Service stop/start system warning light

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I get this too, usually it was because of the slop in my steering and the drag link being off a little, and being in battery protection mode.
I get this too, usually it was because of the slop in my steering and the drag link being off a little, and being in battery protection mode.
I’m not a Jeep expert, but I’m unsure how steering slop and drag links issues affect electronic start stop (ESS) and electronic stability control (ESC). Pretty sure these are pump, valve, sensor, or electrical connectivity issues unrelated to steering.
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I’m not a Jeep expert, but I’m unsure how steering slop and drag links issues affect electronic start stop (ESS) and electronic stability control (ESC). Pretty sure these are pump, valve, sensor, or electrical connectivity issues unrelated to steering.

I suspect they changed battery protection mode to informational vs warning, and when the esc light goes off the ess message gets tripped, but who knows.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
Will post screenshot of attempted remedy tomorrow—no dice.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
My dealership has tried to address my ESS and ESC issues since December on five occasions. They had my Jeep for 13 days during that time, replaced vacuum pump and hoses, all to no avail. ESS is a major function controlling the engine for fuel economy.

The ESC is another major system, connected to the ABS, therefore affecting safety of the vehicle. ESC system enhances directional control and stability the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESC corrects for over/under steering of the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the over/under steer condition. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path.

I took delivery of my JLU Sahara on 5 September 2018 and I have 14,000 miles on it. Neither of these two systems have worked since October 2018.

Maryland’s lemon law applies only to cars, light trucks and motorcycles that:

1. Are registered in Maryland, and

2. Have been driven less than 18,000 miles and been owned less than 24 months. (Even if you are not the original owner, the Lemon Law might apply to your vehicle if the original owner purchased it less than 24 months ago.)

The law provides that a dealer or manu- facturer must correct a defect within 30 days after the consumer writes to the manufacturer by certified mail. If the manufacturer or dealer is unable to do
so, the consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement vehicle under the Lemon Law if the car has:

• A brake or steering failure that was not corrected after the first re- pair attempt, and that causes the vehicle to fail Maryland’s safety inspection; or

• Any one problem that substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle that was not corrected in four repair attempts; or

• Any number of problems that substantially impair the use and market value of the vehicle that have caused it to be out of service for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.

If you suspect your car is a lemon— for example, if the dealer has tried once or twice unsuccessfully to repair the problem and you believe the problem substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle — you should write to the manufacturer immediately. You do not need to wait until the dealer has made the four repair attempts, or until the car has been out of service for 30 days.

I will be sending a certified mail package to FCA this week.

Joesue

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s
Sure is discouraging to see all these unresolved ESS issues. Like others, my ESS light was on when I picked up from the dealer. I called the dealer to see if it was safe to drive, service there at the dealer (where I purchased, in Houston) said it was most likely battery. Fast forward two months, I get the "customer satisfaction " letter about the steering stabilizer. I make an appointment at the dealer nearest where I live (100 miles away, yeah, that's the closest!). They say they will address the steering stab, but can't promise anything about the ESS light, but wil "diagnose". I go in for the stab--and the dealership, takes my car back. An hour and a half later, they inform me they DIDNT have the part after all!! But they did fix the ESS light with a "flash". And Jeep wants me to get an extended service contract?????!

Sponsored

Joesue

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s
Also, stupid question: Why is ESS not ASS since the dash light is an A with a circle around it for Automatic Start/Stop?
Your replacement name seems a much better fit!

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
Sure is discouraging to see all these unresolved ESS issues. Like others, my ESS light was on when I picked up from the dealer. I called the dealer to see if it was safe to drive, service there at the dealer (where I purchased, in Houston) said it was most likely battery. Fast forward two months, I get the "customer satisfaction " letter about the steering stabilizer. I make an appointment at the dealer nearest where I live (100 miles away, yeah, that's the closest!). They say they will address the steering stab, but can't promise anything about the ESS light, but wil "diagnose". I go in for the stab--and the dealership, takes my car back. An hour and a half later, they inform me they DIDNT have the part after all!! But they did fix the ESS light with a "flash". And Jeep wants me to get an extended service contract?????!
I’ve had mine flashed and that didn’t help.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The vehicle knows the rotational angle of the steering wheel (also just happens to be handy for those cute little lines in the BUC).

It also knows if you're actually turning based upon input from the WSS's 'cause left and right wheels are traveling different distances in a turn (thus the invention of differentials).

If it thinks the driver is trying to turn but the vehicle is not actually turning, it'll try to save you.....and that's basically ESC, more or less

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
The vehicle knows the rotational angle of the steering wheel (also just happens to be handy for those cute little lines in the BUC).

It also knows if you're actually turning based upon input from the WSS's 'cause left and right wheels are traveling different distances in a turn (thus the invention of differentials).

If it thinks the driver is trying to turn but the vehicle is not actually turning, it'll try to save you.....and that's basically ESC, more or less
Not turning, nor trying to when this happens. Also, dealer documented codes of P258B and C1252-92.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica

Here’s another thread for you: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/esc-malfunction-indicator-light.10481/page-4

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
Going to pick up my Jeep from the dealer after they kept it for two weeks. Hope it’s fixed.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
ESC and ESS dash lights both simultaneously started coming on at 7K miles in December 2018. ESS unavailable would flash in the dash. At first, it was intermittent, happening about 20% of the time I drove it over 10 miles. In December, I took the Jeep in for an oil change/tire rotation and ask the service department investigate the ESS/ESC issue. They were unable to reproduce the issue and found no codes through an OBD check.:swear:

By May 2019, the issue was happening about 80% of the time I drove it. The ESS/ESC lights would come on when I came to a stop. In July, I took it in for additional warranty work (broken rear seat cable) and the ESS/ESC issue—parts had to be ordered. Service department pulled OBD codes C125292 and P258B, referenced Star case S1805000006, checked over the vacuum lines and reprogrammed the ABS and PCM. When I picked the JL up and drove it off the lot the ESS/ESC lights illuminated before I left the lot. I called the service department and they ordered a new vacuum pump and new hoses. On this trip I also had them change the oil and then redo it because they filled it with 6qts the first time. It should be 5qts. :angry:

@JeepCares reached out. New vacuum pump arrived in August, so I took the JL in again for service. The techs removed and replaced the brake pump. While it was in the shop I had the V41 recall work done and the rear seat cable was replaced. The steering dampener was installed correctly based on the sticker guide on the part. Driving off the lot...ESS/ESC lights came on again. FCA opened a case. :clap:

Dropped it off for another week in September. :facepalm: This time they replaced the brake booster check valve and a vacuum hose. Picked it up and the ESS/ESC lights came on before I left the lot again. Dropped it off for two weeks at the end of September, picked it up on 11 October. This time they replaced the brake booster or vacuum hose and the ABS module. They reprogrammed the ABS module once they put it all back together. Picked it up yesterday and drove it all day for a variety 5-15 mile trips with stop/go traffic and no ESS/ESC lights came on. :like:

On every trip to the dealer I informed them that at 6K miles my VHR e-mail stated that I needed my brakes serviced. Odd. Maybe they should have checked the ABS before, but they were dismissive of that VHR notification. :idea:

Fingers crossed. Hope this is the end of my issues. Now, I just need them to fix that heater wire on the rear window—they ordered the repair kit.

Last edited:

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
My ESS/ESC lights just came on and stay on. :computerrage: I tried the manuals 3 cycle suggestion, speed above 35MPH and shutting down motor in between I’m At 6,632 miles with no prior issues. :please: wishing you the best. Please keep posting, I need a DIY fix. :ontheloo:Really don’t like dealer service if at all avoidable.
I read a post where a member said, his ESS/ESC lights and tire pressure warning light came on after wheels and tires without TPMS were installed. I myself just got new Wheels&Tires and TPMS. All three of my lights are also on and i’m wondering if there is a warning overload going on. No codes are found on my code readers. I’m going to check that fuses are seated, vacuum pump hose is connected, hood pins sensors and air up my 37" tires to factory 37 PSI spec. After that I’ll dis-connect the batteries for 15 minutes. Maybe a computer reboot is in order.
If your procedure doesn’t work. You’re probably going to need to see a dealer service department. They need to pull your error codes. Have them check everything I described above.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
that code is different from what I had. Is your CEL on too?

Ryparks

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sahara
This happened to me too and it was simply the hood latch. Womp.
Sponsored