Gorilla Glass windshield replacement

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Pebbles = covered
Large debris = not covered

Last time a rock hit my windshield, I wasn’t able to measure it in time before it bounced away and hit the next windshield behind me. Not sure how any dealer could refuse service based on this one… “Oh that crack is too large, it must’ve been made by a boulder!” But I guess they also need to build in some sort of “worm their way out of covering” clause, just in case it was really your pissed off ex wife with a hammer! 😂
Yep that’s why I said might. I haven’t actually had to try yet 😂
Sponsored

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Now that wraps are a thing, do they make a clear wrap that you could put on the outside of your windshield to protect against chips etc?
I know I've seen clear wraps on bus window advertising.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Now that wraps are a thing, do they make a clear wrap that you could put on the outside of your windshield to protect against chips etc?
I know I've seen clear wraps on bus window advertising.
There are clear plastic protective films available for the exterior of windshields. They have used them on race cars for years. Some have more than one layer. You peel off layers as needed.

I have to wonder about durability with wiper use and ice.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
There are clear plastic protective films available for the exterior of windshields. They have used them on race cars for years. Some have more than one layer. You peel off layers as needed.

I have to wonder about durability with wiper use and ice.
So a huge clear plastic film like I have on my radio to prevent scratches etc.
Jeep is prone to chips and one standard size, someone could make a buck.💡
It does not even need to last that long replace twice a year.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I am 15,xxx miles in and two more trips to Utah on my Gorilla Glass. No issues.

Nothing is unbreakable tho...the 2 year warranty should offer pretty decent peace of mind.

LT1Chevy210

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Ecodiesel, 2023 JL 2.0L, 2019 Duramax
Just had Gorilla Glass installed today after my first OEM (non-GG) replacement didn't make it 750 miles before cracking. Original windshield, also non-GG, went at ~5,900 miles.

Fingers crossed that I have better luck with it than some who have posted earlier in this thread.

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4Xe, 20 JTLE
I hit 1500 miles and all of a sudden my GG cracked right around the sunshade from the top of windshield. No idea how it happened. All of my other non GG windshields from my past 5 jeeps never cracked. WTF. Seems like it can be fixed under warranty (from this thread) but wanted to let folks know this happened to me and is something I did not expect to happen to GG. smh.
Jeep Wrangler JL Gorilla Glass windshield replacement cracked

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am 15,xxx miles in and two more trips to Utah on my Gorilla Glass. No issues.

Nothing is unbreakable tho...the 2 year warranty should offer pretty decent peace of mind.

Here is a direct quote from Mopar Warranty:

"MOPAR WINDSHIELD MADE WITH CORNING GORILLA GLASS WARRANTY
Mopar Windshield Made with Corning Gorilla Glass has a 2-year limited (from date of install), unlimited-mile warranty, which provides
for labor and parts needed to repair or replace your windshield under certain conditions.
Mopar warrants your windshield from damage associated with road debris such as pebbles or other small objects which may
cause initial damage larger than a US quarter (1 inch/25mm) and less than 3 inches/7.6 cm. Larger instances or smaller blemishes,
along with the subsequent cracking that may be caused by not repairing them, are not covered by this warranty.
Dealer requires proof of purchase and windshield will only be repaired or replaced under the warranty once within the
warrantable period.
WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
Damage caused by any other force such as an accident, large debris, fraud, falling objects or other acts of God are not warrantable.
The damage from road debris referred to in this section is warrantable notwithstanding other provisions in the Mopar warranty.
Additional exclusions may apply"

https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/content/store/pim/details/warranty.pdf

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
Thanks for the warranty info. My Gorilla Glass windshield cracked from the very bottom of the glass at 700 miles. The local dealer verified there was no evidence of impact and took photos. They are applying to FCA for authorization for warranty repair. Should find out this week. I will bring in a copy of the warranty if they refuse me.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
So far, so good. Put a few thousand miles on it since then. Had a couple of rock strikes, but no chips or cracks.
Figured I would update this as it's been a bit of time since then. Have had a few chips now. But they aren't spreading. I was going to get them filled, but I realized that 2 are too close to the edge. Still not a horrible experience with them not cracking.
Sponsored