Rusting welds

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
My little Toyota is 10 years old...just had it on the lift yesterday. No frame rust anywhere! I was surprised since it has been driven nearly everyday here in salted Minnesota.

I am note sure that seeing any frame rust on a new JL is worth worrying about. The rust could be cosmetic or it could indicate deeper problems. I am just going to wire brush out any visible rust then spray it with rust converter and then Rustoleum.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Man, all of these Weld Issues I'm reading about are scaring the crap out of me when I'm about to toss 30k on a vehicle.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Have the dealer agree to put it on a lift before u buy to check them.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
What I have noticed on all JL,s is that all of the have this (RED) dirt on them I guess its from were they store them for shipping.

I took off my lugs 1 by 1 and cleaned them due to red clay like dirt.

Also some of the RUST SPOTS is just RED CLAY.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like Jeep is blowing the issue off. So if they want to play games we can. I just put in 4 NHTSA complaints, (Frame welds/track bar, AC smell, 5inch radio, and AC out the glove box). Just sent some of the pics to a welding inspector. If I have to I'll have it inspected and then bring it to the Denver News stations and associated press. I've also contacted JP magazine.

IF your frame welds are porous, incomplete, show not enough penetration, cracked, or have areas where the paint isn't adhering due to slag please turn them into NHTSA and report it to Jeep Cares/Waves.

Sponsored

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU, Bld date: 2/2018
Occupation
Technical SEO & Web Development
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I posted these pictures on the "track bar shear off" thread. But these welds are unacceptable and show that either a) the machines doing these welds were not calibrated correctly and no one cared to check, or b) the person or people visually inspecting these welds were 100% not doing their job.

I'm expecting my track bar bracket to shear off any day now. It really makes me nervous driving it. The weld all around the bracket is porous, have pinholes, spatter, do not follow any reasonable scallop technique, and for the bracket, the weld doesn't penetrate both sides of the bracket. In one picyou can clearly see that the weld sits on top of the bracket lip and does not properly cover the bracket to frame connection. The weld just barely touches the top ridge of that bracket.

I had a welder that has 30 years of experience in the automotive and boating industry check some welds out and he was floored. His words were "I really hope someone doesn't get seriously injured or killed" and he compared mine to the guy who's track bar sheared off.

As each few days pass I feel more and more like I bought a lemon... or at the very least a vehicle 100% not ready to be sold. A $52k vehicle at that. Sigh :(

20180709_145317.jpg

20180710_111856.jpg

20180710_111914.jpg

20180709_144208.jpg

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Feb 12 2018 build date. At the dealer at the moment. Dealer brought in some a hole from district who seems to think the following is ok and normal.

Slag on 85 percent of the welds
Overweld...big pools and weld wire left on frame
Porous welds..at least a dozen mabe 2 dozen
Track bar bracket is only half welded...looks like it wandered on the weld
Weld splash all over the place.

Dealer is trying to call their district head
I will be calling jeep cares later today.

I build custom motorcycles in my spare time and would never allow welds like this on one of my bikes.
Did you ever get any resolve from the district head or Jeep Cares? Thanks!

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you ever get any resolve from the district head or Jeep Cares? Thanks!
Never mind, I see your post above at them blowing off the issue. I'm thinking of reaching out to our state attorney general if there a continued lack of concern or response. The track bar weld is just simply dangerous.

TWEAKNC

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I just got done inspecting mine and I have the same issues around the welds. Its not pretty. Sounds like Jeep is not concerned. This is only a small sampling of what I found.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.49.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.50.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.50.12 PM.png

Sponsored

NCJeepn73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just got done inspecting mine and I have the same issues around the welds. Its not pretty. Sounds like Jeep is not concerned. This is only a small sampling of what I found.

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.49.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.50.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.50.12 PM.png

Oh Wow! That first one is something. Looks like that one is right behind one of the bolts for the sliders near the front under the driver's seat area?

That is unacceptable. How many miles do you have on yours?

TWEAKNC

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Oh Wow! That first one is something. Looks like that one is right behind one of the bolts for the sliders near the front under the driver's seat area?

That is unacceptable. How many miles do you have on yours?

I should have added info... :) I bought this jeep May 6, 2018. It currently has a little over 2600 miles on it. Always kept clean and taken care of stays in the garage. I will be making some calls.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YIKES. Those look awful. I will be calling my state attorneys office as soon as i can. Already reported to NHTSA.

RockymtnJL

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 23 JLUR 4XE
I should have added info... :) I bought this jeep May 6, 2018. It currently has a little over 2600 miles on it. Always kept clean and taken care of stays in the garage. I will be making some calls.

Wow that’s not pretty. What is your VIN or build date? My JLU Rubicon was built on May 7th and the welds all look good thankfully!

Silverback

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I posted these pictures on the "track bar shear off" thread. But these welds are unacceptable and show that either a) the machines doing these welds were not calibrated correctly and no one cared to check, or b) the person or people visually inspecting these welds were 100% not doing their job.

I'm expecting my track bar bracket to shear off any day now. It really makes me nervous driving it. The weld all around the bracket is porous, have pinholes, spatter, do not follow any reasonable scallop technique, and for the bracket, the weld doesn't penetrate both sides of the bracket. In one picyou can clearly see that the weld sits on top of the bracket lip and does not properly cover the bracket to frame connection. The weld just barely touches the top ridge of that bracket.

I had a welder that has 30 years of experience in the automotive and boating industry check some welds out and he was floored. His words were "I really hope someone doesn't get seriously injured or killed" and he compared mine to the guy who's track bar sheared off.

As each few days pass I feel more and more like I bought a lemon... or at the very least a vehicle 100% not ready to be sold. A $52k vehicle at that. Sigh :(

20180709_145317.jpg

20180710_111856.jpg

20180710_111914.jpg

20180709_144208.jpg
These welds are showing issues with shield gas. Poor shield gas does not necessarily mean a lack of weld integrity. They are mostly just ugly, pitted, splatter and hot.
Sponsored