Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I was crawling around under the Jeep today and spraying ares where rust had started to form with some rust converter. The basic areas... the bottom of the pumpkins, a spot here or there, where the driveshaft bolts to the attachment plate. Places that you would normally see rust.
Then I noticed that 90% of my welds )especially up front) are starting to rust. The paint looks to have peeled off and the bare metal underneath is rusting. With only 5k miles and NO snow (road salt) since ownership this is a bit concerning.
I know on another thread people saw welds where there was a ton of splatter and also parts of the weld were missing.
Is anyone else seeing this issue? I've attached a picture of one of the spots. It's glossy because of teh rust converter being sprayed on it. This is on the driver's side rail about 2 feet back from the tire.

upload_2018-4-29_16-39-4.jpeg
Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi
Holy crap!! I’ve never seen anything like this before................

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
That is slag. The paint doesn't adhere to it. After a while the slag will get knocked off or fall off and the weld and frame will rust.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took about 150 pics of poor frame welds today. Will be sending to jeep waves cares. The left side of mine seems worse than the right.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like Jeep is blowing the issue off. So if they want to play games we can. I just put in 4 NHTSA complaints, (Frame welds/track bar, AC smell, 5inch radio, and AC out the glove box). Just sent some of the pics to a welding inspector. If I have to I'll have it inspected and then bring it to the Denver News stations and associated press. I've also contacted JP magazine.

IF your frame welds are porous, incomplete, show not enough penetration, cracked, or have areas where the paint isn't adhering due to slag please turn them into NHTSA and report it to Jeep Cares/Waves.
Sponsored