Sponsored

ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.)

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
It certainly helps clarify. For me, then, back to the drawing board on tapping the circuit that the interior dome light are on, or something of the sort. Doesn’t look like it can be done from the fuse box either, as the only thing I could find on that was a circuit for “interior lights”.

Am I wrong to assume I’m the only one who’d like the rock slider lights to functionally operate like the dome light?
It can be confusing and there's not a lot of info on that approach because most folks use remotes/switches for rock lights. In the footwell, there are two different lights and two different wires, and that's why you have a courtesy light dial on your headlight control panel to control the courtesy lights. Correct on the fuse though because it's an mcase. In your footwell, the right light comes on when you fob click or open the doors; the left light is on (and is much dimmer) when the headlights are on, unless you dial that courtesy light dial all the way down. I'm about to wire up some Oracle rock lights under my sliders and some Oracle led strips in my footwells. I will tap both into the same footwell wire (yellow/brown I believe). You can check with Oracle Lights, Quadratec, etc. as well. I confirmed the rock light approach with Oracle after watching the install video of their Sidetrack light system.
Sponsored

wittyjeepusername

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
It can be confusing and there's not a lot of info on that approach because most folks use remotes/switches for rock lights. In the footwell, there are two different lights and two different wires, and that's why you have a courtesy light dial on your headlight control panel to control the courtesy lights. Correct on the fuse though because it's an mcase. In your footwell, the right light comes on when you fob click or open the doors; the left light is on (and is much dimmer) when the headlights are on, unless you dial that courtesy light dial all the way down. I'm about to wire up some Oracle rock lights under my sliders and some Oracle led strips in my footwells. I will tap both into the same footwell wire (yellow/brown I believe). You can check with Oracle Lights, Quadratec, etc. as well. I confirmed the rock light approach with Oracle after watching the install video of their Sidetrack light system.
Ahhhhh! I think I understand now. This is super helpful. So, in theory, most folks that have had success on this thread have likely tapped into that yellow and black (or some say yellow and brown) which i assume is tied to that light on the right that you are talking about and thus, they are getting the result i am desiring. That is, to get the rock rail light to come on as courtesy lights and ONLY get activated with the fob, and open / close of the doors, similar to the dome light. Is my assumption correct? I like having the dimmed lights on my feet while night driving and such, but do not want my rock lights on.

My second presumption would be then that, as an added benefit, you could manually turn the rock rail lights on by using the interior light control dial/dimmer and turning it into the "on" position which would turn the dome light on, along with the 'brightest setting' for the footwell lights. I am presuming that would be the 'right' light (of the two) that we tapped into for the rock rails and thus would also power the rock rails. Does that make sense? Does my thinking sound correct? My goal is to not have to tap into a bunch of factory wires/harnesses to "find out" that it didn't get the desired end result.

It sounds like you're on it, though! Would love to hear how yours turns out and see if you are in fact able to get the interior light on the "auto" setting and have the exterior rock lights only engaging with the Fob unlock or Door opening. Thanks for the insight!

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
Would love to hear how yours turns out and see if you are in fact able to get the interior light on the "auto" setting and have the exterior rock lights only engaging with the Fob unlock or Door opening. Thanks for the insight!
Completed. See here:
My Rock Lights Install
I did not wire up the footwell LEDs though. There really isn't a good spot to put the strip that hides them from visibility.

fatedtitan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Wrangler Sahara
I love these side steps, but reading through this thread makes me believe I'd never get the wiring done right.

Rubi Con ATL

First Name
Marci
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JL
We installed the Roam side steps 2 years ago and one of the bulbs is flashing. I looked through several of these threads and found a few alternatives on Amazon, but was curious to see if there is more feedback now on which replacement bulbs work best? Roam is not responding to my emails and I’m assuming they are no longer in business? Would love to have the option of changing colors, but at this point, I’m looking for the best quality LED’s so I don’t have to replace again in 2 years🙄

Sponsored

fatedtitan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Wrangler Sahara
Has ROAM shut down? Their site certificate hasn't been renewed, they say they're sold out, and they aren't responding to emails.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Has ROAM shut down? Their site certificate hasn't been renewed, they say they're sold out, and they aren't responding to emails.
Honestly with all the issues they have had, I don’t know why anyone would ever want any of their products even if they were still in business.

wittyjeepusername

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I don't think they've shut down. Their site just has expired certificates. They have a WordPress site and I am something of a techie... Happens all the time if you don't religiously manage your website. You can still navigate to the site. If you browse using Chrome, you have to click "advanced" then "proceed to site".

To that end, sounds like others have not had great experience with them, but I've LOVED my steps/rock guards! Still haven't installed the lights yet, cause... life... but... I think they look and function fantastic. Only thing i'd say is, get the frame mounted ones ;-)
Sponsored

Last edited: