Sleeping in the back

OP
OP

R4D4R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
A few months old, but I'll put in my 2 cents.

If it's not raining, just sleep on the ground or on a cot under the stars. It's really a great sight to see all those stars anyway. Get a canvas bedroll (sleeping bag and pad cover), slip in a comfy pad, your sleeping bag, and a pillow and roll it up. I slept on the ground many nights in a bedroll on horse camping trips and hunting trips. But if you're worried about things crawling into your bag, put it all on a lightweight folding cot. Don't be a wuss, you'll miss out on a great experience of the outdoors. And it's way more comfortable than a closed up, cramped vehicle.
Not when youre in the woods in Maine. Its either 20* and windy in the fall, the mud will swallow you whole in the spring, youll get eaten alive by the mosquitos in the summer and LOL in the winter
Sponsored

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Not when youre in the woods in Maine. Its either 20* and windy in the fall, the mud will swallow you whole in the spring, youll get eaten alive by the mosquitos in the summer and LOL in the winter
Or out in the desert. Was nailed 3 times by scorpions while out motorcycle camping. Know a guy who was sleeping by a stream up in a canyon and when he rolled over in the middle of the night was nailed on the shoulder by a rattlesnake that must have snuggled up to him for warmth. He was alone - only his horse for company - and barely survived. It was 3 days before he was able to make his way out of the canyon and he is impaired to this day.

To each his own. Me, I'm done sleeping on the ground. That's why I'm on here, trying to decide which version of the 4-door JL I want!

OP
OP

R4D4R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Same. Ill tent camp when the kids are with me, but when Im solo, I can just sleep in the back of the JKU. Setting up and breaking down a tent is too much of a PITA.

cmcullen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Rubicon, 2017 Ducati Multistrada
I just got the half deepsleepforjeeps delivered last week. I'm 6'1" so I think I'll be scrunched in there; anticipate building a little shelf/wedge platform to extend the useable sleep space up against the front seat.

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just got the half deepsleepforjeeps delivered last week. I'm 6'1" so I think I'll be scrunched in there; anticipate building a little shelf/wedge platform to extend the useable sleep space up against the front seat.
How are you liking the half deep sleep? Is it comfortable seeing they are using foam in it versus just air?

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Or out in the desert. Was nailed 3 times by scorpions while out motorcycle camping. Know a guy who was sleeping by a stream up in a canyon and when he rolled over in the middle of the night was nailed on the shoulder by a rattlesnake that must have snuggled up to him for warmth. He was alone - only his horse for company - and barely survived. It was 3 days before he was able to make his way out of the canyon and he is impaired to this day.

To each his own. Me, I'm done sleeping on the ground. That's why I'm on here, trying to decide which version of the 4-door JL I want!
Well, truth be known, at my age, I prefer this setup these days. Arthritis is a bitch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sleeping in the back holiday-inn-express-hotel

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Same. Ill tent camp when the kids are with me, but when Im solo, I can just sleep in the back of the JKU. Setting up and breaking down a tent is too much of a PITA.
Same here- my daughter and I are heading to Utah in a couple of weeks. We can't both fit in the back along with our gear so will be taking a tent with us.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
So if you sleep in the back of your JLU, what do you do with all of your stuff?

Sponsored

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
We do quite a bit. Usually we only camp back there for 2-3 days at most. I’ve found a full size Colman air mattress inflates back there well and our bags fit in the front seats pushed forward all the way for sleep space. Things like a cooler, camp chairs, and a tote for the odds and ends spend the night next to or under the Jeep depending on the chance of rain.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Some people rig up a sleeping platform with storage underneath. I think I prefer to stay on the floor of the cargo area so I have room to sit up and read. That would restrict sleeping to just me on one side with all of my gear piled on the other side or in the front seats. When set up at a camp spot of course some of your gear could stay outside depending on weather conditions. If camping in a Walmart parking lot you need to be stealthy and keep everything inside. This would force you to travel somewhat light.

And BTW in a couple of weeks I'll be trying to sleep inside by myself for one or two nights. I have an idea that I can make it work with myself and my gear, but I haven't tried it yet. When I start packing for the trip I hope I don't find out otherwise. For later trips where I might be spending the whole trip in the back I intend to remove the back seat and build a minimal low platform to level out the back surface and that opens up a little more storage space underneath.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
A platform with storage underneath is a good idea. I am trying to get my plan together for when I get my Jeep delivered. My son and I have big plans of sleeping out on the trail, maybe we will need to whittle it down to, just the "essentials". It seems like there is so much stuff associated with taking kids anywhere but that time together is the best.

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
A platform with storage underneath is a good idea. I am trying to get my plan together for when I get my Jeep delivered. My son and I have big plans of sleeping out on the trail, maybe we will need to whittle it down to, just the "essentials". It seems like there is so much stuff associated with taking kids anywhere but that time together is the best.
Here's mine.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/check-out-the-deepsleep-for-jeeps.6716/#post-1304595

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Im 5"10, I've slept in the rear cargo area without the seats being flat fine but also I was drunk while camping, it was difficult getting out.
Sponsored