Rock Krawler 2.5?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
How did your lift and 4.75” of backspace work out?
Great, although I ended up on 35” Patagonias. No rubbing at all at full steering lock on the LCAs and the lift is perfect height for me and the wheeling I do. RK didn’t include any bump stops so I’m running zero additional bump stop from stock, and I’m able to stuff the tire completely without rubbing the fender either. I’m sure this will change if I do the 37” route.

I’m undecided but will probably be going to those 37” KM3 next season so will see how that affects everything. Seems like a BFG that runs a tad small will still clear without rubbing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Krawler 2.5? FDF8F056-12BC-4B54-B5A1-EB5FCD596577
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Krawler 2.5? 221139C1-DB63-42BD-B925-6DDF52CE820A
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
I had the RK 2.5 X Factor No limits installed. So far its been great. One question I have is my rear low? Only ask because I recently went and hit some trails. I got quite a bit of rubbing in the rear. Right where the bumper wraps around. Not much clearance there. And its just plastic. Just wondering if my tent set up forced the springs to settle quicker than normal or do these springs need to be stiffer? I'm running Maxxis Razr 37x12.5's.

Here's the best side by side I can get right now.

First right when the install was done
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Krawler 2.5? 1D62BDF8-E112-4BBB-938D-C0E5592B95A2_1_105_c

Couple weeks after
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Krawler 2.5? C30AF57A-FBD9-43E4-95C6-6A065004F591_1_105_c

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I had the RK 2.5 X Factor No limits installed. So far its been great. One question I have is my rear low? Only ask because I recently went and hit some trails. I got quite a bit of rubbing in the rear. Right where the bumper wraps around. Not much clearance there. And its just plastic. Just wondering if my tent set up forced the springs to settle quicker than normal or do these springs need to be stiffer? I'm running Maxxis Razr 37x12.5's.

Here's the best side by side I can get right now.

First right when the install was done

Couple weeks after
These springs ride great but don't handle a lot of extra weight in the back before sagging. I was going to throw 3.5 springs in the rear of mine before I decided to go coilovers.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
These springs ride great but don't handle a lot of extra weight in the back before sagging. I was going to throw 3.5 springs in the rear of mine before I decided to go coilovers.
Good to know… I’d eventually like to run a rear steel bumper, tire carrier, and perhaps even get a Rhino Rack Platform. Might need to add spacers them or go to 3.5” springs in the rear?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Yea
Good to know… I’d eventually like to run a rear steel bumper, tire carrier, and perhaps even get a Rhino Rack Platform. Might need to add spacers them or go to 3.5” springs in the rear?
You will probably have to compensate. Im running an LOD bumper w tire carrier, 35 MT, a Rhino Rack w nothing on it at the moment and when I throw tools, recovery gear, 5 gallons of water, a cooler, and some lawn chairs back there it sags pretty hard. I dont rub like the OP because the bumper is a shorty, but I have to be careful coming down in the rear or ill be hitting bump stops. I love the RK stuff and will continue to run their x factor kit minus the springs and shocks, but I think their spring rates are better for the light weight set ups.

Sponsored

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea

You will probably have to compensate. Im running an LOD bumper w tire carrier, 35 MT, a Rhino Rack w nothing on it at the moment and when I throw tools, recovery gear, 5 gallons of water, a cooler, and some lawn chairs back there it sags pretty hard. I dont rub like the OP because the bumper is a shorty, but I have to be careful coming down in the rear or ill be hitting bump stops. I love the RK stuff and will continue to run their x factor kit minus the springs and shocks, but I think their spring rates are better for the light weight set ups.
Thanks for that insight. This is the set up I plan to have for a while. I wonder if 3.5 springs are the way to go for the rear. Or maybe a different spring all together? Not sure what that will be. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to some Fox 2.5 by pass shocks as well.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Thanks for that insight. This is the set up I plan to have for a while. I wonder if 3.5 springs are the way to go for the rear. Or maybe a different spring all together? Not sure what that will be. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to some Fox 2.5 by pass shocks as well.
The only problem I see going with a "heavy duty" or longer rear spring is if you are going to run your Jeep light day to day and then load up a bunch of weight for trips. In that case you will be riding high in the rear and probably rough when unloaded. In that use case I would probably look into one of the spring air bag systems to use when heavily loaded, you can deflate them and it would be like they are not even there when running light. If you are going to run heavy in the back all the time I would consider "heavier duty" or longer rear springs. The nice thing about going coilovers is that if I throw a bunch of extra weight in the rear I can level my Jeep back out by adjusting ride height with preload (within some boundaries and I most likely sacrifice some ride quality in the rear by doing this), but coilovers are expensive and come with their own mountain of complexity so I absolutely don't recommend them for everyone.

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only problem I see going with a "heavy duty" or longer rear spring is if you are going to run your Jeep light day to day and then load up a bunch of weight for trips. In that case you will be riding high in the rear and probably rough when unloaded. In that use case I would probably look into one of the spring air bag systems to use when heavily loaded, you can deflate them and it would be like they are not even there when running light. If you are going to run heavy in the back all the time I would consider "heavier duty" or longer rear springs. The nice thing about going coilovers is that if I throw a bunch of extra weight in the rear I can level my Jeep back out by adjusting ride height with preload (within some boundaries and I most likely sacrifice some ride quality in the rear by doing this), but coilovers are expensive and come with their own mountain of complexity so I absolutely don't recommend them for everyone.
I know the RK stuff is supposed to be pretty modular. I wonder if I can just swap out the 2.5” springs for 3.5” at all four corners and leave everything else. I do run a steel bumper and winch in the front.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I know the RK stuff is supposed to be pretty modular. I wonder if I can just swap out the 2.5” springs for 3.5” at all four corners and leave everything else. I do run a steel bumper and winch in the front.
People have done it. You would need to recheck clearances and adjust bump stops as necessary, make sure your current shocks have enough travel, also drive shaft angles tend to become more of a thing around 3 inches and up.

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Let us know if you do the swap to the 3.5" coils as I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to do 3.5" coils and add the Teraflex .5" spacer in the rear so when I'm loaded it should be closer to level.

Sponsored

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let us know if you do the swap to the 3.5" coils as I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to do 3.5" coils and add the Teraflex .5" spacer in the rear so when I'm loaded it should be closer to level.
Will do. I'm going to talk to my shop about it. The driveshaft item you mentioned might be the only thing to consider.

Reactions: TJP

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to update I talked to my shop and they said I could go with the 3.5” springs. There might be some differences in ride and less downward travel. He said I may want to try a 1.5” spring spacer first to keep the same ride quality but bump it up a touch. Said with a small spacer it shouldn’t have any negative effects on the springs.

Not sure what I’m going to do yet. Bringing it in next week for gears so we’ll see.

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I find it hard to believe that an inch taller coil would affect the ride quality any more than a spacer....but I've been wrong before.

Reactions: J0E

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find it hard to believe that an inch taller coil would affect the ride quality any more than a spacer....but I've been wrong before.
Perhaps not but he may have suggested it as a less expensive alternative than 4 new springs. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Could do spacer, 3.5" RK springs or 3" Synergy springs. Not sure if the spring rate on the Synergy springs are more or less vs RK.
Sponsored