Sponsored

Should I get Gorilla Glass Replacement

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
wasn't looking for an argument; was looking for a rational explanation, and you don't seem to be able to provide that "based on [your] understanding".

(sounds like you're just sore that you might have been taken for something you didn't need to pay for. you're not the first; Safelite isn't known for being the most scrupulous.)

think about it; we have a piece of glass that is designed to move, and sensors that are mounted to something that does not move.
what would need to be "re-calibrated" if you change out the glass? nothing about the sensors has changed.

seems to me that Safelite (and others?) may be just taking advantage of people; charging for re-calibration because people have gotten used to paying for re-calibration on vehicles that actually do have the sensors *in* the glass. the Wrangler ain't one of them.

if there's actually some legitimate reason the sensors need to be re-calibrated, i'd love to hear it.

You reasked a question that was already asked and directly answered (i.e., "are the sensors *in* the windshield?"). All you had to do was read and comprehend the information that I had already provided. You also asked what needs to be recalibrated. I answered that too, based on my understanding.

If you want to argue about the particulars or the legitimacy of recalibration, call 1-844-533-7928. I'm not your Jeep rep. It's not my assertion to argue and I'm not interested in going round and round on your pointless need to argue with someone. I'm just a guy who had his windshield replaced by SafeLite under warranty. Feel free to pursue your argument elsewhere.
Sponsored

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
wasn't looking for an argument; was looking for a rational explanation, and you don't seem to be able to provide that "based on [your] understanding".

(sounds like you're just sore that you might have been taken for something you didn't need to pay for. you're not the first; Safelite isn't known for being the most scrupulous.)

think about it; we have a piece of glass that is designed to move, and sensors that are mounted to something that does not move.
what would need to be "re-calibrated" if you change out the glass? nothing about the sensors has changed.

seems to me that Safelite (and others?) may be just taking advantage of people; charging for re-calibration because people have gotten used to paying for re-calibration on vehicles that actually do have the sensors *in* the glass. the Wrangler ain't one of them.

if there's actually some legitimate reason the sensors need to be re-calibrated, i'd love to hear it.
If you're looking for me to explain things to you, or put any effort into making you believe something, you're going to continue to be disappointed.

Reading comprehension apparently is not one of your skills. As I said in my post, Jeep paid for the replacement and the recalibration, not me. If Jeep felt it was unnecessary, they wouldn't have paid for it. I didn't get "taken" for anything as it was entirely covered under warranty.

You may go away now.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

If you're looking for me to explain things to you, or put any effort into making you believe something, you're going to continue to be disappointed.

Reading comprehension apparently is not one of your skills. As I said in my post, Jeep paid for the replacement and the recalibration, not me. If Jeep felt it was unnecessary, they wouldn't have paid for it. I didn't get "taken" for anything as it was entirely covered under warranty.

You may go away now.
We're simply trying to figure out why it would need to be recalibrated. There's no need to get defensive and post ad hominem responses.

melman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I have this question as well . I have to get my windshield replaced and if they skip the recalibration that would be amazing! I’ve read on here it’s not req since the windshield folds down .

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
yes, but are the sensors *in* the windshield?

seems to me that this 're-calibration' is a scam on the Wranglers, as nothing changes when the glass is replaced.
Not just Wranglers but every car that has similar features. Had have recalibration done on a Honda Pilot and Subaru Outback as well when replacing the windshield. There are no sensors in the glass of those windshields, that camera sits flush against the inside

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

what exactly needs to be "re-calibrated"?
are there actually sensors *in* the glass itself?
I'll do my best to remember to ask about that when I (hopefully) get mine back early this week. The shop volunteered to fold back my roof rack on their dime when replacing it.

ROK HEMI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Here's the Gorilla glass warranty on our rigs:

MOPAR WINDSHIELD MADE WITH CORNING GORILLA GLASS WARRANTY

Mopar Windshield Made with Corning Gorilla Glass has a 2-year limited (from date of install), unlimited-mile warranty, which provides for labor and parts needed to repair or replace your windshield under certain conditions........

https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/content/store/pim/details/warranty.pdf
I wonder if this two-year limited warranty from date of install means that my new gorilla glass windshield has a two-year warranty?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
long done looking for anything positive from you; and you already said you were done (though i doubt anyone really believed it then either).
wouldn't miss you if you really were now.

You may go away now.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
makes sense when the sensors make contact with the glass and use it as a 'reference' point.

but on something like a Wrangler where the sensor(s) sit in a completely independent mounting provision, a legitimate need for re-calibration of the sensor(s) due to glass replacement isn't so clear.

Not just Wranglers but every car that has similar features. Had have recalibration done on a Honda Pilot and Subaru Outback as well when replacing the windshield. There are no sensors in the glass of those windshields, that camera sits flush against the inside

HeygirlHey

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Snazzberry Sahara Altitude (on order)
After 4 windshields we’re here to tell you only your wallet will be able to tell the difference. 1st gorilla glass replacement should be free under warranty, you may need to do some leg work, but should be replaced. That will be gorilla glass.
After that it is up to you, our insurance deductible was 500 on comprehensive, so we went with an inexpensive windshield shop for 300. And updated comp to 0. When windshield #3 took a rock insurance replaced with gorilla glass. When gg #3/#4 overall also took a rock ins replaced with oem mopar…
17 mos, 30k miles 5th windshield has almost 3 mos on it, probably due for another.
I see you're in the same area as me - where are you going for windshields? I just discovered a rock ping crack (so, I guess after the 1 year mark, I'm heading for my 2nd replacement!) I guess I might need to find a trusted windshield partner in the area at this point! :(

Sponsored

jlcalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

FOLLOWING
To follow a thread just click the "Watch" button up top.

The standard windshield has no warranty. The Gorilla Glass windshield has a 2-year limited single-time replacement warranty.

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
I called the dealer today asking for the free gorilla glass replacement, they said the first replacement has to be out of pocket, or through insurance, and gorilla will only cover the second replacement. That doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone here share their experience? I'm thinking about calling another dealer to confirm.
Sponsored