Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Based on other Rugged Ridge and Smittybilt parts - I would not think of trying their carriers. Some have had good luck but have not.

My choices were down to the Rusty's, ACE, and EVO.

Choose Rusty's due to robustness, ease of installation, and the e-coating - their customer service was world class. Liked the EVO (simplest) but do not want it rusting. ACE does not sit flat parallel to the tailgate and is more complicated than it needs to be.

Had a chance to finish and drive it today. On the road no movement and no rattles. It does sag a 1/8-1/-4 inch when opened but shuts well and is spot aligned when closed (better than factory). Will do some trails soon with it.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Had a chance to finish and drive it today. On the road no movement and no rattles. It does sag a 1/8-1/-4 inch when opened but shuts well and is spot aligned when closed (better than factory). Will do some trails soon with it.
What size/weight wheel are you running?

Gatorhead96

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu
I'm wondering if the terra flex quick release tag relocation bracket will fit on the rusty's camera bracket?

Sponsored

1Greywolf

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu rubicon, 2012 jeek jk
Does anyone know if Rusty’s has positive stops at hinges to prevent breaking the right tail light when tailgate is fully opened?
Thakns

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Does anyone know if Rusty’s has positive stops at hinges to prevent breaking the right tail light when tailgate is fully opened?
Thakns
I thought I saw in their instructions there's a steel tether on the inside to stop it from opening to far.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I thought I saw in their instructions there's a steel tether on the inside to stop it from opening to far.
Correct.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Have had it on for a few thousand miles. Mostly road but have pounded on a few trails as well. Put a heavier tire on it and now the combo is approx 105-110lbs.

I have taken it apart and adjusted better for a closer fit to the tailgate. I drilled a hole it it and used the factory rubber bumpstop in place of the metal bolt on. It does a better job, it allows me to get closer to the tailgate, and it is safer on the sidewall of the tire.

The sage is an alignment issue - my fault. I need to take apart and remove one of the shims since I am using a heavier set-up. I think that will cure the alignment. Other than that, still no movement, rattle, etc. while driving road or no road.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Rusty's Tire Carrier last night.

I was surprised how long the install took. Took me about 4 hours. Granted, I've never installed a hinge mounted carrier before, but I'm no stranger to installing things on my Jeep.

I did drill for the holes near the handle, that went fine. I used 0 shims and the alignment appears correct, though I'll test that out over the next week and see if I need to do anything. My tire/wheel combo is a 37x12.5x17 Milestar Patagonia and a KMC XD229 beadlock 17x9. I mounted the tire in the lowest mounting position and as close to the tailgate as possible. This cleared no problem with the Rubicon steel bumper.

It seems solid and I think it will do a great job.

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Rusty’s carrier today. It did take most of the day. Was not working fast just wanted to be thorough. It wasn't complicated.
I also drilled the extra holes at the handle. I used my Mopar touch up paint to cover any bare metal.

I used 1 shim and it lined up perfect. 35 x12.5 x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers with Fuel Trohpy 17x8.5
I mounted my tire 1 hole down from the top to give myself some room for my bike rack.

The thing is solid. There is no noise from the back end while diving at all anymore. Before I could heard rattling and thumping back there just hitting a bump in the pavement. I am really happy with it.

Oh and the finish is tough as nails! Really impressed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rusty's Offroad Hinge Tire Carrier? 1598744564438

Last edited:

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered mine on Aug 5 and the going price was $649 at multiple places including direct from Rusty’s. Ordered from JeepHut to get free shipping.

Appears they have raised pricing to $780 now! Maybe that’s just so they can discount for Labor Day back to the old price? I know when it first launched it was $550.

Only thing I don’t like about this carrier is that the camera is set up to the same dimensions as stock. Wish it had a longer neck to account for the lower backspacing of aftermarket wheels.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I ordered mine on Aug 5 and the going price was $649 at multiple places including direct from Rusty’s. Ordered from JeepHut to get free shipping.

Appears they have raised pricing to $780 now! Maybe that’s just so they can discount for Labor Day back to the old price? I know when it first launched it was $550.

Only thing I don’t like about this carrier is that the camera is set up to the same dimensions as stock. Wish it had a longer neck to account for the lower backspacing of aftermarket wheels.
Shit, you're right. I hope they're running a sale soon. I've been eyeing this carrier for a while and was just kind of waiting to get one around black friday. Might have to buy it sooner.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
It appears that the tire carrier now comes with "free shipping." If I had to guess, they raised the price to cover the shipping costs.
Sponsored