Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Haven't actually torqued things to spec, but will certainly do so. Thanks! 😎👍🏻
Worn control arm bushings will clunk even if they are torqued to spec. Mine did. Just saying you must pull the bolt, drop the arm check to see if the bushing is "wallered" a bit. Should be no play in it.
Sponsored

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Have someone get in the rear area and drive around, they might be able to get a better directional sense of the issue.

Another option is to grab some of those magnetic mini cameras and throw a couple under the rear and record what's going on.

OP
OP
VIJeepGuy

VIJeepGuy

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Worn control arm bushings will clunk even if they are torqued to spec. Mine did. Just saying you must pull the bolt, drop the arm check to see if the bushing is "wallered" a bit. Should be no play in it.
Thank you. It's actually a noticeable rattle going over rough city streets. Almost like a bottoming out sound but rattling, if that makes sense. 😎👍🏻

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Help, I'm out of ideas. I have a crazy loud and worrisome rattle coming from rear passenger of my 2018 jlu. It's happening when driving on rough roads or over bumps. Sounds like something is bottoming out. Can't duplicate it bouncing. Had a look at the sway bar, links, control arms and all seem tight. Have a mopar lift with Fox shocks, purchased that way. Any ideas or insight is appreciated. Driving me mad!
I had the same type of noise, it ended up being in the door. I take them off it’s gone…. I haven’t looked into what exactly it is yet, but knowing where it’s coming from has eased my enthusiasm……lol…

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
Check your tailgate. I had a loud clunk coming from the rear and it turned out to be the tailgate. I tried this fix and it worked.

Sponsored

OP
OP
VIJeepGuy

VIJeepGuy

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Check your tailgate. I had a loud clunk coming from the rear and it turned out to be the tailgate. I tried this fix and it worked.

Yes thanks. I actually tried that several times. No luck. 🤷‍♂️

C2D2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I had a random plastic piece that was in the tailgate upon delivery. Pretty obvious when you shook the door back and forth. I’m guessing you tried that too?

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link

holy crap, I had a JK that did this for a year, I never found the issue before I sold it. This has to be what it was lol (I didn't sell it because of the noise)

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
You may try looking into it possibly being inside the rear top of the hard top. There are quite a few owners that have had some internal wiring harness that come loose inside the top itself and only clunks/rattles when over bumps. Most thought it was from under rear vehicle too. Just a thought.

ForgottenTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Sarge Green JLU Willys
I have the same issue when i eat Taco Bell. Oh wait. Sorry. Wrong rear end.

Sponsored

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR in Hydro Blue, 2004 Lexus GX470
I'm surprised nobody has brought it up. Have you eliminated the possibility of a bad shock? it would certainly cause a bottoming out while driving but wouldn't be nearly as noticeable just jumping on the rear end.

OP
OP
VIJeepGuy

VIJeepGuy

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I had a random plastic piece that was in the tailgate upon delivery. Pretty obvious when you shook the door back and forth. I’m guessing you tried that too?
Sure have! Even took off the panel to have a look. It's like a clicking sound going over bumps. Definitely rear passenger.
Sponsored