Yep! Here is Ebay, XXXXXXdo you have a link?
Here’s the pictures. I am going to get some black tape to smooth out the tops, eventually, I kind of like the industrial look.
i've been using the ebay plugs, worked pretty well last winter, but always looking for something better.I 3d printed these. Currently, I printed 2 strips long enough to cover 10 vent holes each. I can go larger on my printer;s bed by a few more holes at least, but the holes seem to taper a bit as they go out past where I have the strips currently. Time will tell if the design works or needs to be tweaked. Also, I printed this with PLA which is not known for high temperature resistance so I also need to monitor if they are affected by the defroster on high heat settings and how they hold up in summer temperatures. The latter wont be able to be tested until next summer but, worst case I can just take them out in the summer. If it can't stand up to the hot defroster temperature, I may be forced to learn how to print ABS which is much more temperature resistant.
It is looking like I am gonna have to figure out how to print in ABS as the PLA version I printed warped. Once I get it sorted, I'll give an update.i've been using the ebay plugs, worked pretty well last winter, but always looking for something better.
please let us know how yours turn out and if you want to make some money selling them, or at least the sizes of holes you used.
Whats one these scanners cost? Do we crowdfund one for you?I wish someone would use a handheld blue light or white light 3D scanner and get the details for the internals below the defrost grill. Then take that envelope and design a vane system to direct air more evenly across all the vents. If I had access to a scanner I would do it myself as the modeling of the vane system would be relatively easy and I could use thermal Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) to ensure good airflow across the vent. Based on the length of the vent I believe a three piece 3D printing will be required.
I am looking to see if I can either rent an Artec Space Spider locally. If I can get the defroster ventilation duct scanned and scan the defroster grid I can design a model with vanes to direct air to the outer openings to provide more coverage to the windshield. I plan to pull the defroster grid and drop the windshield so I have good access to use the scanner. I will keep you all updated. I hav a friend with a 3D printer so I could make some prototypes, but really want to use CFD to optimize air flow.Whats one these scanners cost? Do we crowdfund one for you?
The ones I posted are too big. Not sure why I didn't catch it, but 1" is too big. I'll try and get the right size posted up. Sorry!Yep! Here is Ebay, Ebay
Here is Amazon: Amazon
Install them carefully. I had one pop out the other day, but they've stayed well overall and I've had them awhile. I've had them in with the windshield folded, too, and the wind didn't bother them.
They can be modded a bit, I'm sure, if they are too loose for your satisfaction.
Also, I had to play a bit with placement to fine tune the air flow.
The ones I posted are too big. Not sure why I didn't catch it, but 1" is too big. I'll try and get the right size posted up. Sorry!
I ordered some extras and some for my brothers Gladiator and they arrived today, so again, sorry for the error!
I'm pretty sure then that mine are the 5/8". They are indeed a little loose, but they've stayed put. I was thinking maybe a single layer of electrical tape wrapped around it might snug it up.Most people in this thread used the 5/8" plugs and they seemed to have good success with them.
I tried 5/8" plugs but they kept popping out, so I went up in size to the 3/4" plugs. The 3/4" plugs were a little too large, but you can check Post #421 in this thread for how I installed them and got them to stay put. My 3/4" plugs haven't moved a bit even with the defrost fan speed on 5.
I tried the electrical tape on the 5/8" plugs but they still popped out as soon as I turned the defrost fan speed to 2.I'm pretty sure then that mine are the 5/8". They are indeed a little loose, but they've stayed put. I was thinking maybe a single layer of electrical tape wrapped around it might snug it up.