Sponsored

Quieter muffler delete

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'm new to exhaust mods and like the high clearance/price of the dynomax muffler delete, but dont want it quite as loud as the videos I've seen. Can you add an inexpensive quiet resonator to the dynomax without having to weld? Thanks
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
ChattVol, I'd say just get it, I love mine, but rather than that I'd go ahead and just remove your current muffler and see what you think about the added volume (and all the extra room you'll have!). Just remove the 2 hanger bolts on each side and the large pipe clamp going to the resonator section, takes about 10 minutes (if you don't have rust buildup). Just be sure to drive it around rather than idling in one place too long since the exhaust will be under the floor boards now.

To be honest the sound isn't much more until you get on it, around town just cruising, or on the highway running 75 you really won't notice much, but put your foot in it and it comes to life. I like the extra volume, nice to hear what your motor is doing when you're blasting around :)

When you go w/ the Dynomax the sound should be a bit more subdued, but w/ just the muffler removed you'll get the idea, only takes a few minutes and won't cost you a dime, then you can decide what to do.

Oh, and don't bother trying to slide the muffler off the hangers, just remove those 4 bolts, much easier!

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
ChattVol, I'd say just get it, I love mine, but rather than that I'd go ahead and just remove your current muffler and see what you think about the added volume (and all the extra room you'll have!). Just remove the 2 hanger bolts on each side and the large pipe clamp going to the resonator section, takes about 10 minutes (if you don't have rust buildup). Just be sure to drive it around rather than idling in one place too long since the exhaust will be under the floor boards now.

To be honest the sound isn't much more until you get on it, around town just cruising, or on the highway running 75 you really won't notice much, but put your foot in it and it comes to life. I like the extra volume, nice to hear what your motor is doing when you're blasting around :)

When you go w/ the Dynomax the sound should be a bit more subdued, but w/ just the muffler removed you'll get the idea, only takes a few minutes and won't cost you a dime, then you can decide what to do.

Oh, and don't bother trying to slide the muffler off the hangers, just remove those 4 bolts, much easier!
Thanks for the info. I've watched several youtube's with the muffler delete and it sounds noticeably louder during a cold engine start. Our garage situation is unique bc we have an apartment directly above the garage and I leave for work early in the morning and don't want to wake up guests starting the jeep. I read where some jeepers are adding a $50 vibrant quiet resonator right after the stock resonator to make it quieter and wanted to know if this can be added without the added expense of having the vibrant resonator welded. Here's the vibrant resonator:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E3VHVO/ref=cm_cr_srp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Like I mentioned, I'd just remove it and see if the volume is something you (and your neighbors) can handle. Those youtube clips are hard to judge the real tone & volume. And if you find it's within your range of toleration (I think it would be), you can go from there. You could also add a resonated exhaust tip to the Dynomax, just need to cut it back to the straight section and add something like this (might need a short flex section or have it welded w/ a custom bend)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Fire-Bal...AOSwRfxcCHLW:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!88201!US!-1

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...der=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0&oversion=809d5419

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
To actually answer your question, no. You wont be able to add it without welding. Getting it welded in though should not be more than $50-$75 if you take it to a local shop. I have one here locally that I asked something similar and he said $20 if I paid cash lol
Thanks for answering the question...what exhaust are you running?

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Like I mentioned, I'd just remove it and see if the volume is something you (and your neighbors) can handle. Those youtube clips are hard to judge the real tone & volume. And if you find it's within your range of toleration (I think it would be), you can go from there. You could also add a resonated exhaust tip to the Dynomax, just need to cut it back to the straight section and add something like this (might need a short flex section or have it welded w/ a custom bend)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Fire-Bal...AOSwRfxcCHLW:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!88201!US!-1

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...der=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0&oversion=809d5419
:headbang:

HotKarlTheJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks for answering the question...what exhaust are you running?
Still stock for now, because Im in a similar situation where I want the rear muffler gone for clearance sake, but I do not want it loud. While the other person was correct that the youtube videos and what not don't do a good job of portraying the noise, I have heard a few in person and still want quieter. Other things on my list currently are more important so it's been moved towards the bottom of the list

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Still stock for now, because Im in a similar situation where I want the rear muffler gone for clearance sake, but I do not want it loud. While the other person was correct that the youtube videos and what not don't do a good job of portraying the noise, I have heard a few in person and still want quieter. Other things on my list currently are more important so it's been moved towards the bottom of the list
I hear ya...a good friend said it is a little loud at cold start and he owns an offroad shop that has installed several exhausts on the JL.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Might not be too expensive to add that mid resonator that you posted then have a shop just run SS tubing from the resonator out the back wherever you'd want it to exit rather than using the Dynomax at all.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Just suck it up and get the @DynoMax Exhaust muffler delete already :bandit:

It's inexpensive enough that if your tennants complain you can remove it and pass it along to someone else(we could use another one for my wife's Jeep) or weld in another resonator after the factory one.

Ed cole

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlu
Just adding to the old posts. I did the muffler delete and sound is annoying. Get on it it sounds like zipper. Thinking about going back stock but really like the clearance. Like to find a small narrow muffler to go behind the resonator. Any idea. Thx

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just adding to the old posts. I did the muffler delete and sound is annoying. Get on it it sounds like zipper. Thinking about going back stock but really like the clearance. Like to find a small narrow muffler to go behind the resonator. Any idea. Thx
57090BF4-5190-490C-AAED-6B6257B9D62A.jpeg

0383D2E2-5A89-49D6-9C41-BF9C562C544E.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation