Sponsored

Selec-Speed Control vs Hill-Descent Control (Solved)

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
They're called switch blanks. Honda is the acknowledged master of such things. :)

I usually, but not always, purchase vehicles with modest trims. My Ridgeline RT, for example, had almost as many blanks as it did functioning button switches. A reminder of what I refused to pay for, lol.

When I took delivery of my JLU Sport, I was pleased to observe that some buttons were larger than their equivalents on the more feature-rich trim levels, and that other empty spaces used proper trim pieces (not specific blanks) that didn't look like an afterthought. Fair credit to FCA for their effort.
Exactly! I’ve owned cars like that too.

That’s the nasty thing about it. It’s like they intentionally want you to always remember that you didn’t get all the possible options available! I’m sure it’s more of a cost cutting thing but they could do better!

Definitely kudos to Jeep for making so many different switchbacks for all the different options combos!
Sponsored

coupedncal

First Name
CoupednCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at Jeeps
Not sure if this has been asked before on this thread but how do manual transmission equipped JLU get this feature? Do we "ride the brakes" down an incline? ;)

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Yes! I’ve heard great things about toyota’s crawl control and they indeed are pretty much the same thing!
Out of curiosity, are you able to choose speeds in the Toyota? If so, what is the range of speeds you can select?
There is a turn dial up above in the overhead console. It’s has 5 speeds, up to 5mph.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Not sure if this has been asked before on this thread but how do manual transmission equipped JLU get this feature? Do we "ride the brakes" down an incline? ;)
"Riding the brakes" is usually the last option in any situation. In a perfect world, your gearing allows you to use engine braking, unfortunately perfect world rarely happens.
Having wheeled with a manual JK X though, in low range even with non Rubicon gearing, it does a pretty good job.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've regeared mine to 4.88's, but in my Rubicon in low range and leaving it in 1st gear, it stays very in control and slow down steep inclines. Where the brakes get used a lot is in the technical stuff. Stuff you can't just cruise down. Like a series of ledges for example where you basically stop at the top of each one and very slowly roll over. I imagine that scenario would be about the same as an automatic.

I love driving a stick but I'll admit there are times driving around town that an automatic sounds pretty good, but I never wish for an automatic off-road. I bought a manual specifically for rock crawling.

I'm not naïve though and its looking like manual transmissions won't be an option for too much longer so I like to follow threads such as this one.

Pretty cool videos up above on the Toyota system. Makes me want to try that same spot in my jeep.

Sponsored

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
It's time to take off my factory doors and put on my after market (Bestop) half-doors. Last year, I discovered that my Select-Speed Control (SSC) doesn't work when I remove the factory driver door. Anyone know of a work around?

This is from page 291 of the Owners Manual:
SSC is enabled by pushing the SSC switch, but the following conditions must also be met to enable SSC:
 The driveline is in 4WD Low.
 The vehicle speed is below 5 mph (8 km/h).
 The parking brake is released.
 The driver door is closed.
 The driver is not applying throttle.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It's time to take off my factory doors and put on my after market (Bestop) half-doors. Last year, I discovered that my Select-Speed Control (SSC) doesn't work when I remove the factory driver door. Anyone know of a work around?

This is from page 291 of the Owners Manual:
SSC is enabled by pushing the SSC switch, but the following conditions must also be met to enable SSC:
 The driveline is in 4WD Low.
 The vehicle speed is below 5 mph (8 km/h).
 The parking brake is released.
 The driver door is closed.
 The driver is not applying throttle.
Ya, I don't think so. The vehicle would have no way of knowing if you got out/fell out. I imagine you could jumper the connectors if you knew the pin outs though.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

For @DavidArmen and anyone wondering about Selec-Speed vs Hill Descent on 2023s, here's my analysis.

Selec-Speed seems to now be standard on just about all automatics. If I'm interpreting the the data correctly there's a tiny number of automatics w/o Selec-Speed, but I haven't been able to track down that pattern.

There's only 140 instances of Hill Descent. Those are all on domestic 2.0L 4D RHD Sports.

1676678302207.png

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
JLU80 built 12.20 3.6 e-torque with HDC.
I see the main difference vs SSC and HDC is that HDC controls the brakes while SSC controls the brakes AND engine torque. Is there a MECHANICAL aspect to this or is it all computer/electronically controlled? If you have HDC, can the computer be programmed to change it to SSC?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Is there a MECHANICAL aspect to this or is it all computer/electronically controlled?
I'd wager the electronics manage the sum of the functioning. E.g., the soft-touch dashboard button to turn Selec-Speed Control on and off, and the vehicle's forward momentum (w/SSC engaged) being adjusted incrementally via the cruise control rocker switch on the steering wheel.

The only thing that comes to mind as a mechanical control is the analog transfer case lever. Even the shift lever for the 850RE is functionally just a switch.
Sponsored