Right tires for my setup

LiVinIt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport S
Suffering from a severe case at analysis paralysis here.
I’m getting close to doing the planned modifications to my 22 Sport S. Just waiting on a couple free weekends.
Here is what I have going;

Clayton Overland Plus 1.5 inch lift. Per Clayton this should give me approximately 2 to 2.5” front and approximately 2” rear.

Rubicon takeoff D44 lockers. There’s are 1.5” wider than stock so it pushes the wheel out 3/4” on each corner.

AEV Salta wheels. These are +25mm offset and 5.72” backspacing. These are approximately 3/4” more offset than stock, and the same as the XR wheels.

Rubicon XR takeoff fenders. They will add app 1.5” additional wheel clearance in height and have the add on extension.

So my question is what tires to go with. The XR’s run 315/70R17’s but I heard the XR’s have limited travel due to bump stop limitations. Is this because it will rub with better travel? My setup will be exactly what the XR’s have concerning offset, clearance to fenders and hopefully amount of lift.

I can do 285/75R17 which are only approx 1/2” less diameter but a little over an inch less width than the 315’s

I’d like to do the 315’d but don’t want any rubbing with articulation. Is this even a concern?
Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
First off... read some of the advice listed on the forum, even this thread, and then just pick one and go with it. Otherwise you'll end up overanalyzing again.

The XR has issues with bump stops due to not being a full lift like you are going to with the Clayton. You can run the 315's just fine and have minimal issues. If you are not doing much rock crawling just stick with KO2's since you are in FL. They'll be just fine there.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Some XR have issues with travel, some dont. It is not necessarily because their bump stop extensions are so long but because their front sags too much for whatever reason. Pair that with bump stop extensions and you get very little travel

With your clayton lift you wont have any issues with travel.

You are gonna get more than 2inches. Youll get about 3.5inches. Because the clayton lifts a rubicon by 1.5 to 2 inches, and the rubicon is 1.5inches taller than your sport.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The XR has longer bump stops from the factory as a liability issue due to crash/rollover standards. The OEM has more liability exposure as opposed to a lift kit, which comes with all the legal warnings, etc. You will be good going with 315s with your proposed setup.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The XR has longer bump stops from the factory as a liability issue due to crash/rollover standards. The OEM has more liability exposure as opposed to a lift kit, which comes with all the legal warnings, etc. You will be good going with 315s with your proposed setup.
Rubicon on 35s do slightly rub the fenders when fully articulated in certain situations. Running at least 1inch bumpstop extension is recommended when running 35s on a rubicon

Sponsored

OP
OP

LiVinIt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport S
Rubicon on 35s do slightly rub the fenders when fully articulated in certain situations. Running at least 1inch bumpstop extension is recommended when running 35s on a rubicon
The lift does come with extension but I’m not sure on the height.

Thanks for all the replies, looks like the 315’s will be the choice.
I’m in Fl, so no rock crawling. I’ll be in the mountains near Blueridge once a year but I’ve yet to experience off road conditions up there yet.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Sounds like a great setup.

Get some stackable bump stops like what Metalcloak offers and then you can decide what you need after you get the chance to flex it out. I have the same size tires, but less backspacing and run 2” bump stop in the rear and 3” up front.

Could probably do 2” up front as I have a lot of room still, but read somewhere with MC’s outboard shock mounts you need at least 3” to prevent bottoming out The rocksport shocks… not sure how true that is, but will work until I get around to doing some measuring.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The lift does come with extension but I’m not sure on the height.

Thanks for all the replies, looks like the 315’s will be the choice.
I’m in Fl, so no rock crawling. I’ll be in the mountains near Blueridge once a year but I’ve yet to experience off road conditions up there yet.
The 285s will ride better especially if you leave the stock gear. It will also give you better MPG and theyre plenty capable.

315s will look better and will perform better on challenging trails. at the cost of street performance

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I’ve got a nonXR rubi and have added about 150 lbs to the front (dual arb, winch, winchnplate).

With 315s I just barely rub under full articulation and wheel turn. It’s so little I will not address it at all.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I’ve got a nonXR rubi and have added about 150 lbs to the front (dual arb, winch, winchnplate).

With 315s I just barely rub under full articulation and wheel turn. It’s so little I will not address it at all.
I mean adding weight to the front might make it sag a bit but it doesnt affect rubbing thats decided by bumpstops. Yeah the rubbing is minimal is what people tend to say.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar setup on my Sahara. Clayton 1.5 spring lift + added 0.5" Teraflex spacers on all 4 springs. I run a similar offset tire - 17x8 +30 which when converted for 17x8.5 comes to the same backspace as yours. I have the teraflex longer bumpstops on the front (that comes with their ST1 1.5 spacer lift)

I currently run 315/70/17 and have Apex Autolynx swaybar disconnect system. At full flex, the 315s will be fine esp if you have the wider D44 axles from the rubicon. I had a very slight rub on LCA at full lock, I upgraded to J-Flex LCAs that had a more pronounced inward bend, which solved the problem. You are on the right track in choosing 35s for your setup. You will love it.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@LiVinIt feel free to take a look at my build thread in my signature to see more details on the wheel and tire clearance for Sport/Sahara on a 1.5-2" lift.

OP
OP

LiVinIt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport S
Forgot to add I’m going to be running Fox 2.0 shocks for 2-3” lift as recommended by Clayton.
The Autolynx disconnects are the only part I have left to order. I toyed with the idea of a Rubi takeoff and the manual conversion but the Apex seems like the most cost effective way to go for ease of use.

Clayton recommends 4.75 backspacing compared to my 5.7, which is what started my concern, but then I realized I’m running the exact setup as the XR, and got me thinking. I wonder if the Clayton control arms have less clearance than stock? I’ll have to give them a call.

The reason for these wheels versus less backspacing/more offset was to reduce tire poke as much as possible, while still allowing a decent tire size.

Sounds like I’ll be good with the larger tire, thanks again for all the help.

OP
OP

LiVinIt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sport S
Apparently I’m mistaken on the offset of stock XR wheels. I swear I read that they were +25 but apparently they are +12. So I will have a little less than 1/2” less outward offset.
Sponsored