Rusty's Offroad Hinge Tire Carrier?

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Mine will be delivered today. I'll get some free time to install this weekend. I was hesitant on the drilling as well, but Rusty himself on one of the Facebook groups said the drilling doesn't have to be done and can be mounted without (yes it is stronger and resists more deflection at the handle with the extra bolts). I wanted to make sure it was the best option before drilling holes. The holes were the only negative for me and after chatting him up I felt confident to order.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The stock hinges are bolted to the tub with 3 bolts each. They are using 4 bolts and provide a metal plate to reinforce the tub.

They are also using 1/4" metal for the hinge pieces. I'm not sure how that compares to the other manufacturers of hinged tire carriers. As far as I've seen, Rusty's is the only one that reinforces the tub where the hinge bolts on the inside.
To be honest that plate is not really reinforcing anything, its at most maybe spreading the load out a bit, but it’s definitely not reinforcing anything. I have the Evo carrier and I really don’t like it, much prefer the Rustys but I would definitely cut off the plate that needs to be drilled because the evo doesn’t have it, nor does the Motobilt and both of those are solid carriers. The Evo is solid as a rock I just don’t like the way it’s designed, it looks rushed, Rustys looks carefully thought out and much better built. I’m waiting to see what TeraFlex comes up with then I’m gonna ditch to EVO for either Rustys or the Teraflex. One thing I like about the evil is it hugs the tire to the body, can you show us a side view of how close your tire hugs the body.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I like it, but what's it gaining at the hinges?

I mean WHY are they more heavy duty? Longer hinge pin? Thicker material?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, just trying to make sure they didn't just copy the factory pieces in terms of size?? Or are we assuming the steel will be stronger than Al?

I understand the plate across the gate stiffens the gate considerably, more curious about the hinges.
You’re talking about a 1/4” factory pin versus a a grade 8 1/2 inch bolt on a solid steel hinge, no comparison. I run a 120 pound spare tire combo and any one of these carriers is a good option, whether it be Motobilt, Evo or Rustys

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
  • • Made in the USA
  • • Made of 3/16-inch and 1/4-inch steel
  • • 100% bolt-on installation
  • • Will carry up to a 40-inch tire
  • • One-hand operation
  • • Adjustable tire position works with most aftermarket bumpers and wheel offsets
  • • Three different lug patterns available
  • • E-coated and Powdercoated satin black
  • • Optional bolt-on accessories available
It also has an antenna mount and the option for different lug patterns. Considering all of that it's a pretty impressive tire carrier.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
You’re talking about a 1/4” factory pin versus a a grade 8 1/2 inch bolt on a solid steel hinge, no comparison. I run a 120 pound spare tire combo and any one of these carriers is a good option, whether it be Motobilt, Evo or Rustys
I visited Rusty's MFG in Alabama 3 wks ago and looked at this carrier on 2 of their JL's to carry my 120lb spare with 3.5 backspacing. It is solid and I like the $550 pricepoint beefing up the hinges and comes with e coating, but there are 2 things that I wasnt crazy about:

1. I didn't want to drill holes in the tailgate
2. With 3.5 backspacing, it didnt bring the spare as close to the tailgate as the teraflex alpha...looks like about an inch further out.

Here's the Rusty's with a 37 and 3.5 backspaced wheel:
WJU2iCN.jpg
aGv6jSF.jpg

I chose the teraflex alpha carrier with Mopar knockoff reinforcement based on a friend with 120lb spare who has ran the mopar reinforcement for a year and has done 20+ badge of honor trails including the rubicon and driven 29k miles....still solid and no tailgate flexing. I wasn't going to spend $600 on the mopar reinforcement when it doesn't strengthen the hinges, but found a knockoff for $170. Considering my friends positive experience over 1 year bouncing it around on alot of tougher trails than I'll do, I went this route for $440 with Black Friday deals. Here's mine:
Z3VApho.jpg
YXaqrLu.jpg

Last edited:

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I visited Rusty's MFG in Alabama 3 wks ago and looked at this carrier on 2 of their JL's to carry my 120lb spare with 3.5 backspacing. It is solid and I like the $550 pricepoint beefing up the hinges and comes with e coating, but there are 2 things that I wasnt crazy about:

1. I didn't want to drill holes in the tailgate
2. With 3.5 backspacing, it didnt bring the spare as close to the tailgate as the teraflex alpha...looks like about an inch further out.

Here's the Rusty's with a 37 and 3.5 backspaced wheel:
WJU2iCN.jpg
aGv6jSF.jpg

I chose the teraflex alpha carrier with Mopar knockoff reinforcement based on a friend with 120lb spare who has ran the mopar reinforcement for a year and has done 20+ badge of honor trails including the rubicon and driven 29k miles....still solid and no tailgate flexing. I wasn't going to spend $600 on the mopar reinforcement when it doesn't strengthen the hinges, but found a knockoff for $170. Considering my friends positive experience over 1 year bouncing it around on alot of tougher trails than I'll do, I went this route for $440 with Black Friday deals. Here's mine:
Z3VApho.jpg
YXaqrLu.jpg
I’m not calling your friend a liar but there’s zero chance that he has no flex, and there’s zero chance of it holding up and passing the long term durability test. He could’ve wheeled on the Moon but that doesn’t mean his tailgate isn’t flexing. I speak from first-hand experience because I ordered my JL with the Mopar carrier and relocation kit, What a waste of friggin money. I also have a very heavy spare tire combo at about 116 and the second I mounted it to the tailgate it dropped immediately, especially when I opened the tailgate.

Teraflex will be out with theirs someday soon hopefully, their really taking their sweet time. Until then Ill continue to run the Evo carrier which holds the tire really tight to the body. But I also have much more of a positive offset then you do. If I don’t like the TeraFlex I'm definitely going with Rusty’s for the long term. I’m not a big fan of drilling into the tailgate either but a grinder and a little Rustoleum to touch up the bare metal can cure that pretty easily.

B5C4B4C4-A07F-429B-8222-91787CBFFDE7.jpeg

FD940131-1DE2-43A0-86F5-9E0E3719601F.jpeg

CA5128A6-1157-4B0F-8B95-63684C2F7439.jpeg

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I’m not calling your friend a liar but there’s zero chance that he has no flex, and there’s zero chance of it holding up and passing the long term durability test. He could’ve wheeled on the Moon but that doesn’t mean his tailgate isn’t flexing. I speak from first-hand experience because I ordered my JL with the Mopar carrier and relocation kit, What a waste of friggin money. I also have a very heavy spare tire combo at about 116 and the second I mounted it to the tailgate it dropped immediately, especially when I opened the tailgate.

Teraflex will be out with theirs someday soon hopefully, their really taking their sweet time. Until then Ill continue to run the Evo carrier which holds the tire really tight to the body. But I also have much more of a positive offset then you do. If I don’t like the TeraFlex I'm definitely going with Rusty’s for the long term. I’m not a big fan of drilling into the tailgate either but a grinder and a little Rustoleum to touch up the bare metal can cure that pretty easily.

B5C4B4C4-A07F-429B-8222-91787CBFFDE7.jpeg

FD940131-1DE2-43A0-86F5-9E0E3719601F.jpeg

CA5128A6-1157-4B0F-8B95-63684C2F7439.jpeg
I took off my relocation bracket and replaced with teraflex alpha when I went to beadlocks and 37s. The relocation bracket pushes the tire out and doesnt help. My tailgate hasn't dropped when open or closed with alpha carrier and mopar knockoff paired with beadlock/37" tire. Maybe yours was installed differently. I also have another friend running my setup with a 40" Nitto and beadlock for 3 months. I wouldn't do it, but it's worked for him.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I took off my relocation bracket and replaced with teraflex alpha when I went to beadlocks and 37s. The relocation bracket pushes the tire out and doesnt help. My tailgate hasn't dropped when open or closed with alpha carrier and mopar knockoff paired with beadlock/37" tire. Maybe yours was installed differently. I also have another friend running my setup with a 40" Nitto and beadlock for 3 months. I wouldn't do it, but it's worked for him.
I get it, I didn't like the way the relocation setup pushed the wheel out and that does cause a little sag but the drop would happen regardless. The hinges on our gates seem strong enough to support the weight but the weak link is the pins and not having the ability to preload the tailgate. Will it work, obviously you guys are doing it but I wouldn’t run it that way for long, just my opinion.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I get it, I didn't like the way the relocation setup pushed the wheel out and that does cause a little sag but the drop would happen regardless. The hinges on our gates seem strong enough to support the weight but the weak link is the pins and not having the ability to preload the tailgate. Will it work, obviously you guys are doing it but I wouldn’t run it that way for long, just my opinion.
I felt the same until my friend ran it for over a year wheelin 37s on beadlocks all over the U.S. probably harder than anybody on this board. Different strokes..

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Anyone also considered the rugged ridge one? Seems solid and a few guys run them.

Im getting ready to go to 37s so I have started my research.

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
Any long term report on the Rusty's carrier?

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Just installed one. Fairly easy and straight forward to install. A few things did not go per instructions but no problem I thin since I will only be using a 35" tire. Did not drill the four far left holes - used silicone caulk behind plat to protect the tailgate from rubbing.

Overall seems fairly solid. Will see once I drive it later this week - need to replace a bolt I overtightened and broke. Rustys customer service has been best to date.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Anyone also considered the rugged ridge one? Seems solid and a few guys run them.

Im getting ready to go to 37s so I have started my research.
I don’t mean to offend anyone that runs the RR carrier, but at that price point there’s literally half a dozen better options. Ones with more adjustability, much better hinges with adjustable preload and better associated hardware. I’m not a fan. Rusty’s, Motobilt and Cavfab to name a few all make a far superior tire carrier for not much more money then the RR.
Sponsored