Sponsored

My snow setup

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I remember back in the mid 60’s in Bavaria I had a 68vw bug. Put four snow tires on it and it would go anywhere I wanted. We used to get a lot of snow in that area. It was fun just to go play. Don’t know now but then you had to have snow tires on all four. Logic being, you can’t turn the front with traction only on the rear. It was a lot of fun.
My mother had one in the early 80s. That thing was a tank! Went through everything.
Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
How do you guys feel about the base highway tires (Michelin) in the winter?

I bought a Sport that came with them and the steel wheels. I bought another pair of rims and tires from a fellow forum member that don't have the best Winter ratings, so I've considered using the Michelins in winter and let the steel rims deal with the salt.

Most of my driving is on flat highway (11 mile commute), city streets, and a few city hills in Milwaukee.

I have used winter tires on past vehicles... but not sure its really necessary.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Most of my driving is on flat highway (11 mile commute), city streets, and a few city hills in Milwaukee.

I have used winter tires on past vehicles... but not sure its really necessary.
In that environment they aren't really necessary If you understand their limitations and take it slow. Slim chance you'll get outright stuck with them on a JL. But if you need to make one emergency stop or swerve they could be a very expensive choice.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
I am from Edmonton Alberta, this year I finally decided on a set of 35inch Nokian Hakkapeliitta Lt3 studded. I was on KO2 for a year, and than Duratrac another year. However after my trip to banff mountains last winter there is no way I will drive out there again without a set of real winter tires. I know a few guys here have the Rotiiva AT. And they said they are similar to KO2 or worst. But each to their own and very depends on your driving condition.

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I am from Edmonton Alberta, this year I finally decided on a set of 35inch Nokian Hakkapeliitta Lt3 studded. I was on KO2 for a year, and than Duratrac another year. However after my trip to banff mountains last winter there is no way I will drive out there again without a set of real winter tires. I know a few guys here have the Rotiiva AT. And they said they are similar to KO2 or worst. But each to their own and very depends on your driving condition.
Did you go with the stock tire width or did you get a narrower tire?

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Did you go with the stock tire width or did you get a narrower tire?
I have the 35 inch instead of stock 33. 315/70/17 is what I have. And so far after some freezing rain and snow driving. This is the real deal. My buddy with Duratrac can't even go over 20km/h 4H on the same road which I can go at normal speed and brake fine.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.
A good amount of that additional traction would come from having the studs on the tire. I'm pretty sure I can't run studded tires in Ottawa.

I have the 35 inch instead of stock 33. 315/70/17 is what I have. And so far after some freezing rain and snow driving. This is the real deal. My buddy with Duratrac can't even go over 20km/h 4H on the same road which I can go at normal speed and brake fine.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Yea, Stud helps.
My wife runs the non studded version on her Outback and the rest of my family all runs Nokian non studded lol.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Stud(ies) actually show studs do not help, in almost all winter conditions. Even relative to ice, studs only "bite" in a very narrow temperature range, making them a detriment in almost all winter driving conditions.
Sponsored

Last edited: