Sponsored

Modified Rusty's Tire Carrier

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Has anyone cut off the portion of the Rusty's carrier that requires tailgate drilling? I'm considering buying/modding it but wanted to see if anyone else had done it before committing. Thanks!
Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just cut it and touch it up, not much to think about if that’s all that’s holding you up. I’m doing the same thing because I see absolutely no need for it to be there except for a CB antenna. I’ve installed several of these types of carriers and I can’t see how it does anything to increase structural rigidity, I could be wrong because I’m not an engineer, but I don’t see it!!

OP
OP
VA72mlibu

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Yeah I bought the carrier and intend to cut off the extra “tab”. Will post pics when installed.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I remember seeing that piece on Rusty's site and wondered the same. He has a graphic posted that says that section's purpose is for "Full tailgate coverage to prevent handle deflection." Taking that quote literally, it seems like that piece may keep the sheet metal on the tailgate straight so the tailgate doesn't flex when opening it? That's a total guess, of course.

jl-tire-carrier-hilight-tags-wb.jpg

Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I remember seeing that piece on Rusty's site and wondered the same. He has a graphic posted that says that section's purpose is for "Full tailgate coverage to prevent handle deflection." Taking that quote literally, it seems like that piece may keep the sheet metal on the tailgate straight so the deflection of light doesn't make the tailgate seem bent. That's a total guess, of course.

jl-tire-carrier-hilight-tags-wb.jpg
I don’t think that’s the goal because the tailgate is actually pretty well built with not much room for panel deflection. They are trying to reinforce as much of the tail gate as possible, its overkill IMO

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Comments from Rusty:

Good morning Mike, next time you go out to your Jeep, grab the rear tail gate handle and don't open it just twist it side to side. You will see the tail gate sheet metal flex. We added the extension to the Rusty's carrier to help make the tail gate as rigid and as strong as possible.

Our design for the added part offers multiple fixes. You can run up to a 40, strengthen the complete tail gate and hinges and access options for other gear.

As long time Jeepers we have seen what tire carriers that have been produced just to hold a tire do. They last no time, they are hard to open and cracks start showing up. We never want that to happen, and it wont with our design.

It does require drilling 4 holes but it's very easy work for that extra protection. We had people write that just didn't want to drill. You can install without installing those 4 bolts, and it still will help - but not as much. But un-drilled will still be stronger than nothing.

Hope this helps, I have also sent a video that shows a lot of the key points. Thanks

OP
OP
VA72mlibu

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here we go...
F569E1E8-6950-4D13-AB56-731EC4ED8B28.jpeg

OP
OP
VA72mlibu

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Committed...
CC2F3440-E599-40FC-8F02-9358ECFC3D6A.jpeg

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Looks good cut - nice clean job. But after putting one on, it is not that big of deal to leave it on there.

OP
OP
VA72mlibu

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Install complete! A few thoughts:
1) This thing is BEEFY. Very sturdy.
2) Pretty easy install. I managed to do the entire thing completely solo...there were a few times where I was close to muscle failure, but it's not impossible.
3) Very smooth open and close.
4) I didn't install the lower tire bumper yet, will likely do so on first tire rotation. That said, the tire is so solidly mounted that the little tire bumper won’t really be doing much.
My favorite thing about this carrier is that the spare comes off as soon as you take off the lug nuts. I plan to keep my plate off the tire carrier, so I don't have to remove anything else to take off the tire. Overall I'm VERY happy with this carrier. OK, now more pics!

IMG_5163.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5166.jpg

Last edited: