Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I like it.

In fact I ordered a pair--or at least ones like this and they came in the mail.

My version still allows access to the key as there's a slit opening in the design where the key pops out--which I don't consider a bad thing *for me.*

I think the sleeve makes accidental opening of the key rarer--as you say--and I have a MOPAR key matched locking gas cap with a similar vaporware matching keyed hood look on back order from MOPAR/Bolt. So access to a key at times is useful *for me*...not that the tiniest bit of virtually invisible black electric tape on this sleeve Ray wouldn't keep the key in its place for the 97% of us who don't use it 99.99% of the time.

Good find! The included hook, like some of Marc Gibson's options (whose quality is IMHO light years ahead of this rubber sleeve) take the fob out of the pocket for those claiming it too large. Marc's rigid leather, even the open button styles, IMHO, prevent a fob button from accidentally getting pressed in a tight pocket....the product of your link IMHO: not so much--not that pocket storage is its "thing."

I'm working on fitting a physical key into my OP box. We'll see. Adam Trunkey's aftermarket fob linked above stores the key separately "around back," but I'm confused if the fob provides whatever torque might be needed, if any, to get a loose key to turn in the JL lock.

We Wrangler owners are a fickle bunch. :) Cries of the fob being too large fill the forum. Provide these owners (not so much me) with a hack, and the fob loyalists--some of whom it seems almost wish the fob were larger--cry foul (lol)!

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I found out today that I'll need to include the transponder chip in the box of this hack as per the following video:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This is funny almost beyond words..
That's fair. Retort. If some of us were fortunately enough to have a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model for a girlfriend (I do not) who said, echem...

"I'd just love to wear that new bikini that's practically all strings today when we go to the beach....if only there was a place for me to store the JL fob,"

lines of men would form in front of the Container Store to buy the box of this hack.

: - )

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
The key fob from MOPAR is about, to my measurement, 2-7/8" tall, by 1-11/16" wide by 9/16" thick.

The Container Store box is, as stated 2-3/8"x1-3/4"x1/2"h, so it is smaller and feels so, particular because it's thinner. One of Its dimensions is more like an 1/8" shorter at 2-1/4": not a big deal I'm the first to admit.

It just barely encapsulates the electronics without the key, so it's going to be smaller, in fact I think people would be hard pressed to find a smaller container for the electronics alone.

The box provides a relatively rigid container against basic crushing that would definitely not be useful "to jack you tires with," but the box cover is flexible enough that it can be finger pressed and easily actuate the buttons beneath, while keeping the electronics water proof, and while not go off accidentally in your pocket--even if cramped.

That it's unfinished...? Its a $2.00 solution to those who complain, and there have been many, that the fob's too big for their pocket. Your pocket won't mind what it looks like. : - )

Paint it, put stickers on it, don't use it, wait for Adam Trunkey's solution to come out with his replacement fob: which will be larger, more pricey, sturdier, more stylish, and probably still also won't jack any tires. I know I'm going to try it out while I stick with my previously mentioned Gibson holster, until maybe summer makes my wish for a smaller key and this solution more alluring.

If it's not for you, that's cool. If you want to build on the idea, great. If you want to take another direction, or no direction at all: go for it. : - )

Like I said above, it may not be your cup of tea. (It may not even be mine all the time.) This is about giving people options and knowledge; not forcing them.

Maybe you want to carry just a physical key, or hide a dead fob in your rig and press the start button with it, or an energized one in a Faraday bag. It's all good! There are excellent posts here on that.

Some pictures for size comparison follow. I wish I had the proximity locks someone above wrongly said this only works with. Cheers and peace.

IMG_2926.JPG
IMG_2927.JPG
IMG_2928.JPG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:CWL::CWL:
..seriously, I just cant

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
That's fair. Retort. If some of us were fortunately enough to have a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model for a girlfriend (I do not) who said, echem...

"I'd just love to wear that new bikini that's practically all strings today when we go to the beach....if only there was a place for me to store the JL fob,"

lines of men would form in front of the Container Store to buy the box of this hack.

Where do you "store" your cell phone then?

Just carry the damn thing...ALONG WITH YOUR HOUSE KEYS

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know what ya’lls issue is, I have to carry 2 of these... 1 for mine and 1 for the wife’s...

Sponsored

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Where do you "store" your cell phone then?

Just carry the damn thing...ALONG WITH YOUR HOUSE KEYS
Ah, demanding replies based on ignorance--you got to love those.

The issue isn't where to store these devices...the answer being pockets whether you run with the factory, AJT, or my fob, and a cell phone of any size.

The issue is more about putting the fob in a pocket that's cramped and pressure is applied to, and otherwise actuates its buttons.

And yes (not) this is my cell phone, only the smaller version:

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Ah, demanding replies based on ignorance--you got to love those.

The issue isn't where to store these devices...the answer being pockets whether you run with the factory, AJT, or my fob, and a cell phone of any size.

The issue is more about putting the fob in a pocket that's cramped and pressure is applied to, and otherwise actuates its buttons.

And yes (not) this is my cell phone, only the smaller version:

Can you imagine being stuck in an elevator w this guy

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Can you imagine being stuck in an elevator w this guy
..the one Noah offering his uninformed and unsolicited snarky opinion in a confined space he's be using, wait for it....20 days....? Yeah, imagine.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
..the one Noah offering his uninformed and unsolicited snarky opinion in a confined space he's be using, wait for it....20 days....? Yeah, imagine.
Huh?!
Sponsored