Service stop/start system warning light

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I noticed that my 2.0 JLUR turns on the yellow light for the auto stop/start (auto start/stop not available) when I use the remote starter. I have to turn the car off and start it again and the light goes off. Have this happening to anyone here?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I noticed that my 2.0 JLUR turns on the yellow light for the auto stop/start (auto start/stop not available) when I use the remote starter. I have to turn the car off and start it again and the light goes off. Have this happening to anyone here?
@Herson

Let me get this right..... So, you are using the Fob to remote start the 2.0 JLUR. Now, after this remote start... your JL is running, you then, walk to where the JLUR is and you get into the JLUR and you see the led light on, indicating that ESS has been turned off...

Ok, with that said, can you, press ignition button and then, just push the led, lit button to turn ESS back on (if in fact it is still on after ignition button push) or are you saying you cannot turn ESS back on with button push and that you have to stop/start JLUR to get ESS button to function again?

Provide more info...

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Herson

Let me get this right..... So, you are using the Fob to remote start the 2.0 JLUR. Now, after this remote start... your JL is running, you then, walk to where the JLUR is and you get into the JLUR and you see the led light on, indicating that ESS has been turned off...

Ok, with that said, can you, press ignition button and then, just push the led, lit button to turn ESS back on (if in fact it is still on after ignition button push) or are you saying you cannot turn ESS back on with button push and that you have to stop/start JLUR to get ESS button to function again?

Provide more info...
I remote start the car, get in the car and push the start button to drive and the dash light of the Auto start/stops shows up. It says that auto stop/starts is not available. I have to turn off the car and start it again and the light goes away. It only happens when I remote start the car and leave it cooling the cabin.
Jeep Wrangler JL Service stop/start system warning light 305CE9AB-CF54-458A-882E-A0BA2D06891C

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Herson

So, you are saying pushing the ESS button does nothing.... is say locked in ESS disabled.

Hmmmm... And if you don't worry about ESS being off and you drive that .....

Anyway, most people would be thrilled with ESS being disabled like you say is happening with remote start.

I use a SmartStopStart to disable ESS, so, I cannot easily test to tell you what my JL does when remote started. I don't remember it doing as yours is doing..

Are you concerned that ESS is being disabled when you remote start... again most here would say whoppee...

Your JL is not going to suffer, with ESS disabled like it is when you remote start.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
ESS is sometimes the first warning that you get when something else is about to go wrong. For instance, when my passenger valve cover started leaking (like many others) the leak drips oil right on to the connector of one of the 02 sensors, when the connector gets saturated it shorts out the pins and the computer sees bad readings from the 02 sensor resulting in numerous check engine codes and your jeep going into limp mode on 3 cylinders. The first indication I got was ESS disabled (mine also permanently disabled with a gizmo) several minutes before everything lit up. I have read of other cases where ESS disabled will come on right before other electrical failures. I wouldn't just ignore it. I wish we could rip the whole damn ESS system out of the vehicle.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ESS is sometimes the first warning that you get when something else is about to go wrong. For instance, when my passenger valve cover started leaking (like many others) the leak drips oil right on to the connector of one of the 02 sensors, when the connector gets saturated it shorts out the pins and the computer sees bad readings from the 02 sensor resulting in numerous check engine codes and your jeep going into limp mode on 3 cylinders. The first indication I got was ESS disabled (mine also permanently disabled with a gizmo) several minutes before everything lit up. I have read of other cases where ESS disabled will come on right before other electrical failures. I wouldn't just ignore it. I wish we could rip the whole damn ESS system out of the vehicle.
@JimLee

If the guy's ESS was a muck.... his batteries amuck or whatever, he'd undoubtedly, be seeing the ESS issue rearing it's head in other ways... more often.. then just when he remote starts his JL.

Sure, I'd keep my eyes and ears open so to speak but no, I would not troop off to the dealer, just yet.

Hope someone here without a SmartStopStart unit or a Tazdr JL, can test to see how there ESS button, responds to a remote start event...

I guess you have a SmartStopStart unit/"gizmo" .... Ain't it grand!!!!!! 8-) @SmartStopStart.com has a terrific product offering.. Well worth the $.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
@JimLee

If the guy's ESS was a muck.... his batteries amuck or whatever, he'd undoubtedly, be seeing the ESS issue rearing it's head in other ways... more often.. then just when he remote starts his JL.

Sure, I'd keep my eyes and ears open so to speak but no, I would not troop off to the dealer, just yet.

Hope someone here without a SmartStopStart unit or a Tazdr JL, can test to see how there ESS button, responds to a remote start event...

I guess you have a SmartStopStart unit/"gizmo" .... Ain't it grand!!!!!! 8-) @SmartStopStart.com has a terrific product offering.. Well worth the $.
I got a different unit, same effect, they won't ship the SmartStopStart to California.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a different unit, same effect, they won't ship the SmartStopStart to California.
@JimLee

Yes, SmartStopStart could get into hot water with California authorities if they get caught shipping to California. I don't blame SSS, from not shipping to there.

Anyone wanting a SmartStopStart unit, have it shipped to your bud in another state and then have him/her forward it to you..... or have a fellow forum member forward it to you...

@SmartStopStart.com is a forum sponsor.

SmartStopStart was first to market with an ESS disabler for the JL. Steve the owner of SSS is a JL owner and active forum member/sponsor here. Great to see him get the business rather then some say Chinese based company selling a knock off...

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
@JimLee

Yes, SmartStopStart could get into hot water with California authorities if they get caught shipping to California. I don't blame SSS, from not shipping to there.

Anyone wanting a SmartStopStart unit, have it shipped to your bud in another state and then have him/her forward it to you.

@SmartStopStart.com is a forum sponsor.

SmartStopStart was first to market with an ESS disabler for the JL. Steve the owner of SSS is a JL owner and active forum member/sponsor here. Great to see him get the business rather then some say Chinese based company selling a knock off...
I think they are being overly paranoid. It is a convenience feature that does not disable anything, just remembers the last button push you made. That being said I do respect that it is their business and being paranoid of the Politburo of California is certainly warranted.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Herson

So, you are saying pushing the ESS button does nothing.... is say locked in ESS disabled.

Hmmmm... And if you don't worry about ESS being off and you drive that .....

Anyway, most people would be thrilled with ESS being disabled like you say is happening with remote start.

I use a SmartStopStart to disable ESS, so, I cannot easily test to tell you what my JL does when remote started. I don't remember it doing as yours is doing..

Are you concerned that ESS is being disabled when you remote start... again most here would say whoppee...

Your JL is not going to suffer, with ESS disabled like it is when you remote start.
No, I never said in my comments I was pushing the EES button. I like the auto stop/start. I was just wondering why The light comes on when remote starting the car.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Probably O2 sensor or bad vacuum hose/pump issue in braking system—causes ESS failures. Once the dealer replaces them they need to flash the whole system to reset things or will still fail. Battled this issue for months.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rt-stop-not-working.45078/page-2#post-1034630

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-system-warning-light.5370/page-4#post-866188

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Yes, here we are with another sad sap story about ESS. Highway driving, North Texas, 100° today, AC on full blast, dress clothes, it was fk'n hot.
I get the dreaded Circle A !. (not pictured)
I pull over, shut her down for 5 minutes, restart, check engine light. Sweet .....
I received the cabin cooling/heating as the reason it was inactive. After 5-min auto start stop returns. At the light I snagged this pic WITH it active.
I should have snapped the pic a few minutes prior with the temp showing 3 digits.
Jeep Wrangler JL Service stop/start system warning light 1597286048690

I let off the brake, check engine light staring at me ...
and I show 13.7v idling.
Jeep Wrangler JL Service stop/start system warning light 1597286093422

My main question ... how do the dealers handle aftermarket items? Lights, Amp, etc....

I have read through this thread ... talk about a whole mess of different possibilities. Appointment for first thing Friday morning. Since they give you an overpriced secondary battery, you'd think they would give you a secondary battery voltage option? no?
Also I am sure I can google this, but what are your thoughts on the starter wear and tear itself?

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Reading through this thread alone, we have the following:
Vacuum Pump / hose replacement
Dead Aux Battery
unseated fuses
O2 Sensor
Hood Latch
Driverside wiring harness
Fuse bar
Grounds making contact
valve actuator and/or pressure sensor
brake pump
brake booster
ABS module

Also read about a few Jeeps that ended up qualifying for Lemon Law.
I should start a pool on what my issue will be.

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Another follow-up - problem solved.

The reason ESS wasn't working was due to a faulty secondary battery. I was told that it's happening a lot, and I was lucky to come in when i did because I was able to get the last battery they had in stock. The replacement was covered under warranty, so no cost to me for the work, nor for the loaner.

Above anything, I'd like to thank the folks at Lithia Jeep of Portland. Couldn't have asked for better service - and wait for it, my car was seen on the day and at the time my appointment was scheduled for!? I didn't purchase from them, but they have my business for service.

On that note, though, I'm not sure how i like it. It takes an extra second or two after releasing the break, allowing it to restart, then go smoothly. It takes a couple seconds for ESS to restart the engine. It's probably a second longer than you're used to waiting after a light changes to green. If you hit the gas too soon, it'll sputter a second before moving forward smoothly.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to share.
Anymore issues with the Jeep?

ynoolJL

First Name
Ynool
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Have to apologize for being angry with the dealer as they were right and should be given credit for fixing it! It was just because I didn’t drive the vehicle enough. Everything is working fine now.

So although some people may drive out of the shop and it starts working, others may take a few days.
How long did it take the new batteries to work in your case? Days or a certain # of miles?
Before getting new batteries: 2018 JLRU had the A! Warning light came in first. Then the engine light. Both disappeared. Appeared again at different times on different drives. I Took back to dealership who plugged in, etc... 50k miles and no info provided. They saw nothing. 1 miss fire ant that was it. On the drive home the A! And engine lifht came on, but the scary thing was a churning engine and reduction in power on the highway. We haven't been driving it regularly for 2 years so we took to mechanic who ran the computer, no other info, but only the 1 miss fire. Checked batteries and since lower... Noa 3-1/2 year old batteries were changed. We drove it home Tue night with 2 new batteries. all good without warning lights. The Bluetooth recognized the phone, the garage opener worked, etc. Drove it again Saturday and the A! Light came on. Later that afternoon both the A! And the engine light came on. Same as the previous week the A!, engine lights, and "stop/start" message. We never got a "low battery " warning.
I read here in the threads about the fuses not pushed in all the way. We haven't checked the fuses today. We will...
Sponsored