Sponsored

Replace Stabilizer? Did it fix your loose/wandering steering?

suchacrisis

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado
The dealer is saying Jeep has a recall out to replace my stabilizer for all of my steering issues.

Has this been the case for those of you who had their stabilizer replaced? I am worried this will fix the death wobble, but not the loose steering and/or wandering issues.
Sponsored

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
My wobble has not appeared since the stabilizer was replaced. Since I went with the Falcon Nexus 2.2 on firm setting steering is marginally better. That said return to center still sucks and handling on the highway is no better. If you have wobble and poor handling I hate to say this but you have more issues than just the stabilizer. Further I believe that certain Jeeps have geometry issues, the stabilizer prevents wobble through shear force, it is being caused by something else. Just my .02.

Chewi

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Had mine replaced by the dealer. Still got death wobble like a MF!!! They put an aftermarket one on approved by FCA since the mopar one is on back order. They told me it’s drivable until the mopar one comes in. Yeah no!! I can’t drive it all.

I definitely agree that there’s something else going on! If the mopar one is a stiffer one it’s only gonna mask the problem Temporarily.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Fyi in case it’s a geometry issue I have a 2dr sport with hard top.

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I think your concern is valid. The stabilizers seem to be back ordered so time will tell. I’m contemplating adding the falcon 2.1 stabilizer as my dealer is selling them for $200. Non adjustable.

Sponsored

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I got a star case being opened. I wonder if I can get them to give me a falcon one since the last one didn’t work

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I got a star case being opened. I wonder if I can get them to give me a falcon one since the last one didn’t work
Let me know what you find out. I asked Jeep cares and they didn’t seem like it was possible, but someone else on this forum ( @Chewbacca2264 ) said he was able to get reimbursed by dealer.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I got a message from jeepcares on Monday that a case manager would be calling within 2 business days. Still waiting to hear. A falcon stabilizer would be nice but I think even with that I’m still gonna have problems. It’s now doing it anytime over 50. It’s just slowly getting worse and worse

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Let me know what you find out. I asked Jeep cares and they didn’t seem like it was possible, but someone else on this forum ( @Chewbacca2264 ) said he was able to get reimbursed by dealer.
I was told that my dealership would reimburse me after the district manager ok'd it. I submitted the receipt and have not heard back in the six weeks since. I have my next step in the "fix the 46k JL" planned for a week from today, once I see how that goes I will check with the dealer and see where things stand.

Chewi

DIRKS

First Name
David Beischer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
The dealer is saying Jeep has a recall out to replace my stabilizer for all of my steering issues.

Has this been the case for those of you who had their stabilizer replaced? I am worried this will fix the death wobble, but not the loose steering and/or wandering issues.
The short answer- No, It did not fix the wandering for me.

You might consider contacting Jeep cares and opening a proactive case right away. I waited for my stabilizer to arrive before trying to open a case and it took about 4 days to finally get JC engaged. The escalation manager finally made contact with me after the dealer had already replaced the dampener- which did absolutely nothing to resolve the wandering.

My 3rd appointment was this morning - and I expect to hear from Jeep Cares by Monday with some bit of a status report.

Sponsored

OP
OP

suchacrisis

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado
The short answer- No, It did not fix the wandering for me.

You might consider contacting Jeep cares and opening a proactive case right away. I waited for my stabilizer to arrive before trying to open a case and it took about 4 days to finally get JC engaged. The escalation manager finally made contact with me after the dealer had already replaced the dampener- which did absolutely nothing to resolve the wandering.

My 3rd appointment was this morning - and I expect to hear from Jeep Cares by Monday with some bit of a status report.
I contacted Jeep Cares in the beginning, who then had them do the TCM flash which didn't work. I waited a few months and went back on my own hoping Jeep finally had a recall/fix out and the tech told me the stabilizer had a recall and it should fix my issues.

I guess I can contact JC again after this probably doesn't fix it? This has been ridiculous honestly.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I haven't had the "death wobble", in my JL, but have had it in other vehicles many moons ago. In those vehicles, it was always something worn out in the front end. In VWs it was usually king pins that needed changing. In other types it was ball joints or steering ends. In an old Ford double I-beam frontend, it was a steering idler arm bushing. My money is on something allowing movement in the steering. I think super stiff steering stabilizers are a band-aid.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Mines on fourth dampener already .Sitting at Dealer waiting on other one.sent a email to head of fca.Got email back from a mike Macdonald looking into it .Its getting old .Mine had some wobble before mopar lift.And still has it
I have a feeling my jeeps gonna go through them like crazy until they find out what is actually causing the problem. Still waiting on Jeep care to get back to me about expediting the part. So far stock on and aftermarket one the dealer used are no good.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
They are telling me the need to replace my stabilizer too. Sahara with 17k. If putting a firmer stabilizer only masks the problem, wouldnt that mean it will be putting more stress on the part that is actually causing the issue? Maybe making the problem even worse in the end?
Sponsored