Sand In Engine

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
I told them I had been off-roading in Red Sands and that I believed my air filter to be clogged which resulted in the engine issues. When they did their diagnosis they told me that there was so much sand in the engine that it needed to be replaced.
Didn't anyone take pictures to document all this supposed sand?
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Don’t ever tell the dealer what you did or what you think the problem is. It’s not your job to give them reasons why you should pay more.

At most I would just say the CEL is on and I have no reason why its on.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
About a month ago I took my 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon trail riding through Red Sands, TX just north of El Paso. This is a very popular spot for off-road enthusiasts to go and drive around the sand dunes. I wasn't doing anything crazy just driving around the dunes and taking every precaution so I would not get stuck in the sand, since I was by myself. Flash forward one week and I am driving my Jeep up to Denver for a holiday ski trip. Half way up to Denver I start experiencing engine issues and slowly start to lose my ability to accelerate. I was able to limp my Jeep into a friends driveway in Denver and have it towed to a Jeep dealer the following day. The dealer checks my jeep and tells me that sand got into my engine and that it will need to be replaced. They inform me that because the sand is an external factor the new engine would not be covered under warranty. When I argued that the engine air filter might be defective for allowing the sand through, they told me that a Jeep Rubicon's air filter is not capable of filtering fine sand. I have filed a claim with my insurance to see if they can cover the costs but I am apprehensive. My Jeep is less than a year old with 11,000 miles on it, it is a 3.0L Eco Diesel so I know their engines are more expensive and on back order. I certainty don't want to break the bank to pay for a brand new engine, considering I'm still making payments on the Jeep. Is it worth me even getting it fixed or just try and sell it back and try to get another Jeep?
Ask the Dealer where that is stated in the manual or a decal on the Jeep somewhere . Pure BS !

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
At this juncture I think you should hire an attorney. See if you have any grounds to sue. You have a fairly new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that got killed by "sand". Huh? Really? After you hire an attorney, research who is the best, most competent independent auto repair shop in your area, and take your Jeep there for a thorough analysis. It will cost you, but not as much as a new engine. Your attorney's advice and professional repair shop diagnosis will determine what you need to do next.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I told them I had been off-roading in Red Sands and that I believed my air filter to be clogged which resulted in the engine issues. When they did their diagnosis they told me that there was so much sand in the engine that it needed to be replaced.
Dude, come on. You can’t go giving them that ammo to begin with. They likely didn’t even look at it past the air filter.

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
If you imploded your air filter or plugged it enough to suck around its seal, the dealer’s right.

Sand is real easy to trace since there should be no trace of it on the clean side of the intake system. Pop the induction tube and see where it came from.

If the entry point is further downstream like at the intake manifold, at a boot or a hole, that’s a factory defect (warranty). If the dust track goes all the way into the air box, you’re unlikely to win the debate. Good luck!

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Something here is off...
If you imploded your air filter or plugged it enough to suck around its seal, the dealer’s right.

Sand is real easy to trace since there should be no trace of it on the clean side of the intake system. Pop the induction tube and see where it came from.

If the entry point is further downstream like at the intake manifold, at a boot or a hole, that’s a factory defect (warranty). If the dust track goes all the way into the air box, you’re unlikely to win the debate. Good luck!
Because it is a turbo diesel, any holes/leaks would not have allowed sand in due to the entire system being pressurized. Any chance of the sand leaking past the air filter would have to be before the turbo.

The only thing that I have seen remotely close to this was snow blocking an intake of an ecodiesel, I wonder if sand could have the same effect.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
*Update*

I talked to @JeepCares and they are siding with the dealer on this one. When I asked if it was possible to bring it to another dealer to get a second opinion they told me that the decision for it not to be covered under warranty was final and that a second opinion would not overturn that result. At this point I just hope my insurance is able to help cover the cost.
@JeepCares comes through again!

Sponsored

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
This story is absolutely horrible. My heart breaks for anyone with a nearly new vehicle that's being told they need a new engine not under warranty. I am skeptical you would see any satisfaction hiring a lawyer but a consult wouldn't hurt.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Something here is off...

Because it is a turbo diesel, any holes/leaks would not have allowed sand in due to the entire system being pressurized. Any chance of the sand leaking past the air filter would have to be before the turbo.

The only thing that I have seen remotely close to this was snow blocking an intake of an ecodiesel, I wonder if sand could have the same effect.
A lot of folks think that but unfortunately, that ain’t true mate absent a variable geometry turbocharger that maintains boost at low idle.

With a conventional turbo, when the throttle body is kicked open, any stored boost is lost and the engine will pull air from the path of least resistance. Worse, that hole that was leaking boost now becomes a straw…….

The only time we have positive boost is when the turbo is delivering more air than the engine is consuming.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
A lot of folks think that but unfortunately, that ain’t true mate absent a variable geometry turbocharger that maintains boost at low idle.

With a conventional turbo, when the throttle body is kicked open, any stored boost is lost and the engine will pull air from the path of least resistance. Worse, that hole that was leaking boost now becomes a straw…….

The only time we have positive boost is when the turbo is delivering more air than the engine is consuming.
Ummmm......a diesel doesn’t have a throttle body.....and thus don’t draw a vacuum.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
they told me that a Jeep Rubicon's air filter is not capable of filtering fine sand.
The filter should be capable of filtering any particulate matter that can damage the engine. I call BS on this, but I'd have vacuumed out the air cleaner and replaced the filter with new before going to the stealership.

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Ummmm......a diesel doesn’t have a throttle body.....and thus don’t draw a vacuum.
Sorry, butterflies as in a Detroit but to your point, not in this engine. That said, a quick check in your EVIC will show you what happens to boost. Go down a hill and it’s even more obvious…… ;)
Sponsored