Engine bogs out in morning.

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
The last few weeks when backing out of my driveway in the morning My engine (3.6L automatic) has been bogging out,sometimes to the point of completely stalling out.
I thought it might have been the (cheaper) gas I was putting in it so I changed it and the same problem is occurring.
It doesn"t seem to do it later in the day...only when it sits over night.
As of right now it is at the dealer and they actually got the problem to repeat, checked everything but can't seem to find the reason....They told me they are going to "contact support" which I guess means FCA?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Sponsored

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Perhaps you've got some debris in your fuel line or filter.

OP
OP
Mwags

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Changed gas two fill ups ago....wawa and sunoco...
Its at the dealer now and I "assume" they trouble shot everything ....They said verbatim "No codes,everything is tight,all fluids are correct so we will keep it over night and contact support.we "were" able to duplicate your concern".
I sure hope I didn't open a can of worms and this doesn't turns into a dealership/FCA nightmare.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mwags

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last few weeks when backing out of my driveway in the morning My engine (3.6L automatic) has been bogging out,sometimes to the point of completely stalling out.
I thought it might have been the (cheaper) gas I was putting in it so I changed it and the same problem is occurring.
It doesn"t seem to do it later in the day...only when it sits over night.
As of right now it is at the dealer and they actually got the problem to repeat, checked everything but can't seem to find the reason....They told me they are going to "contact support" which I guess means FCA?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Update....Dealer called me and said they checked everything and can not find any problems..
They are going to replace the throttle body but it won't be in till Friday....Looks like I'm driving a KIA Forte loaner for the next few days....Wonderful...:facepalm:

Last edited:

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
The power steering puts quite a load on the engine and when the vehicle is in gear but at idle, like when parking, you can feel the engine compensating when you turn the steering.

OP
OP
Mwags

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update....Dealer called me and said they checked everything and can not find any problems..
They are going to replace the throttle body but it won't be in till Friday....Looks like I'm driving a KIA Forte loaner for the next few days....Wonderful...:facepalm:
Update..New throttle body didn't correct problem....Took the Jeep back to the dealer again last week..(Tuesday)..They couldn't get the problem to repeat the first day and notified me that they would keep it over night......Didn't hear back from them till Friday at which point they told me that (Chrysler) told them to disconnect the EGR and PVC valves and said the symptoms went away so they ordered me valves to try on Monday..(Yesterday)....Got a text that the new valves didn't fix the problem and that they contacted (engineering) and are waiting for a reply on what to try next.....
So far..New throttle body,EGR and PVC haven't fixed issue.
This is crazy and I knew this would be a can of worms opened....I want my Jeep back
I guess I have to give the dealer credit for their effort on trying to figure out what the problem is when they could easily tell me there is no problem because it doesn't happen all the time...only in the morning.

View attachment 370085

View attachment 370087

Screenshot_20200915-075613_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200915-075618_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200915-074837_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200915-074843_Messages.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
Mwags

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would suspect if it was a fuel issue it would sputter all the time and not just in the morning.

OP
OP
Mwags

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have noticed that if it warms up a couple minutes the sputtering doesn't really happen.
I wonder if they are just pissing into the wind on trying to figure out what is wrong...Is there anything actually wrong?...Am I knit picking?..Ugh!...But on another note,the dealer seems to agree there is a problem.

OP
OP
Mwags

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does fast idle when first started.....
I generally get in,start it,back out of garage,get out to close garage door,get back in....that all takes maybe a minute?...Then when I back out it sputters....sometimes where I hardly notice,other times a little worse and a couple times where it almost stalled.......It's real intermittent ....then the rest of the day it's fine.
I was actually surprised when the dealer told me that it repeated when they drove it the first time I took it there...But it didn't when I dropped it there the second time until the next day.
Sponsored