Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I stand corrected. I also have the pleasure of living in snow country that requires me to stop every few miles and get out a spatula to clear out my snow packed non-heated LED headlights.
And you didn’t know this would be a problem with the LED headlight? If you live in snow country I would think this would be well known.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Latest pictures from mine, I was delayed because I had to make a design change since it turns out there is a lip/bar inside the vents on the side closer to the interior that interfered with my "ramps". As of now I am very happy with the results, there are just two things I am looking to resolve before printing these for other people (both related to my printer/the design):

- I ordered a new spring steel build plate because my current one has a few minor lumps/creases in it that show up slightly in the prints sometimes (should be here this week)

- I am going to modify the design a bit to have the ends of the two side covers interlock under the center cover to prevent that little lip you can see between the left cover and the center cover in the picture below. That lip is also caused by said build plate issues which I am resolving though, so this is more just to make the design a bit more "compliant" with any tolerance issues.

All of that being said, I cannot see the covers from a regular driving position and even when I actively look for them, they don't stick out as a "not stock" which was my main goal. The air definitely gets spread to the sides a lot more and seems to be pretty even to me. I would really like to test these in the cold/snow, but for some reason it's going to be 40+ in New England for this whole week....

1606919944853.png
1606919729263.png

1606920541018.png
I live in Southern Arizona and would be interested in this. I was to going to go rent a 3D white light scanner and try to scan the inner opening and then use Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and design a three-piece vane system to direct the air in a balanced way, but this may be a far simpler solution.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@iblowatsports

The defrost vent doesn't blow. ;) Sign me up for your 3D project when it comes to market. Thanks.

FoxyJeeper

First Name
Foxyjeeper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
How’s the fit? These say 5/8 but I have also been told in this thread that 1/2 is correct.
They fit perfectly. Almost like they were made for the task. I had to press them into the vent slots and would need to pry a little to get them out.

Sponsored

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Still working on this project?
Our prototype/alpha is currently being tested. This unit allows blockage of the center front windshield defroster in two separate adjustment points via a slider. From fully open, and increments to full close. More to come on the JLMaxDefrost3000..... 😃

Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 20210117_112613
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 20210117_112557
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 20210117_112604

Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 20210117_112733

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Our prototype/alpha is currently being tested. This unit allows blockage of the center front windshield defroster in two separate adjustment points via a slider. From fully open, and increments to full close. More to come on the JLMaxDefrost3000..... 😃

Very interesting....Would be happy be a tester and purchaser.

rocklobster

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray,Rubicon,Manual,1974 Jensen Interceptor.previously 2007 Steel blue JKU,2010 Stone white JKU,2013 JKU Rock Lobster,Sahara,

Interesting..I have the "square tubing caps" installed currently...not really had weather that has allowed me to test if they divert or simply block the hot air, I have left a few open around the middle also to allow the centre to get some air but not sure if that is just forcing it all through a more narrow opening in the centre and not "diverting" to the sides!.. time will tell, but very interested in your testing results, REALLY don't know how Jeep tested the JL for "millions of miles" and never saw the ice build up on the sides of the windshield and wipers and think, "maybe we need to put hot air vents there " would also like to see a heated band across the bottom of the windshield to heat the wiper blades that many much more simple cars have... 4 years of production and this has not been addressed!..
🥶

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I've seen what everyone else has tried and I think it time to share what I came up with. I have designed a very simple vent block in a short modular design. The parts are 3D printed in PETG and click-in across 8 vent holes. I have been testing different hole sizes, but it varies a lot depending on how strong the fan is blowing. When I confirm that the designs work, I'll upload the model to Thingiverse so others can try it too. So far, the best test uses 5-7 of these strips starting with 6mm holes for the middle 3 and moving to 8mm and then 10mm towards the edge. I have found that restricting the air flow across the whole dash works well on high, but I have not done long-term testing yet. The part do not signigicantly change the blower noise and they are easily remove

Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost PXL_20210123_182603735
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost PXL_20210124_005218390
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost Screenshot 2021-01-23 203053

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I've seen what everyone else has tried and I think it time to share what I came up with. I have designed a very simple vent block in a short modular design. The parts are 3D printed in PETG and click-in across 8 vent holes. I have been testing different hole sizes, but it varies a lot depending on how strong the fan is blowing. When I confirm that the designs work, I'll upload the model to Thingiverse so others can try it too. So far, the best test uses 5-7 of these strips starting with 6mm holes for the middle 3 and moving to 8mm and then 10mm towards the edge. I have found that restricting the air flow across the whole dash works well on high, but I have not done long-term testing yet. The part do not signigicantly change the blower noise and they are easily remove

PXL_20210123_182603735.jpg
PXL_20210124_005218390.jpg
Screenshot 2021-01-23 203053.jpg
That looks like a great design concept. The whole goal is to reduce the amount of airflow through the central portion of the defrost vent and force the air to exit the farther reaches of the vent. Did you try 5 plates across (an extra on either side with the all 10 mm holes, which may ensure good heating nearer the edge of the window and help airflow over the windshield remove slushy ice/snow buildup from the wiper? I have a friend with a 3D printer and will try these out.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
That looks like a great design concept. The whole goal is to reduce the amount of airflow through the central portion of the defrost vent and force the air to exit the farther reaches of the vent. Did you try 5 plates across (an extra on either side with the all 10 mm holes, which may ensure good heating nearer the edge of the window and help airflow over the windshield remove slushy ice/snow buildup from the wiper? I have a friend with a 3D printer and will try these out.
I actually think that 7 across will work best, with 3x 6mm in the middle, flanked by an 8mm and 10mm on each side. It's -15ºC here today, so I should be able to finally test it. The point of my design is to provide options for different conditions and make them easily removable. I'll have some local JL/JT friends test them too before I make the models public.

JeeperCreeper122

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
FYI - I have a couple of the plug sets that I designed printed out - I'm not looking to make a profit, you cover the shipping and a couple bucks to cover the cost of the filament and I'm happy to ship them out to you - just PM me if you are interested. (my design is not as cool as the one iblowatsports designed, but does the job in my JL)

Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost Screenshot 2021-01-23 203053
Ordered these from Tapper 2 days ago and they are here already! Thank you Tapper!

FoxyJeeper

First Name
Foxyjeeper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I’ve had the opportunity to try out my plugs a few time since my install and made a few tweaks. At first, it was much better towards the sides, but I noticed a little icing in the center because not enough hot air was hitting the windshield. Rather than remove some of the plugs, I drilled small holes in the plugs that are located under where the driver-side windshield wiper sits so a touch mire hot air can hit the wiper. It seems to be working how Jeep should have designed the vents in the first place. I drove around in record snow yesterday (snow falling at 2” per hour with over 20” in to total), and only had a little icing on the driver’s side, where the wiper hits the end of its reach and deposits the snow. This is to be expected. My wipers never iced over and my view was always clear. Not once did I have to stop and scrape ice off the windshield. Very happy!!

30863B6A-DE2E-4E04-8EBB-509913AF6989.jpeg

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I've heard lower the sun visor can help to keep the warm air trapped at the top of the windshield. Seems to work somewhat, but haven't been in a serious snow storm yet. Why wouldn't those super smaht engineers create a defrost only option ?
Sponsored