Sponsored

ROAM Side Steps Install

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My Roam steps arrived unscathed even though the box was torn open on one end, and bolted up to my JLU without issue, except one of the LED's threaded body separated when snugging it up and became useless.

I emailed Roam several days ago and was asked if it arrived broken or broke during install. I told the truth that it broke when tightening it up, and the response was that he didn't have anymore and they were cheap to buy on Amazon. I said I only needed one not 10, and have yet to hear back even though the initial email exchange was responded to within minutes. I didn't do anything different when tightening the broken LED and the others, pretty sure it was compromised from the factory.

Good product kept from being great from the poor service.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
My Roam steps arrived unscathed even though the box was torn open on one end, and bolted up to my JLU without issue, except one of the LED's threaded body separated when snugging it up and became useless.

I emailed Roam several days ago and was asked if it arrived broken or broke during install. I told the truth that it broke when tightening it up, and the response was that he didn't have anymore and they were cheap to buy on Amazon. I said I only needed one not 10, and have yet to hear back even though the initial email exchange was responded to within minutes. I didn't do anything different when tightening the broken LED and the others, pretty sure it was compromised from the factory.

Good product kept from being great from the poor service.
If you need me to send you one i have plenty of extras.
PM me your address and i can send one out on Tuesday. The way these light are built they have a tendancy to do that. I did the same to two of the lights and initially thought it was the lights. I bought a set of 20 from Amazon(different brand) and replaced all of them with the Amazon set. Well, since i had plenty to experiment with i went and tightened one of them down the same way I did the first two that came with the steps and the same thing happened. I really didnt put a lot of force behind it, but the head just popped right off I now just tighten the bulb end by hand while keeping a wrench on the back.

Courtjester69

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk Sahara jl Rubicon
R.O.A.M. is by far best looking step for the JL. Easy install. Great build quality. I was missing a few screws. No biggie. Powder coat sucks. Scratches very easily. Came scratch in the box Brand new step I had to spray paint it. Going to have to get them Re powder coated. Or rhino line them. Wife still loves them.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered my set today which are backorderd ... My 8 year old (and shorter 12 year old) need some help getting in the back seat!

Quick question: the ROAM cut out that’s colored on some installs, are the colors “changeable” without uninstall/reinstall?

Thx.

Brew20MJO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Ocean Blue Metallic
Just ordered my set today which are backorderd ... My 8 year old (and shorter 12 year old) need some help getting in the back seat!

Quick question: the ROAM cut out that’s colored on some installs, are the colors “changeable” without uninstall/reinstall?

Thx.
The inserts come black that you bolt in. I have painted 1 side red and will be painting the other side blue so I can change it up every now and then. You can unbolt the insert plate without removing steps but it’s a tight fit for a wrench to turn it a few degrees at a time. I think a ratcheting wrench would work better and will try when I pull them off again to paint the other side.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My steps arrived Friday ... box is huge and it was well packaged.

I plan to install this weekend.

No install guide or part list included, so here’s my guess at where all the bolts and washers go.

C41384A4-A88B-4950-94B9-9B861033005D.jpeg

919E698F-6F3D-4526-801C-53206DEC6CB5.jpeg

Last edited:

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Picture of huge box w yard stick for reference.

7B6A11B0-B99B-4DE4-97F1-9D327BA66E3C.jpeg

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
Picture of huge box w yard stick for reference.

7B6A11B0-B99B-4DE4-97F1-9D327BA66E3C.jpeg
Wow, that box looks fairly banged up (not surprising considering the steps are 100 lbs). Was there any damage to them? I'm supposed to receive mine tomorrow. Nervous about what condition they'll be in.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No damage as they were very well wrapped / protected inside. A couple minor spots on powder coat were scratched / chipped that’ll need to be touched up but I don t believe that was from shipping.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that box looks fairly banged up (not surprising considering the steps are 100 lbs). Was there any damage to them? I'm supposed to receive mine tomorrow. Nervous about what condition they'll be in.
How’d they look when they arrived today?

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
Received mine today and mounted them up (sans lights for now - will tackle that project on a weekend; I predict lots of cursing, even though @TTEChris ‘s tutorial will be super helpful). Box arrived in really good shape and all parts were well packaged. There were a couple spots on the steps requiring touch up, but I think that had to come from pre-shipping handling, as the packaging really couldn’t have been done any better. No instructions like everyone else. Thank goodness for this thread, and also for @BWWJL ‘s handwritten bolt “key.” They look great and are really solid.

Like others though, mine didn’t come with nuts to attach the black plates behind the ROAM logo. Anyone know what size bolts/nuts those are? I couldn’t find a match in my bins of various random nuts.

688DE01E-9FFA-45B8-B4EE-5B7AA1429FED.jpeg

60ADCC60-8B24-4DEA-9F69-46148E20035B.jpeg

4A602E80-4366-4ACD-A6DE-39DC49CD2EE0.jpeg

33F80BF1-09BF-4DC5-AF27-18E204C69D85.jpeg

BBC7876C-BFC1-43DC-AD4E-E14952326C9F.jpeg

22414DBF-977F-452D-86BE-56BFC79F3C26.jpeg

Last edited:

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Received mine today and mounted them up (sans lights for now - will tackle that project on a weekend; I predict lots of cursing, even though @TTEChris ‘s tutorial will be super helpful). Box arrived in really good shape and all parts were well packaged. There were a couple spots on the steps requiring touch up, but I think that had to come from pre-shipping handling, as the packaging really couldn’t have been done any better. No instructions like everyone else. Thank goodness for this thread, and also for @BWWJL ‘s handwritten bolt “key.” They look great and are really solid.

Like others though, mine didn’t come with nuts to attach the black plates behind the ROAM logo. Anyone know what size bolts/nuts those are? I couldn’t find a match in my bins of various random nuts.

@SeanD and others,
Did you use any specific specs when torquing down the different bolts?
Thx.

jravin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2004 L J
Occupation
Director of IT

688DE01E-9FFA-45B8-B4EE-5B7AA1429FED.jpeg

60ADCC60-8B24-4DEA-9F69-46148E20035B.jpeg

4A602E80-4366-4ACD-A6DE-39DC49CD2EE0.jpeg

33F80BF1-09BF-4DC5-AF27-18E204C69D85.jpeg

BBC7876C-BFC1-43DC-AD4E-E14952326C9F.jpeg

I used the black 10MM nuts that I took off of the Rubi Rail when I removed it first. They fit perfectly.
Sponsored