Sponsored

Selec-Speed Control vs Hill-Descent Control (Solved)

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just going to chime in for the 4xe Rubicon as i test drove one today - 2.0L engine + electric motor.

The dash looks like it has the selec speed button, instead of the hill descent one, but didn’t see any note of it on the sticker - but that could be as the auto is standard and not an option.

interesting it didn’t have the off-road plus button - but that’s a different story / thread.

my $0.02 on the hill descent in a JLUR. It is excellent! I didn’t know how it worked, but on a Jeep academy day they explained. It is super strange to go down a steep, loose, uneven hill with both feet on the floor (not the pedals), but the way you can inch the speed up and down with the gear lever is very cool. Flawless.

My 16 year old daughter used it on a steep decline also without issue - just as an example of what it can do.

826A222D-17C8-439B-9082-6A1F3DC140A3.jpeg

92F3A3BA-C000-4ABB-88BF-5AC5FF68FEC8.jpeg
Looking forward to trying mine out. When I can find a steep incline. Not many trails by me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just going to chime in for the 4xe Rubicon as i test drove one today - 2.0L engine + electric motor.

The dash looks like it has the selec speed button, instead of the hill descent one, but didn’t see any note of it on the sticker - but that could be as the auto is standard and not an option.

interesting it didn’t have the off-road plus button - but that’s a different story / thread.

my $0.02 on the hill descent in a JLUR. It is excellent! I didn’t know how it worked, but on a Jeep academy day they explained. It is super strange to go down a steep, loose, uneven hill with both feet on the floor (not the pedals), but the way you can inch the speed up and down with the gear lever is very cool. Flawless.

My 16 year old daughter used it on a steep decline also without issue - just as an example of what it can do.

826A222D-17C8-439B-9082-6A1F3DC140A3.jpeg

92F3A3BA-C000-4ABB-88BF-5AC5FF68FEC8.jpeg
Enjoy your 4xe! And yes you do have the selec-speed so it will also work when going up a hill. It can be a useful tool for people who are new to off-roading and don’t quite have the confidence so I’m sure your daughter appreciated it!
I, too, am curious why they omitted the ORP button as it’s all software and could have theoretically been tuned for the 4xe hybrid transmission.
My only guess is that they didn’t wanna do any extra R&D to figure out how to implement the software on an entirely new transmission they hadn’t used before.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great thread! Thanks @DavidArmen for getting this started and finding out what's what.

Good thing all my 4Lo wheeling is going downhill, otherwise I ordered our JL 2 years too soon :)

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Great thread! Thanks @DavidArmen for getting this started and finding out what's what.

Good thing all my 4Lo wheeling is going downhill, otherwise I ordered our JL 2 years too soon :)
My pleasure! My curiously often gets the better of me haha
Couldn’t have found the pattern if it weren’t for the awesome members here!

I think the vast majority of the few people who want to use the feature will probably only want to use it when going down a hill anyway, as downhills are usually sketchy😄

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This feature isn’t available at all for manual transmissions unfortunately! (I’m curious as to what your Hill-Descent/Selec-Speed button is replaced with since yours is a manual? Or do you just have one less button on your dash?)

And also, you have a great point if we speak realistically. I highly doubt that a large number of people use these features for any large amount of time. In fact, I’m sure it’s quite the opposite and almost no Jeeper would even think to engage it when progressing along a trail, especially with other Jeeps there. I certainly have never used it other than to test out how it works, and I really doubt I’ll ever use it more than a handful of times during the Jeep’s life, and even then, it will probably be just to have fun and see how it manages. For all intents and surprises, as far as a vast majority of Jeepers are concerned, it’s a gimmick. We were mainly curious as to why Jeep chose to put one or the other in Jeeps with different engines and didn’t just put Selec-Speed in all the Jeeps.
Here’s a pic of my 2019 Rubicon 6 speed dash so you can see how they handle the button.

96B05ACE-A535-48F9-B8D3-D8A77B3589C7.jpeg

Sponsored

Dcoury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Ordered our 2021 Rubicon 3.0
has select speed. Don't have a picture of dash but it's there.

IMG_2959.JPG

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Here’s a pic of my 2019 Rubicon 6 speed dash so you can see how they handle the button.

Jeep Wrangler JL Selec-Speed Control vs Hill-Descent Control (Solved) IMG_2959.JPG
Awesome thanks for the pic!
I really love how Jeep chose to handle their buttons on the JL. They make the surrounding buttons bigger to take the space of a missing button instead of putting an ugly plastic cover over where the button should’ve been.

In your case it’s not due to a lack of options but it’s nice that people who didn’t get certain options don’t have to always look at their dash and see a bunch of ugly covers where buttons would’ve been if they had got that option.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Awesome thanks for the pic!
I really love how Jeep chose to handle their buttons on the JL. They make the surrounding buttons bigger to take the space of a missing button instead of putting an ugly plastic cover over where the button should’ve been.

In your case it’s not due to a lack of options but it’s nice that people who didn’t get certain options don’t have to always look at their dash and see a bunch of ugly covers where buttons would’ve been if they had got that option.
Ya, and in the case of Off Road+ they did a good job also.

taxjoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-door Wrangler Rubicon (ordered 4/3/21)

I think the select speed control is on your 4XE sticker, left side, four up from "Interior Features."

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
I'm pretty ignorant to these systems seeing as I'm a stubborn manual transmission driver. The system as you describe sounds pretty intelligent. The question I have is when do you actually use it? (not the base speed control, referring to the advanced stability features described) If its a particularly hairy situation, I assume you wouldn't want it engaged as you want to modulate speed on your own. Said another way, the extra stability afforded by individual brake activation, etc. becomes less important on the sections of the trail you actually use it on, because those sections of the trail aren't very difficult. Maybe you guys do use speed control the whole time? I'm specifically thinking of times like going down a series of big ledges. Individual braking could be helpful, but I wouldn't think speed control would be in use.

Again, I've never used these systems. Just seeking opinions of those that do. Us manual transmission guys have our own version of cruise control on the trail. Put it in 4 low and select a gear and let the clutch out. Start in whichever gear fits the terrain best. 1st gear very slow, 2nd gear pretty slow, 3rd gear/4th gear about right for the non big obstacle sections. No gas pedal/brake pedal needed much of the time and holds a fairly consistent speed.
Here’s an example video for Toyota Tacoma’s “Crawl Control”. The Jeep Selec-Speed system is pretty close to Crawl Control. The system was also proven by expert off-roaders that got a test Tacoma stuck and couldn’t get it out until they used the Crawl Control.
Im not sure why Jeep never did much marketing on their system. Toyota markets the heck out of their system. 🤷‍♂️
It’s a very complex and smart system.
I have a 2019 Tacoma with Crawl Control and a 2021 JLUR with Selec-Speed. They both work very well.

Here’s an article about the upgrades that were added to the 2021 JLs.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-jeep-wrangler-leaked-features-engines-4wd/

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
it’s nice that people who didn’t get certain options don’t have to always look at their dash and see a bunch of ugly covers where buttons would’ve been if they had got that option.
They're called switch blanks. Honda is the acknowledged master of such things. :)

I usually, but not always, purchase vehicles with modest trims. My Ridgeline RT, for example, had almost as many blanks as it did functioning button switches. A reminder of what I refused to pay for, lol.

When I took delivery of my JLU Sport, I was pleased to observe that some buttons were larger than their equivalents on the more feature-rich trim levels, and that other empty spaces used proper trim pieces (not specific blanks) that didn't look like an afterthought. Fair credit to FCA for their effort.

OP
OP
DavidArmen

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Here’s an example video for Toyota Tacoma’s “Crawl Control”. The Jeep Selec-Speed system is pretty close to Crawl Control. The system was also proven by expert off-roaders that got a test Tacoma stuck and couldn’t get it out until they used the Crawl Control.
Im not sure why Jeep never did much marketing on their system. Toyota markets the heck out of their system. 🤷‍♂️
It’s a very complex and smart system.
I have a 2019 Tacoma with Crawl Control and a 2021 JLUR with Selec-Speed. They both work very well.

Here’s an article about the upgrades that were added to the 2021 JLs.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-jeep-wrangler-leaked-features-engines-4wd/

Yes! I’ve heard great things about toyota’s crawl control and they indeed are pretty much the same thing!
Out of curiosity, are you able to choose speeds in the Toyota? If so, what is the range of speeds you can select?
Sponsored