psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
Those roam steps are very easy install and good looking! They sent me the instructions through email, but went to spam. Found several links here for wiring up the lights, cost me 3 hours to finish the lights.
I forgot to mention about the lights. I decided that I didn't want to do the lights, so I never mounted them and will probably use them for another project on another vehicle (maybe the RV). So my 1 hour install time does not include any part of the light install. I was concerned that I might have to install the lights or it would look like something was missing, but that wasn't the case. It is fine to leave them off if you desire. One other comment about the steps is that they are very good at providing traction for your foot, almost too good. I was worried that they may be slippery when wet, but they are nothing of the sort.
Sponsored

maxjlu

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
I forgot to mention about the lights. I decided that I didn't want to do the lights, so I never mounted them and will probably use them for another project on another vehicle (maybe the RV). So my 1 hour install time does not include any part of the light install. I was concerned that I might have to install the lights or it would look like something was missing, but that wasn't the case. It is fine to leave them off if you desire. One other comment about the steps is that they are very good at providing traction for your foot, almost too good. I was worried that they may be slippery when wet, but they are nothing of the sort.
1 hour! That's fast!! Do you have pics of them?

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
1 hour! That's fast!! Do you have pics of them?
Yeah, I was prepared for a bigger job and needing another hand. My hour estimate doesn't include putting the tools away or bringing them out or unpackaging. I did have all my tools set up before I started the job and I do have a set of ratcheting wrenches which made the bolts on the pinch seam much easier. I also used my cordless 3/8s impact where i could, but only to remove the stock ones and take up some threads on the install. I finished tightening by hand. I also did both sides at the same time so that I didn't have to change sockets over as much. I had laid moving blankets under both sides, so I was nice comfy, and we had perfect weather for the job, so I didn't even break a sweat. It's only like 30 bolts altogether to install. Maybe it took me a little longer than an hour, but after reading all the posts, I was expecting a much harder and longer job, so when I was done, I was pleasantly surprised. I do not have pictures of the install, just the finished product.

IMG_20191215_165607_MP.jpg

maxjlu

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
Yeah, I was prepared for a bigger job and needing another hand. My hour estimate doesn't include putting the tools away or bringing them out or unpackaging. I did have all my tools set up before I started the job and I do have a set of ratcheting wrenches which made the bolts on the pinch seam much easier. I also used my cordless 3/8s impact where i could, but only to remove the stock ones and take up some threads on the install. I finished tightening by hand. I also did both sides at the same time so that I didn't have to change sockets over as much. I had laid moving blankets under both sides, so I was nice comfy, and we had perfect weather for the job, so I didn't even break a sweat. It's only like 30 bolts altogether to install. Maybe it took me a little longer than an hour, but after reading all the posts, I was expecting a much harder and longer job, so when I was done, I was pleasantly surprised. I do not have pictures of the install, just the finished product.

IMG_20191215_165607_MP.jpg
Looks great! Very useful information, thanks for sharing!

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
If anyone's running non-rubicon flares with factory mud flaps these rails do fit just fine. I'm running the line-x coated pinch mounted rails. Very happy with the product. Anthony from Roam was great to work with. Everything showed up perfect. I would highly recommend these rails. The rails were also "tested" out about a week after installing them when some jackass in his BMW parked next to me and proceeded to throw open his door as wide as possible. I watched his door bounce off the rail. Jeep: 1 BMW: 0. No scuffs or anything on the rails but I'm sure that dude's door is messed up.

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

Sponsored

maxjlu

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
If anyone's running non-rubicon flares with factory mud flaps these rails do fit just fine. I'm running the line-x coated pinch mounted rails. Very happy with the product. Anthony from Roam was great to work with. Everything showed up perfect. I would highly recommend these rails. The rails were also "tested" out about a week after installing them when some jackass in his BMW parked next to me and proceeded to throw open his door as wide as possible. I watched his door bounce off the rail. Jeep: 1 BMW: 0. No scuffs or anything on the rails but I'm sure that dude's door is messed up.

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg
Love those lights! Looks amazing!

Truax

First Name
Brennen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have been running the first version of the steps for a while now, and just got the frame mounted sliders. You can see the difference in the new e coating and the powder coating on the older steps, they are a little more glossy. Can't wait to go smash some rocks with these
20200301_100605.jpg
20200301_100525.jpg
20200301_102207.jpg
20200305_182440.jpg
20200305_182425.jpg
20200305_182431.jpg

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys sorry to revive an old thread but I’m looking at the Roam body mounted steps with the linex coating. In your experience how has the body mounted steps help up? Anyone actual used them for protection yet? I don’t off road much (more of a mall crawler) but want a solid product that can perform if needed and I love the look of the Roams. The frame mounted and Lods are a little out of my budget and probably not needed since I don’t do a lot of heavy off roasting, but I might in the future. Anyhow I appreciate anyone’s feed back or advice.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Hey guys sorry to revive an old thread but I’m looking at the Roam body mounted steps with the linex coating. In your experience how has the body mounted steps help up? Anyone actual used them for protection yet? I don’t off road much (more of a mall crawler) but want a solid product that can perform if needed and I love the look of the Roams. The frame mounted and Lods are a little out of my budget and probably not needed since I don’t do a lot of heavy off roasting, but I might in the future. Anyhow I appreciate anyone’s feed back or advice.
I have the body mounted ones from Roam and I have beat them. They have held up well and protect the Jeep well. I have had to touch them up many times from dragging them along rocks and such in places like Moab, Windrock, Colorado, and at home in Michigan.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No experience on hitting rocks, but my powder coating is really poor and mine are rusting pretty badly. I’m in Chicago and snow/salt could accelerate the rust.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I have the frame mounted line-x ones. They have taken a beating. The passenger side one has a little bow/dent in it. And that is where all my problems are, the line-x split along the hard edge, like a seam in pants. I routinely hit it with "truck bed spray paint" and usually that holds for a bit of time. But the whole line-x coat feels like its not really adhered to the rail, you can feel air pockets between the line-x and the metal. This is all on the side that took the hit only.

Besides that, the screws that hold the back plate of their logo in are rusted to hell.

I don't feel like these are the "forever option" I was looking for. Note, they haven't even been on the Jeep a year yet. But I do like rock courses, and they did their job protecting the body, so I guess maybe I need to consider them a wearable item.
Sponsored