First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Thank you, we actually really enjoy being a part of this community!
Hello Mr. James
Why do you have the front upper control on your entry 2.5 lift kit instead of the front lowers?
I see that Clayton and MC use them in their entry kits.
Thanks, Frank.
Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hello Mr. James
Why do you have the front upper control on your entry 2.5 lift kit instead of the front lowers?
I see that Clayton and MC use them in their entry kits.
Thanks, Frank.
Hello Frank!

The reason for this is because adjustable front uppers are actually a more effective way of dialing in your caster angle rather than using the front lowers. The front upper arms are actually able to make the necessary adjustment a lot quicker, and without pushing your axle as far forward as the lowers would, which without adjustable control arms all around can cause all sorts of geometry issues under your vehicle. Hopefully this makes sense and answers your question, let me know if there's anything else we can help with!

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
MC uses upper fronts also. If the two BEST go that route it must mean that is the way to go. Personally I'm going Overland+ but still tossing about the shocks to go with.
I'm thinking I should do the same and I am leaning toward the Fox shocks for 90% daily for my wife, but I get it the other 10%.

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
I just ordered the 2.5 Overland+ with the Fox 2.0s. Now i need to make room in the garage for the install. Thank James@Clayton and Evan for starting the thread!

Sponsored

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Sam here from Canada. Ordered the overland plus and fox 2.0 from northridge4x4.ca. However its been two weeks already and they told me @Clayton Off Road has no update on when the kit will ship out. Waiting sucks LoL!!

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I've had some experience with both company's products (on TJ's). You can't go wrong with either. Both fantastic.

I vote Rock Krawler, because I loved my 3.5" XFactor Long arm on my TJ. I plan to go RK when I go to lift my JLUR. They're the locals to me, and I've known those guys for years, and they've done a decent amount for the local wheeling community up here, in an area that's kind of a wasteland for organized wheeling.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sam here from Canada. Ordered the overland plus and fox 2.0 from northridge4x4.ca. However its been two weeks already and they told me @Clayton Off Road has no update on when the kit will ship out. Waiting sucks LoL!!
Please have NorthRidge contact us as we are currently unaware of any JL kits on back order that are going to Canada. It's possible it has either already shipped, or for some reason we have not received their purchase order yet. Feel free to follow up with us if you need to, phone number is (203) 691 8593

Last edited:

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
I just placed my order yesterday with Clayton Offroad. They sent me FedEx tracking info, but also sent this:
EST SHIP 9/30

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just placed my order yesterday with Clayton Offroad. They sent me FedEx tracking info, but also sent this:
EST SHIP 9/30
Just waiting on a shipment of coils to arrive and we will be shipping these kits out!

Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
MC uses upper fronts also. If the two BEST go that route it must mean that is the way to go. Personally I'm going Overland+ but still tossing about the shocks to go with.
Replacing and adjusting front uppers is easier and the arms are less expensive to produce than lowers. The big consideration is the loss of wheel base without replacing the front lowers and running a shorter front upper to accomplish caster correction takes away even more wheelbase. The ideology of using front uppers rather than front lowers is simply cost based and trying to get to a price point rather than providing proper corrections at a higher cost.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Replacing and adjusting front uppers is easier and the arms are less expensive to produce than lowers. The big consideration is the loss of wheel base without replacing the front lowers and running a shorter front upper to accomplish caster correction takes away even more wheelbase. The ideology of using front uppers rather than front lowers is simply cost based and trying to get to a price point rather than providing proper corrections at a higher cost.
The decision to use front uppers in an entry level kit rather than front lowers is not at all based on any sort of monetary factor, especially being that the difference in price between the two sets of arms is roughly $80 or so, but instead like we stated previously the most effective way to adjust caster in a kit that is only going to come with one set of replacement adjustable control arms.

While we always recommend and make mention to our customers that the best possible solution is to go with one of our complete kits that comes with all eight adjustable control arms, entry level kits are designed for somebody who is only looking to fit a larger set of tires while maintaining road manners, rather than improving upon off road performance. In this scenario, caster angle plays a much more significant and crucial role than any minor adjustments to wheel base, so utilizing front uppers over lowers is the approach we wanted to take and have had great results in doing so.

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have been reading a lot and talking with quite a few people that have different lifts. Had it down to Rock Krawler, Clayton, MC, and AEV. Almost certainly going with the Clayton 2.5" Overland plus kit once my jeep arrives. Will probably start with the Fox 2.0 shocks as well.

OP
OP
TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2.0 turbo, auto
Clayton Offroad,

Is the Premium Lift Kit for the JL the same as the Overland Plus kit? I thought I had previously seen a specific Overland Plus kit for the JL but now the only two lift kits I'm seeing for the JL are the Premium and Entry Level.

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Clayton Offroad,

Is the Premium Lift Kit for the JL the same as the Overland Plus kit? I thought I had previously seen a specific Overland Plus kit for the JL but now the only two lift kits I'm seeing for the JL are the Premium and Entry Level.
I have a 2020, but input model year 2018 or 2019. This usually opens more options if the site wasn't updated.
Sponsored