BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Did the 3/4" work? :) TIA

@Onward4x4 , The 3/4" plugs were a little large as is and kept popping out as soon as I put them in, so I sliced off the "fins" on all four sides, added a little strip of double sided tape to two edges and then installed them. They've been in for over a month now and I've run both the a/c and heat at a 5 on the fan speed with no movement whatsoever.

Right now I've got every other space filled in, but I may go back and fill in some of the open spots depending on how well the air is diffused across the windshield in defrost mode. I haven't had a chance to evaluate the defrost yet as temps haven't been that cold here.

FYI, the tops of the 3/4" plugs are a little too large to fit into the open spaces, so some trimming or sanding of the edges will probably be required.

IMG_20200905_163954.jpg

IMG_20200905_162842.jpg

IMG_20200905_170130.jpg

IMG_20200905_170337.jpg

IMG_20201003_101108.jpg
Sponsored

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Still working on this project?
This kind of stalled over the spring/summer. trying to get things in motion again. Will update the thread when we have some things to show.

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
gray duct tape.

you know i’m kidding of course !

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
After many trials (and errors), I think have the measurements nailed down. Now I have to wait for the proper weather to see if these work or need tweaks.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost IMG_1692.JPG
When you get the first ice of snow, let us know how it worked....Also if you do not mind share the measurements and where you picked up the items......

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
When you get the first ice of snow, let us know how it worked....Also if you do not mind share the measurements and where you picked up the items......
I 3d printed these. Currently, I printed 2 strips long enough to cover 10 vent holes each. I can go larger on my printer;s bed by a few more holes at least, but the holes seem to taper a bit as they go out past where I have the strips currently. Time will tell if the design works or needs to be tweaked. Also, I printed this with PLA which is not known for high temperature resistance so I also need to monitor if they are affected by the defroster on high heat settings and how they hold up in summer temperatures. The latter wont be able to be tested until next summer but, worst case I can just take them out in the summer. If it can't stand up to the hot defroster temperature, I may be forced to learn how to print ABS which is much more temperature resistant.

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I 3d printed these. Currently, I printed 2 strips long enough to cover 10 vent holes each. I can go larger on my printer;s bed by a few more holes at least, but the holes seem to taper a bit as they go out past where I have the strips currently. Time will tell if the design works or needs to be tweaked. Also, I printed this with PLA which is not known for high temperature resistance so I also need to monitor if they are affected by the defroster on high heat settings and how they hold up in summer temperatures. The latter wont be able to be tested until next summer but, worst case I can just take them out in the summer. If it can't stand up to the hot defroster temperature, I may be forced to learn how to print ABS which is much more temperature resistant.
They look great. Keep us posted and keep up the good work.

Sponsored

darrello

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n Rubicon JLUR
I had the first hard frost on my windshield today and I am hoping someone can confirm your mod and then make it available. Outsides of the windshield took forever to melt. Last winter in a storm we had to keep the defrost on like a sauna and still had terrible buildup on the sides.

LizardBoy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2019 2.0L
I, too, am waiting for this fix to become available somehow. The little square plugs work pretty well, but especially when it is very cold it can be like whack-a-mole!

waynegold

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have a UK registered right hand drive JL Rubicon with a similar issue with a twist !! The centre works fine and the passenger (US driver) is fine, but the driver does NOT work and it is going back to Jeep next week and i will keep you posted. It is my second one and i never noticed it on the last one

2020-07-03 07.36.43.jpg

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I hate this so much! 2(ish) weeks ago I was stuck in a blizzard in the CO mountains both wipers were frozen on the outside corners, Defrost on High with my face on fire! there's nothing worse than driving through mountain passes in a blizzard while reaching outside to snap the ice off of the wipers. I picked up some Winter wipers and a bottle of the -35F washer fluid. I really wish the defrost would work properly, there is no reason why this should be an issue, especially since it's a small windshield. I hope we get a good DIY to remedy this issue.