Random Service Axle Locker System

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
My last car was a Lexus IS 250 ... and I'm seriously missing the idea of dropping it off, getting a coffee from their lounge, and then driving away at most a couple hours later... Super bummed.

Agreed. I traded in a BMW X5 for the Rubicon. While the Rubicon is much more fun to drive, I am not happy I had the "axles locked" status being reported in 2H with less than 50 miles on it. First dealer I had an appt with turned me away because it was a Friday and said "they never do diagnostics on a Friday" WTF -- complaints to the GM went unanswered. Took to a second dealer who was much more accommodating and even got me a loaner/rental (though I had to pick up and return off site) but simply performed a reset of the computer to clear the status and said they had never heard of the axle locker sensor problems discussed extensively on this forum and elsewhere. Didn't have any service issues with the BMW in 70K miles, but if I did at least they did have coffee and snacks in the waiting room...
Sponsored

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 1996 toyota4runner
For those of you having the the service locker message and those of you worried you might get it I would read this thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

I did mine a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't that bad. Jeep/ Dana aren't addressing the issue so you might as well.
Pretty pathetic considering people are paying 60k for these rigs and having to pull shit apart and play mr gadget with potting sensors lol

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Pretty pathetic considering people are paying 60k for these rigs and having to pull shit apart and play mr gadget with potting sensors lol
I completely agree.. I had my JKUR for 10 years and had a couple of recalls but not near the issues I've had with my JLUR. I still love having it but newer isn't always better. And Jeep needs to step up their game when dealing with these issues.

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Anybody else have an issue with "Service Axle Locker System" warning coming on then off after a few seconds?

Mostly happens while off-roading of uneven terrain, but lately it shows up sometimes in 2Hi when staring out on streets.

Took it to the dealer and they cleared the stored codes and went through the checklist, but didn't solve the issue. I'm taking it back next week but i'm not hopeful they will find it :(
If I could reliably reproduce the issue maybe they could dig in deeper.

Anybody know of any service bulletins that might relate this this?

20190805_180104-jpg.jpg
Mine did the same thing today, i checked the locker acuator plugs on fron diff and found 1 loose, the lock clip was not fully seated!! Light went awat

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It's a sensor inside your axle. Not sealed properly and it gets filled with gear oil. Currently the only "fix" is an axle replacement under warranty. If you're out of warranty, you can also get a Z Automotive Axle axle bypass cable for about $180 (per axle) that will enable you to use your lockers (although it sounds like that isn't an issue for you)
You cannot purchase the sensor alone. Nor can your mechanic or dealer.

There is a great fix if the sensor hasn't already failed (like yours) so you might be able to save your other axle if it isn't messed up.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

Otherwise, get it into dealer.

Good luck.

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
The only mechanism that I've seen suggested is that it's caused by fine metal particles in the gear oil acting as a conductor.

Btibnd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I got the "Service Axle Locker System" error light to pop up early this week. Sent a message to the service advisor I usually work with (Central Iowa) and he responded back almost instantly "needs a new rear axel". Was told one month for the part but based on discussions here, looks like it will likely be longer...

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
I got the "Service Axle Locker System" error light to pop up early this week. Sent a message to the service advisor I usually work with (Central Iowa) and he responded back almost instantly "needs a new rear axel". Was told one month for the part but based on discussions here, looks like it will likely be longer...
I just had the sensor replaced. Not whole axel

ALK

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
I just had the sensor replaced. Not whole axel
Because they revised the replacement procedures since this thread was last commented on 6 months ago.

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because they revised the replacement procedures since this thread was last commented on 6 months ago.
I figured...just thought I'd say something incase if happens to someone else

Reactions: ALK

tourguide337

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This thread has been helpful! I have the same issue with a somewhat random "Service Acle Locker System" light. Sometimes it happens every few minutes, other times it will go days without lighting up.

Has anyone figured out how to reproduce the issue?

The dealer replaced a sensor saying it was bad, but it did not fix the issue. It is time for round 2, hopefully it gets fixed this time. They have started to ask to reproduce it, so wish me luck! :fingerscrossed:

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread has been helpful! I have the same issue with a somewhat random "Service Acle Locker System" light. Sometimes it happens every few minutes, other times it will go days without lighting up.

The dealer replaced a sensor saying it was bad, but it did not fix the issue. It is time for round 2, hopefully it gets fixed this time. They have started to ask to reproduce it, so wish me luck! :fingerscrossed:
I had my sensor replaced and it still does it...but less. Seems like it does it at stop lights that are on an upward incline

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hi, tourguide337. If you need our support at any upcoming dealership appointments for this, let us know!

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored