Sponsored

Rubicon Under the Hood?

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018
Hi Jeepers! I have a question for you. I bought a 2018 JLU Wrangler Sport. However I upgraded my front and rear differentials to Rubicon grade, in addition to an upgraded Rubicon steering damper. I have a MOPAR 2 inch lift, LED headlights, BFG 32 inch tires and kmc wheels. I have metal cloak fenders, a winch and aftermarket front and rear bumpers. Is my Wrangler Sport a "Rubicon under the hood"? I mean other than the engine, what is different? Do you have any recommendations on further upgrades/after market parts??
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm afraid not. You're still missing the lockers, the D44 front axle, 4:1 transfer case, the rock rails... pretty much everything that makes a Rubi a Rubi.

That being said, the engine in a Rubi is no different than a Sport.

OP
OP
Sierra_supersport_82
First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018
I have The D44 front axle and the rock sliders. Seems like the lockers and 4:1 transfer case, are the only difference?

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
I have The D44 front axle and the rock sliders. Seems like the lockers and 4:1 transfer case, are the only difference?
What did it cost to swap out for the D44 front axle?

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
Electronic Swaybar Release.

I wouldn’t be so concerned with trying to match a Rubicon, sounds like you have a very capable Jeep.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
As mentioned above, there are a few more things to get all the Rubicon mechanicals. Also, there are some software items, which I think I read that the Tazer can activate as a selectable.

As for swapping any more of the Rubicon parts in, it just depends on whether you'll need them for what you do. 4:1 xfer case and lockers are mostly a rock crawling thing. The Dana 44s are more to take loads from large tires and intermittent traction and some hard pounding. I didn't see where you posted your axle gear ratios. A Rubicon has 4.10:1 gears standard. A Sport has 3.45:1 gears. If you go with 35" or 37" tires, lower gears will help both on-road and off. Big tires rob acceleration performance, fuel economy, and braking performance like a bandit.

The electric swaybar disconnect is more Barbie stuff. It allows you to push a button on the dash to disconnect the front swaybar which allows the suspension to more freely articulate. The same thing has been done manually with inexpensive quick disconnect links on the swaybar for decades. But you have to get under the vehicle and get dirty. Again, not a feature needed for driving on a typical 2-track trail. More crawler stuff.

One fairly pricey mod I'm considering for my Rubicon is some type of film paint protection, like vinyl or the Xpel stuff. My use puts me in 2-track trails with overgrown brush that curls the paint off a vehicle. Being an old man that just goes places to hunt birds with my birdog, I'm sure I coulda got by fine with a stripped down Sport and some bigger tires and a take-off suspension from a Rubicon and a winch.

Last edited:

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I'm afraid not. You're still missing the lockers, the D44 front axle, 4:1 transfer case, the rock rails... pretty much everything that makes a Rubi a Rubi.

That being said, the engine in a Rubi is no different than a Sport.
This.

Sponsored

Matic

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon. 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD, DC, Pretunner
I was under the impression that the rear could only be ordered(sahara not sport) M220 with the Dana 44 wide. Where did you get the D44 front and who installed it.

More so....why?

OP
OP
Sierra_supersport_82
First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018
I was under the impression that the rear could only be ordered(sahara not sport) M220 with the Dana 44 wide. Where did you get the D44 front and who installed it.

More so....why?
Santa Monica Jeep is the one who is ordering and installing everything.
Sponsored