First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I visited Rusty's MFG in Alabama 3 wks ago and looked at this carrier on 2 of their JL's to carry my 120lb spare with 3.5 backspacing. It is solid and I like the $550 pricepoint beefing up the hinges and comes with e coating, but there are 2 things that I wasnt crazy about:

1. I didn't want to drill holes in the tailgate
2. With 3.5 backspacing, it didnt bring the spare as close to the tailgate as the teraflex alpha...looks like about an inch further out.

Here's the Rusty's with a 37 and 3.5 backspaced wheel:
WJU2iCN.jpg
aGv6jSF.jpg

I chose the teraflex alpha carrier with Mopar knockoff reinforcement based on a friend with 120lb spare who has ran the mopar reinforcement for a year and has done 20+ badge of honor trails including the rubicon and driven 29k miles....still solid and no tailgate flexing. I wasn't going to spend $600 on the mopar reinforcement when it doesn't strengthen the hinges, but found a knockoff for $170. Considering my friends positive experience over 1 year bouncing it around on alot of tougher trails than I'll do, I went this route for $440 with Black Friday deals. Here's mine:
Z3VApho.jpg
YXaqrLu.jpg
Sounds like a good option. Where can I find the knock off reinforcement kit?
Sponsored

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I don’t mean to offend anyone that runs the RR carrier, but at that price point there’s literally half a dozen better options. Ones with more adjustability, much better hinges with adjustable preload and better associated hardware. I’m not a fan. Rusty’s, Motobilt and Cavfab to name a few all make a far superior tire carrier for not much more money then the RR.
The Motobilt looks really good.
Thanks, but I see it only accommodates 35" tires. :( I'm looking for a low profile rear bumper and tire carrier for 37" at least. I also like the look of Rusty, Motobuilt, EVO, and Cavfab. I was trying to go functional on a budget. Thanks for sharing.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Rusty's Offroad Hinge Tire Carrier? Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 2.25.37 PM

For those who wonder if there will be a labor day sale, the answer is no LoL. As for me because I am from Canada so there is no free shipping and that will be $780USD + $90USD = $870USD equals $1135CAD + 5% Tax :(
Well, I guess I may just go with smittybilt hd pivot tire carrier which cost around $800CAD LoL!

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Question

This carrier has been rock solid for me - for a year.
This spring, its now producing a creek/squeek over bumps. I tightened every bolt in the system but it's still there
With the gate open, if I lift up and let down the weight, it's a very clear pop/squeek. I've tried to chase it to no avail.
I'm thinking it might actually be the hinges. Is there a way to grease/ lube them ?

Sponsored

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
I visited Rusty's MFG in Alabama 3 wks ago and looked at this carrier on 2 of their JL's to carry my 120lb spare with 3.5 backspacing. It is solid and I like the $550 pricepoint beefing up the hinges and comes with e coating, but there are 2 things that I wasnt crazy about:

1. I didn't want to drill holes in the tailgate
2. With 3.5 backspacing, it didnt bring the spare as close to the tailgate as the teraflex alpha...looks like about an inch further out.

Here's the Rusty's with a 37 and 3.5 backspaced wheel:
WJU2iCN.jpg
aGv6jSF.jpg

I chose the teraflex alpha carrier with Mopar knockoff reinforcement based on a friend with 120lb spare who has ran the mopar reinforcement for a year and has done 20+ badge of honor trails including the rubicon and driven 29k miles....still solid and no tailgate flexing. I wasn't going to spend $600 on the mopar reinforcement when it doesn't strengthen the hinges, but found a knockoff for $170. Considering my friends positive experience over 1 year bouncing it around on alot of tougher trails than I'll do, I went this route for $440 with Black Friday deals. Here's mine:
Z3VApho.jpg
YXaqrLu.jpg
Bringing up an old thread. I'm looking at the Mopar knock off reinforcement. I have the Terraflex relocation bracket, the cheap one. I have 33's and my Park sensors was going crazy. I think the knock off reinforcement would be a good add. How are they holding up for you,?

Jboates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Question

This carrier has been rock solid for me - for a year.
This spring, its now producing a creek/squeek over bumps. I tightened every bolt in the system but it's still there
With the gate open, if I lift up and let down the weight, it's a very clear pop/squeek. I've tried to chase it to no avail.
I'm thinking it might actually be the hinges. Is there a way to grease/ lube them ?
Also bringing up an old thread as I’m having the same concern. Seems solid but creaking over bigger bumps. Any suggested way to lube/grease it?
Sponsored