Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
While I'm working on the Fender Chop video, here's a video I just posted.

If you're into beautiful Jeep builds and in this case LJ's (who isn't) that feature some amazing craftsmanship, you might enjoy this one✌🏻

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven
Sponsored

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
• Looking for more Performance/Stage 1 •

Ever since I saw that SRT had breathed on the 2.0L Turbo drivetrain that was in the Jeepster Beach Concept (EJS 2022) and they were getting 340HP/369ft.lbTQ out of the 2.0L, I've been wanting to try some mods that might help the little 4 banger breath a little better.

This first round will be an intake, followed by an exhaust upgrade. I will be doing videos to cover the results in some good detail and chart the results very soon.

So, here's the first performance mod, Holley's Intech Cold Air Intake. I settled on the Intech Intake for a couple of reasons. First, it utilizes the factory air intake location. This was important to me because I know the engineers at Jeep spend some time working the details that allow for maximum water fording. Secondly, I liked that Holley posted the dyno chart on the performance of this intake, so I felt this could yield some tangible performance benefits.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_5132

Here's the intake installed...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_5147 2

True to Holley's statement, it takes a few miles for the ECM to learn the new set-up. After driving about 30mi. or so, I could really feel the difference in power delivery on my Jeep. What's really great about this intake design is it's making power lower in the rpm range.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon Holley Intech

Stay tuned, more to come soon.

-Steven

Last edited:

Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Sweet looking intake Steven. 👍🏻 Is it much noisier than prior?

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

SPRINKLES

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392, 2001 TJ
Hi Paul! Thanks for the compliment. First off, the LP4's are one of my favorite light units. Incredibly useful light output in a relatively small package.

I originally had them mounted on the factory hoop guard that came on my Recon. This worked great but I was wanting a more integrated look, which is why I moved them inside the main hoop of the XLP.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon Holley Intech

To answer your question regarding clearance, they just fit. I spent a good amount of time playing the Baja Designs bracket orientation and what would be the final mounting point. I have a washer between the lighting bracket and the bumper so they can be aimed without scratching the bumper paint. Use my measurements from the video and you can replicate this install.

I'm going to see if I can snap a pic for you to show the clearance.

-Steven
They're a good lookin' light. I'm trying to decide on lights for the A-pillar. Something to shoot off to the side and help watch for deer at night on backroads. Highly considering the LP4s. Think they'd be a good fit for the A-pillar?

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
They're a good lookin' light. I'm trying to decide on lights for the A-pillar. Something to shoot off to the side and help watch for deer at night on backroads. Highly considering the LP4s. Think they'd be a good fit for the A-pillar?
Hey Dan, good hearing from you. The LP4's are an amazing light, providing not only excellent forward punch but also provide 200° of coverage.

That 200° coverage I just mentioned is why I don't think it would be at it's best mounted on the A-Pillar. I think that coverage will have the light spilling all across the hood which will be very distracting. Maybe take a look at something like the Diode dynamics SS3 Pods or even the SSC1 Pods. Diode Dynamics gives you the option to choose and even swap out the lens to shape and even color the light. Lastly, I ran a set of Rigid D-SS Pro Pods on my previous JK. That light has a side strip light and I believe you can cancel the inner strip so when mounted on the A-Pillar they won't illuminate the hood.

Here's my current setup which is working well for me. I think I'm going to swap the SSC1 lens out to clear soon and try that on the trails.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Recon IMG_4289.JPG

-Steven

SPRINKLES

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392, 2001 TJ
Hey Dan, good hearing from you. The LP4's are an amazing light, providing not only excellent forward punch but also provide 200° of coverage.

That 200° coverage I just mentioned is why I don't think it would be at it's best mounted on the A-Pillar. I think that coverage will have the light spilling all across the hood which will be very distracting. Maybe take a look at something like the Diode dynamics SS3 Pods or even the SSC1 Pods. Diode Dynamics gives you the option to choose and even swap out the lens to shape and even color the light. Lastly, I ran a set of Rigid D-SS Pro Pods on my previous JK. That light has a side strip light and I believe you can cancel the inner strip so when mounted on the A-Pillar they won't illuminate the hood.

Here's my current setup which is working well for me. I think I'm going to swap the SSC1 lens out to clear soon and try that on the trails.

-Steven
Thanks. That is something to take into consideration.

Sponsored

Lakersgrl27

First Name
Kyra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
All, to start things off, little things first. I plan on keeping my stock steel Rubicon bumper. I'll be adding a Warn winch at some point.

So, let's get that license plate out of the way and make room for the fairlead and such.

IMG_9946.jpeg

To do this I'll be using the Maximus-3 JL Stealth License Plate bracket.

IMG_8218.jpeg

I used this same set-up on my JK. I like that it locates the plate up high and out of the way. Max also includes two 'quick' release wingnuts to remove the plate for trail running.

Here's a pic of the bracket mounted to the bumper.
IMG_9956.jpeg

and what you would have if you remove the plate for off roading...
IMG_9957.jpeg

...and all finished up..
IMG_9959.jpeg

IMG_9960.jpeg

This mounts using the stock mounting holes, quick, clean and easy.

-Steven
Steven, I unfortunately got my Jeep with the plastic bumper. Will be upgrading to the oem steel…..question (something I just can’t seem to get a clear answer to), does the stock steel Rubicon bumper come with the winch guard (I’m referring to the bar that fits on top of the bumper). Sorry, my first jeep and I’m just learning the lingo
Ty!

KAB96F

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Steven, I unfortunately got my Jeep with the plastic bumper. Will be upgrading to the oem steel…..question (something I just can’t seem to get a clear answer to), does the stock steel Rubicon bumper come with the winch guard (I’m referring to the bar that fits on top of the bumper). Sorry, my first jeep and I’m just learning the lingo
Ty!
You referring to the bull bar?

OP
OP
ExpeditionBuilds

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Ty!
Hi and congrats on your first Jeep!

The winch guard does not come with the OEM Steel Bumper. It is a Mopar accessory. Here's a link to the Jeep Performance Parts catalog: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2020-jeep-performance-parts-mopar-catalog.60666/

Hit me up with any additional questions and good luck with your build.

-Steven

CamperShamu

First Name
Shamu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR(ordered), Tesla 3, BMW m240i
Hey ironbullfrog! It's been flawless and I have no problem recommending it.

It runs silent, the finish looks new and seems very durable after using different tie-off points for the cargo on our various trips.

If you decide on getting one, please use the 10% discount code found on the review video (expeditionbuilds10) I don't make anything on the sale, but I was able get that for my viewers. Good hearing from you✌🏻

-Steven
Hi Steven, One thing i noticed was the bars on the Mule rack don't have any t slots for mounting accessories. How are you able to mount the rotopacks or other accessories? did you end up drilling holes to put mounts in? I really love the way this rack looks but am hesitant due to the lack of built-in slots... Trying to decide between this and the Uptop Overland Bravo which is similarly priced(slightly cheaper actually) but seems to have slots on the bars and some light mounting options.

Beautiful build btw and great review videos! Getting a lot of inspiration here :)
Sponsored