual over auto.
manual control of the auto transmission is faster and more precise than a manual transmission, and doesn’t ever explode.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
We just got a dose of snow. Last week it was ice.

The best thing to do is assume everyone else that is out is a moron. That's the way they are here anyway.

Driving too fast for conditions, tailgating, sliding into others, sliding in the ditch, on their phones, smoking their blunts, etc.

Until I got my Jeep, I drove a 2WD pickup (really 1WD cuz no positrack) that weighs nothing in the back.

I got around fine in the snow/ice because:
• I'm not a moron
• I slick-test when I enter a road & occasionally thereafter
• I look AHEAD and form a plan
• I use momentum for slick hills
• I start decelerating way before the stop
• Mostly I devote the proper attention to driving in adverse conditions one should.

It's not rocket science, but experience and common sense will help. 🙂

20220115_125549.jpg
Sponsored