Rock Krawler 2.5?

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
A triple rate coil will handle differently throughout its compression cycle, giving different ride characteristics.

I think by suggesting spacers, the idea is still allow the spring to cycle thru all 3 cycles during compression/expansion, getting the full ride benefit.

If a 3.5” coil stayed compressed 1” always, you t could limit how long your springs are in each of the 3 compression cycles, affecting ride quality.

Someone with more background could explain the technical differences, but I think at a high level that is why they are suggesting it.

Or I could be completely wrong. It’s my uneducated complete guess, lol
Sponsored

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2.5" Adventure System (stage 1) with the 2.25 RRD shocks and when I was driving home last night on a winding country road, I could tell something was right. This morning I checked around the Jeep and found one of my shocks (front passenger) had leaked a bunch of oil (the other 3 are dry). I only have 11,000 total miles on the Jeep and put the lift on after about 5,000 miles, so there is only about 6,000 miles on the shock, but I have had them for over a year, so I think warranty is out. I haven't had much of a chance to go off-road, so it's just the pounding of our crappy California roads. What good shock options do I have? I'm willing to spend more for something that works better if need be. Thanks

PXL_20211012_153049019.jpg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2.5" Adventure System (stage 1) with the 2.25 RRD shocks and when I was driving home last night on a winding country road, I could tell something was right. This morning I checked around the Jeep and found one of my shocks (front passenger) had leaked a bunch of oil (the other 3 are dry). I only have 11,000 total miles on the Jeep and put the lift on after about 5,000 miles, so there is only about 6,000 miles on the shock, but I have had them for over a year, so I think warranty is out. I haven't had much of a chance to go off-road, so it's just the pounding of our crappy California roads. What good shock options do I have? I'm willing to spend more for something that works better if need be. Thanks

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Krawler 2.5? PXL_20211012_153049019
Fox pairs really well with RK springs.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Any particular ones?
Depends on how you use your rig, if mainly DD, the 2.0 resi would work great. If you want a little better performance and adjustability off road then you might consider the 2.5 s . Best thing to do is talk to @AccuTunedJL . They seem to have a pretty good handle on it. I’m running the 2.5s and they’re great for my setup .

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Krawler 2.5? 9B6D6A88-8874-4990-A757-19EF4CCF1C80

Last edited:

Sponsored

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Krawler 2.5? 9B6D6A88-8874-4990-A757-19EF4CCF1C80
Those are rebuildable and the parts are relatively cheap. I'd probably go that route before dropping 3k on new remote resi's.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those are rebuildable and the parts are relatively cheap. I'd probably go that route before dropping 3k on new remote resi's.
I might, or I could just buy one for $250. Normally, that is what I would do, but last year I blew the seals on 3 of 4 kings on my Ram 2500 and I had them re-sealed and it happened again, so I put some foxes on that and have had no issues. I can't figure out how I keep blowing shock seals, I don't beat my vehicles. They are not rusting or exposed to a harsh climate. I just want to fix it once. Thanks for you reply.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I did what I was told and called Accutune, they had Foxes in stock and ready to be tuned. I think I got the same ones that Roky got (adjustable Fox 2.5). In the little bit of time I had to research this, Accutune's name popped up several times. Thanks again for the advice.

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
Well, I did what I was told and called Accutune, they had Foxes in stock and ready to be tuned. I think I got the same ones that Roky got (adjustable Fox 2.5). In the little bit of time I had to research this, Accutune's name popped up several times. Thanks again for the advice.
Nice. That’s what I plan to go with in some time. Do they generally ask you about your load and equipment? Don’t think it impacts price correct?

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got the shocks on Friday and I installed them on Saturday. I was only expecting it to ride a little better than the old shocks, but was amazed by how much better it rode. I was bombing my windy, bumpy country road like it was a trophy truck. I haven't even had time to mess with the adjustments. I just dialed them all 4 clicks in from the full "-" setting and drove it. No off-road time yet, but I love them so far. My wife agrees that it drives way better too and she has no idea what shocks are or that I paid $3k for them ;). Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Sponsored

David P.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
How long does it take for RK 2.5” springs to settle in order to determine your actual lift height?

I also play to add a Maximus 3 winch plate and either a Smitty x20 or Evo 10-s on a Mopar steel bumper without the wings.

Any ideas how much spring sag I’ll get add the plate and a winch?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
My opinion the rear is more the issue. If you run a lot of weight in rear, with RK I had to go an inch higher in rear than in front. I didn’t see any material difference with time other than making my jeep and me fatter.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
how do we know that there isnt small differences in spring perch height etc with a Rubicon? That’d be-my only concern with the measurements. RK should be responding to the thread... if its a jk coil it probably has a stiffer rate due to the extra cab weight of the jk. Were your springs labled?
For those of you interested on a 2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon with a V6 the middle bar height is 14.5 inches (But I'm running 35's).

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
@travelboysteve @XJrider @Rock Krawler Suspension @stil2low
Any help is appreciated...I've been looking at my jl with added RK adventure 2.5" stage 1 lift, can you help me understand how this lift adds 2.5" of lift? I made sure coil pads were used and coils arent bound up. It feels and measures more like a 1.5" lift on my jl sport that has jlur d44 axles. I looked at the coils tonight and they are part # RK 04186 which also googles as being triple rate coils for a 1.5" lift for the wrangler jk and jl. I'm wondering if I was accidentally sent the 1.5" coils or springs for a jk that would offer a smaller lift on a jl. For example:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...f8AYUlN1VVXiYFbUG5p7jc7rGoFMIwxBoClU8QAvD_BwE
Here's jeep pre lift on 315/70/17 tires(camera is slightly angled making front rake look bigger)
obRGOwg.jpg

On same tires with 2.5" lift:
873PaGh.jpg

Considering tires are upsized from stock rubi 285/75/17 ko2(measured 31.75" mounted where tread starts) to a bigger 315/70/17 which is measuring 33" mounted where tread starts. So with tire upgrade alone, it gained approx .6" height(radius of 1.25" diameter bigger tire).
I went to a jeep dealer today and measured the same spot on flat ground on 2 stock rubicon jl's(driver side low point on belly at hole cut out for bolt in tubing crossmember that runs laterally) and both stock rubi's measured 13.25" from the ground. (@TTEChris was also kind enough to measure one) I then measured my 2.5" lifted jeep with .625 radius bigger tires on flat ground and it measured 15.5". Here's my measurement:
dZSbANB.jpg

Here's the front driver side measurement from the top of axle to bottom of cup that holds the coil showing 13.75". Would someone with a stock rubi please measure this height for comparison?
oRCmJQS.jpg

In summary, this lightweight jl (plastic bumpers and no winch) is now 2.25" taller than a stock rubi measured at the belly at same spot on flat ground after going to taller 315/70/17 ko2's and adding a claimed 2.5" lift. I was expecting to be atleast 3.25" taller than stock rubi right after the lift before it settles..What am I missing? Could these coils be the wrong size Thanks for any help!
For a 2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon this measurement is just under 12.0 inches. Bone stock.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
For a 2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon this measurement is just under 12.0 inches. Bone stock.
When did you purchase the kit you installed? Can the owner of the Silver jeep also give me a call in the office to discuss this as well. 518-270-9822.

Thanks
Sponsored